Alfonso of Trastamara Lives

Henry IV of Castile had a daughter, Joanna La Beltraneja. However, the Castilian nobles rebelled and forced Henry IV to recognise his brother Alfonso as his heir. Alfonso died before he could succeed, leaving his sister Isabella as Queen of Castile. What if Alfonso lived? How would this effect Iberia and Europe? What if?

Also, Alfonso was to marry his niece Joanna to unite the line(yuk!).

Probably a postponed unification of crowns, but hardly butterflying it, as the process was already engaged.

Now, having a nobility victory would seriously weaken the royal position. Not only it could lead to another civil war (if chasing a king is so easy, why not continuing to do so if you're dissatisfied with) that would delay as said unification but also conquest of Grenada.

Eventually, it could mean butterfly the discovery of Americas by a Spanish fleet.

Other than that...I don't see which changes worth of mention could happen.

Probably a postponed unification of crowns, but hardly butterflying it, as the process was already engaged.

Of course there will be no Union of the Crowns. History went in a very specific way and everything will be thrown over now. I don't see this process. Sure, Aragon was under the House of Trastamara but that doesn't automatically mean Spain.

Of course there will be no Union of the Crowns. History went in a very specific way and everything will be thrown over now. I don't see this process. Sure, Aragon was under the House of Trastamara but that doesn't automatically mean Spain.

1) Spain isn't the same than Union of the Crowns. If it helps, think of Scotland and England being united but kings failing to fusion the crowns before a long time.

If we really want to talk technicalities, Spain wasn't unified before Philipp V in the early XVIII century.

2) You don't see the process, yet you know that Trastamare House managed to spawn in both realms. The OTL marriage between Isabella and Ferran isn't some sort of historical accident, but happened precisely because earlier stages were reached for this and was searched by both dynastic branches with support of at least Aragonese high nobility, clergy, etc.

History doesn't go in a "specific way", that's predestination you're talking about. History, events how they happened, were made because of several, conflicting tendencies. And the tendency to union between Aragon and Castile was a strong one, that was reinforced with time depsite backs and returns (critically during the troubles of Henri's reign, but that hardly prevented Aragon to continue to search the wedding with Ferran, or Joan II)

Even in the event the kingdoms do unite(which I doubt is set in concrete) this will still have massive butterflies.

I stand by this. Castile and Aragon will remain independent for a while longer.