All of James I/VI's children survive to adulthood

VVD0D95

Banned
Because without it/the Stuarts there's NO WAY England/Britain can build up an empire like she did OTL? I disagree. Most of the "empire" England had until the ARW was acquired by the Stuarts (Bombay/Mumbai, what would later become the 13 Colonies, islands in the Caribbean). The Hannoverians oversaw a development of it, but the groundwork was laid in the Stuart period (aquiring New York from the Dutch or Delaware from the Swedes, granting charters to William Penn and the Carolina Colony are examples I can think of off the top of my head).

Britain didn't become a great power post-1688 out of nothing. So to say that something like the lack of a Glorious Revolution would mean that Britain is going to become some provincial backwater stagnating in absolutism or unable to project influence beyond its own borders, is really just wiahful thinking. Would it go as OTL - highly unlikely.

But when you think about it, except for the BRIEF period of the reign of Queen Anne, England managed to carve out that empire with a continental millstone (first the Netherlands, then Hannover, no offense to the Dutch or the Germans) slung around its neck, and yet STILL managed to prosper, why would NOT having that millstone mean that she wouldn't?

Whig revisionism

VVD0D95

Banned
What about a match with the Austrian branch of the Habsburgs? She's far enough back in the succession (since by the time she weds, her two oldest brother and oldest sister likely all have kids already) that even were she to convert to marry Ferdinand III, while Protestant Englishmen would be unhappy about it, barring an Act of Settlement type situation skipping over 50-odd claimants to get to this Sophia's line, she's reasonably "unimportant".

The fact that there WAS an English Revolution OTL, and just over a decade later, they brought back the monarchy and never went republican again makes me question this.

Why would keeping the Stuarts around do this? As said before, Oliver Cromwell had FAR more power than the Stuarts EVER did, he ruled as essentially a "despot", but not sure anyone ever asserts that the protectorate HARMED English interests in the long term (the navy at the time being - IIRC - one of the best in Europe; English literacy rate exceding most of the European contemporaries; etc). Why would a Stuart king instead of a Nassau, Oldenburg, Hannoverian or Wettin be any worse and "retard England's trajectory"?

Oh I like that, that would be fascinating to see especially if henrh is married to Anne

Thomas1195

Banned
The Hannoverians oversaw a development of it, but the groundwork was laid in the Stuart period (aquiring New York from the Dutch or Delaware from the Swedes, granting charters to William Penn and the Carolina Colony are examples I can think of off the top of my head).
Frankly, the New England Pilgrims with their massive numerical advantage in North America could have done the same with New York and Pennsylvania under any regime.

Britain didn't become a great power post-1688 out of nothing. So to say that something like the lack of a Glorious Revolution would mean that Britain is going to become some provincial backwater stagnating in absolutism or unable to project influence beyond its own borders, is really just wiahful thinking. Would it go as OTL - highly unlikely.
The Glorious Revolution brought many financial innovations to Britain you know. More importantly, the new regime also boosted the voice of the mercantile class in politics (merchants got more influence during the Interregnum, but then were nerfed under Charles II and James II).

In addition, it also screwed the Dutch big time and Britain gained the most from that. During the 1688 invasion, the invading Dutch fleet outnumbered James' poorly maintained navy by 2 to 1. And then, the 1689 naval agreement tied the Anglo-Dutch fleet ratio to 5:3.

VVD0D95

Banned
Frankly, the New England Pilgrims with their massive numerical advantage in North America could have done the same with New York and Pennsylvania under any regime.

The Glorious Revolution brought many financial innovations to Britain you know. More importantly, the new regime also boosted the voice of the mercantile class in politics (merchants got more influence during the Interregnum, but then were nerfed under Charles II and James II).

In addition, it also screwed the Dutch big time and Britain gained the most from that. During the 1688 invasion, the invading Dutch fleet outnumbered James' poorly maintained navy by 2 to 1. And then, the 1689 naval agreement tied the Anglo-Dutch fleet ratio to 5:3.

Still, there's nothing to say that Henry or one of his successors couldn't try bringing in financial changes similar to what was brought in otl. After all, under Charles I a central bank was actually proposed.

They could've. But considering that in the 60years the Hannoverians controlled the US only ONE new colony (Georgia) was established (this is excluding plans for Vandalia or Westsylvania or whatever weird names they came up with). While none during the Protectorate. That's about the same length of time (excluding the Interregnum) that the Stuarts controlled the east coast during which everything NOT Virginia or Georgia/Florida was established/chartered.

it also screwed the Dutch big time and Britain gained the most from that. During the 1688 invasion, the invading Dutch fleet outnumbered James' poorly maintained navy by 2 to 1. And then, the 1689 naval agreement tied the Anglo-Dutch fleet ratio to 5:3.

An agreement that fell by the wayside post-William III. Yet the Dutch didn't recover despite having a government not unlike the Whig oligarchy in Britain, dominated by a wealthy merchant class, a central bank and religious freedom (only the LAST of which Britain didn't have in the 18th century). Yet Britain thrived and the Dutch didn't. Again, no offense to the Dutch, but your so-called plus points could just as easily prove to be negatives. It was a happy accident in Britain it DIDN'T turn out that way.