Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Hum.... could Mr Carr's star be hitched to a family giving them access to the King?

Still do not like him, even if he has proven to be a little more Human.

I wonder if King James will be upset that his boytoy is now interested in someone else. I wonder if he will either take revenge or he will mend his relationship with his wife.

Chapter 21: Marriage

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 21: Marriage

August, 1610

Henry took a breath. Music was playing softly in the background and the Abbey was full. It was his wedding day and he was nervous. Not because he didn’t want to be married, of course he did, he’d briefly met his wife to be at a dinner the night before, they’d been introduced and he’d found her incredibly beautiful. More so than the miniature he’d been given. No, he was nervous because he was terrified that he might mess up the words he had to say.

That would be terribly embarrassing.

He turned around as the doors to Westminster Abbey opened, and his bride to be entered. She was accompanied by the Polish ambassador and her ladies. They walked slowly and solemnly, allowing the people gathered in the Abbey a good look at the bride to be. When she appeared before him, Henry exhaled.

How am I so lucky to be marrying someone so divine? Henry thought to himself. His bride to be was beautiful, she made everyone else look insignificant.

Anna Maria smiled as she came to stand at his side. Henry returned her smile, his heart thumping. The music stopped, and they turned to face the altar, where the elderly Archbishop of Canterbury, Richard Bancroft was stood. The man looked as if he might fall over. But, when he spoke, he did so loudly and clearly.

“A wedding is one of life’s great moments, a time of solemn commitment as well as good wishes, feasting and joy. St John tells us how Jesus shared in such an occasion at Cana, and gave there a sign of new beginnings as he turned water into wine.”

Henry recognised the passage; it came from 1 Corinthians. The Archbishop continued.

“Marriage is intended by God to be a creative relationship, as his blessing enables husband and wife to love and support each other in good times and bad, and to share in the care and upbringing of children. Marriage is also an invitation to share life together in the spirit of Jesus Christ. It is based upon a solemn, public and life-long covenant between a man and a woman, declared and celebrated in the presence of God and before witnesses.”

Bancroft cleared his throat and continued. “On this their wedding day, the bride and bridegroom face each other, make their promises and receive God’s blessing. You gathered here today, are witnesses of the marriage and express your support, by your presence and your prayers. Your support does not end today: the couple will value continued encouragement in the days and years ahead of them.”

Henry shared a look with Anna Maria and blushed, she truly was beautiful.

Bancroft continued. “Love is patient, love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing; but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things; believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things.”

Bancroft stepped back for just a moment to take a sip of wine and then he stepped forward again and continued. “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you.”

“And also, with you.” Henry, Anna Maria and the entire party gathered in the Abbey replied.

Bancroft spoke and Henry and his wife to be and all others gathered echoed him. “God of wonder and of joy, grace comes from you, and you alone are the source of life and love. Without you, we cannot please you. Without your love, our deeds are worth nothing. Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts that most excellent gift of love, that we may worship you now with thankful hearts and serve you always with willing minds; through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

“Amen.”

The music started up again, playing the melody to a song that had recently been written based on Psalm 103, written by Lancelot Andrews, the Bishop of Ely and presented before the King a few days ago.

It was a good song, and inspiring song, and one that Henry would commit to his memory. When it finished, the music stopped and Bancroft stepped forward once more. He looked as if he might keel over, and yet somehow, he remained standing.

“In the presence of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we have come together to witness the marriage of His Highness Henry, Prince of Wales and Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland, to pray for God’s blessing on them, to share their joy and to celebrate their love.”

Henry shared a look with Anna, there might not be love between them yet, but he was hopeful that in time something could develop. He already felt strongly for her. At least he thought he did.

“Marriage is a gift of God in creation through which husband and wife may know the grace of God. It is given that as man and woman grow together in love and trust, they shall be united with one another in heart, body and mind, as Christ is united with his bride, the Church.”

Henry nodded, he desperately hoped that this would come true for them. He didn’t want to be like his parents.

“The gift of marriage brings husband and wife together in the delight and tenderness of union and joyful commitment to the end of their lives. It is given as the foundation of family life in which children are born and nurtured and in which each member of the family in good times and bad, may find strength, companionship and comfort and grow to maturity in love.”

Henry really wanted to hold Anna’s hand but he resisted the urge.

“Marriage is a way of life made holy by God, and blessed by the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ with those celebrating a wedding at Cana in Galilee. Marriage is a sign of unity and loyalty which all should uphold and honour. It enriches society and strengthens community. No one should enter into it lightly or selfishly but reverently and responsibly in the sight of Almighty God.”

Henry wondered what his father made of this sermon. It did seem to Henry, like quite a severe rebuke to the King, given his preference for Carr over the Queen, Henry’s mother.

Bancroft finished off. “His Highness Henry, Prince of Wales and Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland are now to enter this way of life. They will give each other their consent and make solemn vows and in token of this they will give and receive a ring. We pray with them that the Holy Spirit will guide and strengthen them, that they may fulfil God’s purposes for the whole of their earthly life together.”

Henry glanced at Anna and saw that she was looking at him. In order to reassure her, he smiled at her, she smiled back and then Bancroft was speaking once more.

“Firstly, I am required to ask anyone present who knows a reason why these persons may not be lawfully wed, to declare it now.”

Nobody answered. Bancroft continued.

“The vows you are about to take are to be made in the presence of God, who is judge of all and knows all the secrets of our hearts; therefore, if either of you knows a reason why you may not lawfully marry, you must declare it now.”

Henry looked at Anna Maria and she looked back at him, neither of them said anything. Henry turned to face Bancroft.

“Your Highness Prince Henry, will you take Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland to be your wife? Will you love her, comfort her, honour and protect her and forsaking all others be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”

Gladly. “I will.” Henry said.

Bancroft turned to face Anna Maria. “Your Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland, will you take His Highness Prince Henry to be your husband? Will you love him, comfort him, honour and protect him, and forsaking all others be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?”

“I will.” Anna Maria said, glancing at him.

Bancroft’s voice got louder then. “Will you, the families and friends of Their Highnesses support and uphold them in their marriage now and in the years to come?”

“We will.” Came the reply.

“Be seated.” Bancroft said to Henry and Anna, Henry sat to the man’s right, Anna to his left.

Bancroft continued. “God our Father, from the beginning you have blessed creation with abundant life. Pour out your blessings upon Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria, that they may be joined in mutual love and companionship, in holiness and commitment to each other. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your son, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.”

“Amen.” Henry replied.

Bancroft gave a reading of the Lord’s time helping others, and Henry found himself planning out how he himself would go and help others, like the Lord had done. He would be a true Christian King, and he would strive to be a good husband to Anna Maria. He would not be like his father; he would not give way to favourites or whores.

Bancroft bid them rise as a second hymn was sung. Henry looked over to Anna Maria and smiled at her, she blushed as she looked back and his heart raced.

The hymn finished and Henry and Anna Maria moved out to stand before Bancroft who in a solid voice spoke. “Your Highnesses, I now invite you to join hands and make your vows in the presence of God and his people.”

Henry turned to face Anna and she turned to face him, Henry took her right hand in his, and then in as clear a voice as he could he spoke.

“I, Henry, take you Anna Maria, to be my wife. To have and to hold from this day forward. For better or for worse, for richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part; according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God, I make this vow.” He let go of her hand and instantly missed the contact.

Anna took his hand after a few moments and then she spoke. “I, Anna Maria, take you, Henry, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part; according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God, I make this vow.”

They let go of each other’s hands.

Henry’s brother Charles, and the Polish ambassador stepped forward, and handed the rings to Bancroft, who then said. “Heavenly Father, by your blessing let these rings be to His Highness Prince Henry and Her Highness Princess Anna Maria a symbol of unending love and faithfulness, to remind them of the vow and covenant which they have made this day through Jesus Christ Our Lord.”

“Amen.”

Henry took the ring from Bancroft’s right hand that Charles had given him, he turned to Anna Maria and placed it on the fourth finger of her left hand and looked into her eyes and said. “Anna Maria, I give you this ring as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have, I share with you. Within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”

He let go of her hand and Anna took his left hand and placed her ring on his fourth finger and said. “Henry, I give you this ring, as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you. Within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”

They looked at one another, and in that look, Henry saw his future. His heart was racing now.

They let go of one another and faced Bancroft. “In the presence of God and before this congregation, Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria have given their consent and made their marriage vows to each other. They have declared their marriage by the joining of their hands and by giving and receiving of rings. I therefore proclaim that they are husband and wife.”

Bancroft took both their right hands and joined them together and said. “Those whom God has joined together let no one put asunder.”

Still holding their hands together, Bancroft spoke. “Blessed are you, o Lord our God, for you have created joy and gladness, pleasure and delight, love, peace and fellowship. Pour out the abundance of your blessing upon His Highness Prince Henry and Her Highness Princess Anna Maria in their new life together. Let their love for each other be a seal upon their hearts and a crown upon their heads. Bless them in their work and in their companionship; awake and asleep, in joy and in sorrow, in life and in death. Finally, in your mercy bring them to that banquet where your saints feast forever in your heavenly home. We ask this through Jesus Christ your son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.”

“Amen.”

Henry looked at Anna Maria, and felt the urge to kiss her overwhelm him. With great reluctance he turned back to face Bancroft and heard him say. “God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, bless, preserve and keep you; the Lord mercifully grant you the riches of his grace, that you may please him both in body and soul, that living together in faith and love, may receive the blessings of eternal life.”

“Amen.”

A clerk appeared with the registration book and a quill. Henry took the quill first and bent down to sign his name where needed. He then handed the quill to Anna Maria who also signed her name. The Clerk showed the book with their signatures to Bancroft who nodded, the clerk shut the book and then took the quill and walked away.

Bancroft then spoke once more. “Faithful God, holy and eternal, source of life and spring of love, we thank and praise you for bringing Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria to this day, and we pray for them. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.” Henry and Anna Maria and all others said.

“May their marriage be life giving and life long, enriched by your presence and strengthened by your grace; may they bring comfort and confidence to each other in faithfulness and trust. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May the hospitality of their home bring refreshment and joy to all around them; may their love overflow to neighbours in need and embrace those in distress. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May they discern in your word order and purpose for their lives; and may the power of your Holy Spirit lead them in truth and defend them in adversity. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May they nurture their family with devotion, see their children grow in body, mind and spirit and come at last to the end of their lives with hearts content and in joyful anticipation of heaven. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

The final moments of the ceremony were approaching, Henry took a deep breath, and with the rest of the congregation listened as Bancroft invited them to say the Lord’s Prayer.

“Our father in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we give those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.”

Bancroft fixed his gaze on Henry and Anna Maria then and said. “God the Holy Trinity, make you strong in faith and love, defend you on every side, and guide you in truth and peace; and blessings of God almighty, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit be among you and remain with you always.”

“Amen.”

Henry looked at Bancroft who nodded, Henry turned to Anna Maria, and lifted her veil, he then slowly moved toward her and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips. He felt heat pass between them. He pulled back and smiled at her, and was relieved when she smiled back. It was done, they were married.

"He would not be like his father; he would not give way to favourites or whores." - lets hope you hold to that Henry!

Didn't the marriage vows inculde something about'honour and obay' or is that something from later?