Alt. Battleships discussion_possible increases in battleship performance

Fouling. USN researched the RN very hard in the 1920s and figured trials would fall off this much for the KGVs in the latter 1930s when first proposed. They did fall off that much. Trial was 28-29. Seaway AT FLANK full load was 24-25.
Er is that not basically irrelevant to the quoted speed as all ship to some extent slow down with sea way, fowling and load in worse case situations? KVGs where in no way 24-25Kn ships unless you want to reduce all other ships down as well.........

McPherson

Banned
Er is that not basically irrelevant to the quoted speed as all ship to some extent slow down with sea way, fowling and load in worse case situations? KVGs where in no way 24-25Kn ships unless you want to reduce all other ships down as well.........
Can't help that since barnacles love ships. The KGVs max battle speed was as given. Full load was about 43,000 tonnes. Deep load was 46,000 tonnes. No ship was immune. Iowas were supposed to be 33 knots. In practice, more like 27-29 knots.

Fouling. USN researched the RN very hard in the 1920s and figured trials would fall off this much for the KGVs in the latter 1930s when first proposed. They did fall off that much. Trial was 28-29. Seaway AT FLANK full load was 24-25.
I'd say 30-31 would be closer, Hood needed an extra 5k to be pulled down to 28-29 knots (Her speed in 40, around 26.5 probably wasn't helped by fouling but was mainly due to a dire machinery situation)
IIRC PoW was pulling off 29 when green running with Hood on the intercept? The seaway was no pacific flat calm either
I don't see G3 making 33, but 28 is a huge drag down.
Sure, overtime speed gets pulled down with fouling (and it applies to PoW, but i digress) depends how often your ship gets into drydock to have the shit scraped off.

Last edited:
Until the invention of anti-fouling paint, every ship lost 3-4 knots when fouled compared to clean. That said, both KGV and POW made 27 and 28 knots many times in confrontations with both Bismarck and Tirpitz.

With the exception of the QE class (the problems with which we have discussed before) the DNC tended to slightly exceed their design speeds in this era. And AIUI they tended to get more conservative with their estimates after the QE’s. I would not be surprised to see the G3’s have made 32 knots.

I got it from this discussion on Shipbucket:

To quote the relevant posts:
From smurf

From Hood

From smurf
A good discussion they had there, thanks for the link. So, we’ll have assume a small drag at low speeds, although it surprises me as they are used widely today on slower ships. Maybe it’s the crudeness if the early designs? They are basically a cut cruiser stern where the sides are converging on a point a little aft of the transom (before the stern is cut off), whereas many OTL stern maybe don’t go as deep but converge on a point much further back.
Certainly the depth raises the speed where they become beneficial.
Anyone with some specialized knowledge on ship design?

McPherson

Banned
Anyone with some specialized knowledge on ship design?
Not my specialty, but note modern transom stern freighters and tankers have the square-cut above the V notch meet at the stern post rudder pivot? Also these commercial examples are less than 20 knots and are not so concerned with rudder kick out as they do not perform a high speed dodge maneuver like a modern warship, where skid out and the kick and the lean are important tail control issues in a tight formation.

thaddeus

Donor
could you combine all forward firing main battery, as the French did, with the bow and stern mentioned above to even greater effect? since that concentrates the citadel already? (the two large quad turrets)

Not my specialty, but note modern transom stern freighters and tankers have the square-cut above the V notch meet at the stern post rudder pivot? Also these commercial examples are less than 20 knots and are not so concerned with rudder kick out as they do not perform a high speed dodge maneuver like a modern warship, where skid out and the kick and the lean are important tail control issues in a tight formation.
I guess the part about otl transoms is the same. They don’t go as deep as the cut cruiser stern.

could you combine all forward firing main battery, as the French did, with the bow and stern mentioned above to even greater effect? since that concentrates the citadel already? (the two large quad turrets)
I would strongly suspect so, beamier stern with engines, a forward battery and a pointed bow that nevertheless gets buoyancy forward with the bulbous bow.

Here is a short attempt at Admiral Hipper class. In this example I have assumed they would try to get away with the same dimensions as OTL so the ship gets above 20000 tons with the more bulky hull.
In this way they could upgun the 2x4x206mm to 2x4x283 mm, have it very well armed against 8 inch fire and you can see there is capacity for more. We could also shrink it a bit.

A scharnhorst class is different because it wasnt really trying to fit in, but on a similarly lengthy hull you could imagine 3x3x380 mm and some better armor with OTL performance otherwise (it could get 6000 tons heavier).

Notice that the engine slider doesnt work, so I set the engine weight for half what it takes to get 32 knts. It seems to be more than what was used IOTL.

Hipper class:
Hipper class, Germany Cruiser laid down 1937

Displacement:
16.714 t light; 17.669 t standard; 21.006 t normal; 23.676 t full load

Dimensions: Length (overall / waterline) x beam x draught (normal/deep)
(695,12 ft / 672,57 ft) x 71,19 ft x (23,62 / 26,06 ft)
(211,87 m / 205,00 m) x 21,70 m x (7,20 / 7,94 m)

Armament:
8 - 11,14" / 283 mm 55,0 cal guns - 746,46lbs / 338,59kg shells, 150 per gun
Breech loading guns in turret on barbette mounts, 1937 Model
4 x 2-gun mounts on centreline ends, evenly spread
2 raised mounts - superfiring
12 - 4,13" / 105 mm 55,0 cal guns - 38,13lbs / 17,29kg shells, 150 per gun
Dual purpose guns in deck and hoist mounts, 1937 Model
12 x Single mounts on sides, evenly spread
Weight of broadside 6.429 lbs / 2.916 kg

Armour:
- Belts: Width (max) Length (avg) Height (avg)
Main: 5,91" / 150 mm 328,08 ft / 100,00 m 16,40 ft / 5,00 m
Ends: 1,97" / 50 mm 328,08 ft / 100,00 m 9,84 ft / 3,00 m
16,40 ft / 5,00 m Unarmoured ends
Upper: 1,97" / 50 mm 328,08 ft / 100,00 m 8,20 ft / 2,50 m
Main Belt covers 75 % of normal length

- Torpedo Bulkhead - Additional damage containing bulkheads:
0,79" / 20 mm 590,55 ft / 180,00 m 39,37 ft / 12,00 m
Beam between torpedo bulkheads 59,06 ft / 18,00 m

- Gun armour: Face (max) Other gunhouse (avg) Barbette/hoist (max)
Main: 5,91" / 150 mm 3,94" / 100 mm 3,94" / 100 mm
2nd: 1,97" / 50 mm 1,57" / 40 mm 1,57" / 40 mm

- Armoured deck - multiple decks:
For and Aft decks: 3,94" / 100 mm
Forecastle: 0,79" / 20 mm Quarter deck: 0,79" / 20 mm

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Geared drive, 3 shafts, 59.932 shp / 44.709 Kw = 26,75 kts
Range 10.000nm at 19,00 kts
Bunker at max displacement = 6.006 tons

Complement:
872 - 1.134

Cost:
£8,472 million / $33,887 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 1.793 tons, 8,5 %
- Guns: 1.793 tons, 8,5 %
Armour: 5.710 tons, 27,2 %
- Belts: 1.867 tons, 8,9 %
- Torpedo bulkhead: 677 tons, 3,2 %
- Armament: 781 tons, 3,7 %
- Armour Deck: 2.384 tons, 11,4 %
Machinery: 1.661 tons, 7,9 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 7.550 tons, 35,9 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 4.293 tons, 20,4 %
Miscellaneous weights: 0 tons, 0,0 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
36.739 lbs / 16.665 Kg = 53,1 x 11,1 " / 283 mm shells or 6,0 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1,12
Metacentric height 3,7 ft / 1,1 m
Roll period: 15,5 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 58 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0,82
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1,17

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has a flush deck,
an extended bulbous bow and large transom stern
Block coefficient (normal/deep): 0,650 / 0,664
Length to Beam Ratio: 9,45 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 29,29 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 48 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 50
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 40,00 degrees
Stern overhang: 3,28 ft / 1,00 m
Freeboard (% = length of deck as a percentage of waterline length):
Fore end, Aft end
- Forecastle: 20,00 %, 22,97 ft / 7,00 m, 19,69 ft / 6,00 m
- Forward deck: 30,00 %, 19,69 ft / 6,00 m, 18,04 ft / 5,50 m
- Aft deck: 35,00 %, 18,04 ft / 5,50 m, 16,40 ft / 5,00 m
- Quarter deck: 15,00 %, 16,40 ft / 5,00 m, 16,40 ft / 5,00 m
- Average freeboard: 18,35 ft / 5,59 m
Ship tends to be wet forward

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 70,5 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 150,3 %
Waterplane Area: 38.269 Square feet or 3.555 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 131 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 157 lbs/sq ft or 765 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 1,17
- Longitudinal: 1,12
- Overall: 1,14
Excellent machinery, storage, compartmentation space
Excellent accommodation and workspace room
How do you squeeze 8 11" guns onto a Hipper size hull? The turrets would have to be wider than the 8" turrets and your hull width is 2 feet wider than the OTL hull. ANd I don't see how you would get the extra weight of the turret into the hull.

And if I am reading correctly you said you set the engine size to half of what it takes to get to 32 knots. This would probably give you 24-35 knots max. I'm basing that on reports I have seen that the Iowa class can cruise on half its engineering plant and only needs the other half to increase the speed from 25-33 knots. I have seen similar power curves for other warships of the era.

How do you squeeze 8 11" guns onto a Hipper size hull? The turrets would have to be wider than the 8" turrets and your hull width is 2 feet wider than the OTL hull. ANd I don't see how you would get the extra weight of the turret into the hull.

And if I am reading correctly you said you set the engine size to half of what it takes to get to 32 knots. This would probably give you 24-35 knots max. I'm basing that on reports I have seen that the Iowa class can cruise on half its engineering plant and only needs the other half to increase the speed from 25-33 knots. I have seen similar power curves for other warships of the era.
It’s not a hipper size hull, it just have hipper size length, beam and draught, but it’s much heavier.
Regarding each turret barbette the beam is very close to graf spee, so not impossible.
weightwise, the program does seriously penalize heavier guns and really, it’s undergunned compared to the Deutschland class when you consider how much bigger it is.
You may be right about the speed, but what I list here is half the engine weight that gives 32 knots in the program (with the engine slider at 100).
Maybe the speed difference should be bigger.

Last edited:

thaddeus

Donor
my speculation was for 3x2 11" turrets on something smaller than the historical Scharnhorst-class, although 3x3 11" guns would likely be the desired array

I got it from this discussion on Shipbucket:

To quote the relevant posts:
From smurf

From Hood

From smurf

Probably worth mentioning

She also served as a test case for transom sterns for the G3s. But who are we kidding? Ultimately the need to squeeze a G/N3 in docks would lead to the transom stern. Not speed. Just like the all forward armament. As we have been saying all along. Compromises.

All forward is dead in the water in the 30s for those paying attention. Magnetic fuses mean it is just a matter of time till ships are taking big hits under water. On one hand, with hindsight we know those hits are going to become spine destroying, but in the intermediate there is a hope dispersal of armament and engineering will preserve some fighting capability.

Hi, sorry I let the discussion die out.

On the subject of fouling I found this historical review. It seems that at the time the paints could last for 9 months while techniques were in place to extend this to 18 months, but cumbersome to use. Are these timeframes detrimental in this period?

Best regards

Probably worth mentioning

She also served as a test case for transom sterns for the G3s. But who are we kidding? Ultimately the need to squeeze a G/N3 in docks would lead to the transom stern. Not speed. Just like the all forward armament. As we have been saying all along. Compromises.

All forward is dead in the water in the 30s for those paying attention. Magnetic fuses mean it is just a matter of time till ships are taking big hits under water. On one hand, with hindsight we know those hits are going to become spine destroying, but in the intermediate there is a hope dispersal of armament and engineering will preserve some fighting capability.
I like the Adventure example. It pertains to the discussion above as she was made to improve cruising efficiency which is stated at 17 knots.

Also good point about the all forward, but how does that relate to the French designs. They were contemporary with magnetic mines?

The French didn't care about (or perhaps know about) under hull fuses.

The English did and it was one of the considerations in the KGVs not being all forward.

McPherson

Banned
The French didn't care about (or perhaps know about) under hull fuses.

The English did and it was one of the considerations in the KGVs not being all forward.
The evidences suggests that the French did not.

OTOH, i did not know they had duplicated German research into radiation detector activated mines. For those not familiar with this crazy idea, the theory was that cosmic rays from outer space would be blocked partially by a ship passing over a mine. The particle counter would notice the eclipse and a signal census circuit very similar to what one finds in a magnetic field detector would notice the signal drop and an electrical circuit designed to function off this signal drop detection would fire a solenoid and BOOM.

I think this might have actually worked.

The other issue is that a transom Yamato would become even more of a fuel hog at low/medium cruising speeds and lose range, both things that would hurt IJN seriously?
I mentioned up thread that the transom was tested in 1920. This was when they were creating designs that would eventually evolve into the G3 and N3 classes. They found that the point when it went from drag to benefit was 25 knots.

Now this number would be different for every ship depending on length and hull form (Froude number). But since both Yamato and Bismarck were shorter and Beamier than G3 it seems likely that the changeover speed would be higher, rather than lower.

Therefore it seems likely that the ship will be less efficient at cruising speed as it will have already passed the point where wave making resistance is dominant but will not have reached the point where the transom stops creating excess turbulence in the flow of water around the hull. The benefit would come from having a higher “natural hull speed”, and therefore being able to reach higher speeds on the same power plant.
Somwhow ... I've problems following you.
The second picture (post #15) of a todays or "modern" - comapared to the Yamato - cargo ship is ... a cargo ship whichs "sweet spot" of speed and economics ist at ... slow(er) and cruising speed (somewhere in the 10 to 15 knots zone despite it rather 'unspeedy' bur cargo-capacity friendly overall form) to be economic and profitable as well [fast enough] I would assume).

However, the so-called "transom stern" of the Yamato looks more like a kinda handmade wanna be construction trying to combine ever wished for abilitiy :
- increased top speed (with lower fuel consumption)
- good steerability at esp also low paces
- please the possibly rather 'old-fashioned' old-type old decider admirals
About those 'tests' for N3 and G3 ... these were tests of ... how many forms ? ... under how many conditions ? under what proer anticipations about hydrodynamics ?

Also ... every modern warship of today actually has a transom stern and due to known thights on budget (also for running a ship) they have to be most economic on the speed they most of the time travel on ... cruising speed ;)

Unfortunatly and obviously noone of us (or at Shipbucket for that) ist actually trained and competenly teached enough in ship-design to truly argue in the above way.
Modern practise rather teach the way of Gudesteins thoughts.

The concept is fine, but I suspect that the instrumentation needed to reliably pull it off in a military mine were a little iffy in the 40's.
Yeah, even today I would be pretty skeptical of using it in a military system of that sort. The instrumentation to detect the modulation of cosmic ray flux from a battleship passing overhead (at least for a not too deeply placed mine...) certainly exists, but it is mostly research-grade stuff. Hardening it to withstand shock (you do NOT want to be using PMTs in your fancy mine!), rough handling, big temperature swings, sitting in storage for years and years before getting deployed, sitting underwater for months or years AFTER getting deployed...that's a big challenge. Definitely not trivial, even if possible!