Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

The film also has Mathilda May in her birthday suit throughout most of the film, and also has Steve Railsback kissing Patrick Stewart... That's not even a joke.
It also has Peter Firth trying to be hard, Frank Findlay in lumpy prosthetics, some half-decent SFX, and a proper Quatermass-Britain-with-a-space-program vibe. Plus it has a naked Mathilde May. I realise you also mention her but it's worth repeating... 😀

I was thinking that leaving aside the, IMO, plot holes and/or its infeasibility... I'd think that the episode of NCIS-Los Ángeles:
The Bear.... About a Russian warplane managing to not only enter in the US airspace, but to disappear/avoid to be intercepted for later be revealed that somehow it, after to flying over US territory at will, finally was found that it had landed over a patch of land, again seemingly undetected. I think that the whole episode aside that would surely make headlines.
Given that, I'd guess that it would at least increase diplomatic and military tensions with Russia over this supposedly rogue plane/crews As well as that both the Press and the Congress would probably start to raise questions about the US Homeland airspace security and especially to the West Coast cities and their military/naval bases from any possible menace to the current administration and particularly to the US Air Force commands.

Death in Paradise. Britain has another overseas territory heavily influenced by the French due to history with a horrific murder rate when it comes to the global rich and famous.

The British Empire sucked, and they were certainly not 'the good guys' of the American Revolution. However, the actions of William Tavington from the movie The Patriot are lifted straight out of Nazi policy and the effects they would have had on the way the conflict was viewed would be something to behold (even the film itself has him mention his reputation would be in the dirt in England).

Last edited:
The British Empire sucked, and they were certainly not 'the good guys' of the American Revolution. However, the actions of William Tavington from the movie The Patriot are lifted straight out of Nazi policy and the effects they would have had on the way the conflict was viewed would be something to behold (even the film itself has him mention his reputation would be in the dirt in England).
His act of burning down the church filled with innocent civilians would've been burnt into the memory of every American today. The Boston Massacre is remembered and called a massacre even though only 5 people died. Travington's burning of that church and the people inside would've mythologized him in the American Lexicon as a monster greater than even his historical inspiration.

Shadow007

Banned
Hollywood 2020 Netflix series has a much better history than ours

Civil Rights movement starts in the 1940s thanks to the new inclusive films that promote racial and LGBT equality

Rock Hudson indirectly starts the MeToo movement

Alan Turing would flee to the US so he lives longer and happier. Technology progresses much faster

Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho: Relations between the United States and Japan are so extremely bad that the USSR can simply annex Hokkaido in 1974 without anyone lifting a finger to stop it. Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island. Although it does not matter much, because the United States, for reasons never clarified, has started World War III by directly attacking the Soviet Union.

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World, or just Yu-no (I refuse to put the name in Japanese, it's stupidly long): Japan, and maybe the world, uses a different number system than Arabic, and apparently there are cycles of catastrophes every 400 years. It is also possible that the Japanese are partially beings from another damn dimension.

War of the Worlds. Humanity now has plenty of new alien toys, mostly military gear, to disassemble and reverse engineer. As well as the knowledge that aliens are out there. And they are aggressive. And the only thing that can protect us from them is biological warfare.

Battleship. The fact that the United States and Japan have managed to contain an alien invasion should lead to less suspicion that Japan is arming itself, and the popularity of the Missouri would skyrocket around the world.

Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island.
From all the hypotheticals possible locations where to build one, I should say that I never 'd thought about that Hokkaido being one of them...

From all the hypotheticals possible locations where to build one, I should say that I never 'd thought about that Hokkaido being one of them...
My theory is that this was simply because the writer was faced with the problem that he needed it to be a Soviet artifact built in Japan and there was simply no realistic way for the USSR to keep, say, Kyushu.

Although I think that from the moment you try to build a damn space elevator to use it as a matter exchange generator with parallel universes, the realism doesn't matter a bit for you.

Geon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Here's a thought. Tom Clancy's EndWar. I never played it but the premise sounds interesting.

So,, here is a thought. Looking at the three factions (U.S..; European Federation; U.S.S.R.) and assuming a victory scenario for one of them, what is the world like with a U.S. victory, EF victory, or Russian victory respecively?

okkupert_tv_series-973030171-mmed.jpg

The 2015 dystopic Occupied/Okkupert (TV Series) seems that would have pretty dramatic and far reaching Althistorical consequences. And,chiefly among them,IMO, would be the virtual dissolution, as matter of fact, of the NATO and/or the Atlantic/European mutual security/defense treaties agreements as well as the US foreign defense policy:
In the near future, the Russian army, with the approval of the European Union, begins the invasion and occupation of Norway, a country that has paralyzed oil and gas production due to the climate change crisis due to lack of resources. With this action, the Russian Administration intends to ensure access to oil and gas exploitation in the region.

okkupert_tv_series-973030171-mmed.jpg

The 2015 dystopic Occupied/Okkupert (TV Series) seems that would have pretty dramatic and far reaching Althistorical consequences. And,chiefly among them,IMO, would be the virtual dissolution, as matter of fact, of the NATO and/or the Atlantic/European mutual security/defense treaties agreements as well as the US foreign defense policy:

I remember criticizing that premise as completely ASB. I'm honestly not sure which of the underlying assumptions strikes me as more idiotic:

1) The EU would be desperate enough for oil to get mad at Norway for shutting down its oil fields.

2) The EU would decide that the best solution to this is to overthrow the Norwegian government, instead of trying to negotiate an alternative, find another buyer, or something similar.

3) The EU would decide that instead of invading Norway themselves, it's a good idea to outsource the job to Russia.

4) Russia would decide to do the EU this favor literally for nothing, eating all the "badboy" themselves. Instead of, I don't know, maybe sell their oil to the EU?

5) Russia somehow manages to stage a successful invasion of Norway. Which requires ignoring minutiae like they'd have to transport the entire expeditionary force by sea (through the bloody Arctic, no less), or go through Sweden and Finland (that's just not going to happen).

In terms of plausibility, you could tell me that Germany staged the Unspeakable Marine Mammal, and it's just as believable.

6) Assuming that, by some ASB miracle, these five assumptions are achieved…the reaction of the rest of the world is to just sit back and watch. Nobody does anything.

I remember criticizing that premise as completely ASB. I'm honestly not sure which of the underlying assumptions strikes me as more idiotic:

1) The EU would be desperate enough for oil to get mad at Norway for shutting down its oil fields.

2) The EU would decide that the best solution to this is to overthrow the Norwegian government, instead of trying to negotiate an alternative, find another buyer, or something similar.

3) The EU would decide that instead of invading Norway themselves, it's a good idea to outsource the job to Russia.

4) Russia would decide to do the EU this favor literally for nothing, eating all the "badboy" themselves. Instead of, I don't know, maybe sell their oil to the EU?

5) Russia somehow manages to stage a successful invasion of Norway. Which requires ignoring minutiae like they'd have to transport the entire expeditionary force by sea (through the bloody Arctic, no less), or go through Sweden and Finland (that's just not going to happen).

In terms of plausibility, you could tell me that Germany staged the Unspeakable Marine Mammal, and it's just as believable.

6) Assuming that, by some ASB miracle, these five assumptions are achieved…the reaction of the rest of the world is to just sit back and watch. Nobody does anything.
Yeah, this series screenwriters/producers seems from the kind (like the Red Dawn ones), that wouldn't let that little thing as realism or plausibility would be in their way to develop their idea/premise...

Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho: Relations between the United States and Japan are so extremely bad that the USSR can simply annex Hokkaido in 1974 without anyone lifting a finger to stop it. Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island. Although it does not matter much, because the United States, for reasons never clarified, has started World War III by directly attacking the Soviet Union.

War of the Worlds. Humanity now has plenty of new alien toys, mostly military gear, to disassemble and reverse engineer. As well as the knowledge that aliens are out there. And they are aggressive. And the only thing that can protect us from them is biological warfare.
THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD THAT KNOW OF "THE PLACE PROMISED IN OUR EARLY DAYS"!!

For war of the worlds there actually is a midling animated movie exploring exactly that premise: