Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

James read through the report that Henry had compiled for him on the building work that was happening at St James, and nodded. Everything had been accounted for. The thing likely would be done by the time Anna had given birth and that was due to happen by the end of the year. James was somewhat in awe of how often his son and daughter in law were doing their duty. This child would be their third child in four years of marriage. He would need to urge his son to give it a rest after this one, for both their sakes.
Given the OTL Palatinate schedule, not that James' liver would win much from change in amount of thanksgiving feasts, but then one per year is less than two.

Interesting update, I will say considering what happened to the Spanish party OTL it isn't surprising to see its leaders 'flip' TTL.

VVD0D95

Banned
Given the OTL Palatinate schedule, not that James' liver would win much from change in amount of thanksgiving feasts, but then one per year is less than two.
Indeed indeed, and also, Anna Maria might benefit from a bit of a rest aha.
Interesting update, I will say considering what happened to the Spanish party OTL it isn't surprising to see its leaders 'flip' TTL.
Oh most definitely

Glad to see this development as much as it would be interesting to see how the Spain cooperative colonies would have looked like, I very much doubt it would be good for either country.
Like England in OTL, the Spanish would be annoyed about the lack of gold and would most likely push the bills onto the Union thus pushing them into debt causing more issues.

VVD0D95

Banned
Glad to see this development as much as it would be interesting to see how the Spain cooperative colonies would have looked like, I very much doubt it would be good for either country.
Like England in OTL, the Spanish would be annoyed about the lack of gold and would most likely push the bills onto the Union thus pushing them into debt causing more issues.
Oh most definitely plus I wouldn’t trust the duke of Lerma as far as I could throw him

Hum... Orkney is going to burn methinks. Almost surprised Henry didn't decide to go and settle it himself.

Virginia Company expansion- that's good, but don't forget to give the colonists some say in how its run.

And congratz to Anna and Henry again- the dynasty is in good hands it seems.

VVD0D95

Banned
Hum... Orkney is going to burn methinks. Almost surprised Henry didn't decide to go and settle it himself.

Virginia Company expansion- that's good, but don't forget to give the colonists some say in how its run.

And congratz to Anna and Henry again- the dynasty is in good hands it seems.
Oh, Henry wants to go, but James wants to see whether the nobles can handle it.

That might come later on.

And indeed it is :)

Chapter 124: New World

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 124: New World

April, 1614

Dear Mr Rolfe,

I received your letter, a few months ago, and have read through its content thoroughly. I have also spoken with members of the Virginia Company, and we have reached an agreement.

In return for you visiting London to discuss your proposals, we are willing to offer a tender agreement of £15,000 backing for the cultivation of the tobacco product that you wish to make and sell.

Please reply at your earliest convenience to let us know whether this is acceptable.

Worry not about the Governor, he will agree to let you go.

Yours

Henry, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, Earl of Chester, Carrick and Dublin, Lord of the Isles and Baron Renfrew.

John put the letter to one side. This was good news. The Prince had clearly taken well to his proposal, and as such, being offered the chance to meet him in person was something that John was thankful for. But at the same time, there was a hint of worry within him. If he went to London, what would become of Rebecca? They had married two weeks ago, in a ceremony attended by the settlers of Jamestown and Henricus, and members of her tribe. And things seemed harmonious, but if he went and left her here, would they remain so?

He turned around when he felt someone touch his shoulder. It was Rebecca, she was standing there with her hair undone, her cheeks slightly rosy. “What are you thinking about?” She asked, her English accented.

“A letter I received from London.” He picked it up and handed it to her.

She read through it-she’d picked up English far quicker than he had her native tongue- and when she was done she looked at him and said. “This is fantastic news, John!”

“I know.” John replied smiling half-heartedly.

“What’s the matter?” Rebecca asked. “Shouldn’t you be happy?”

“I am.” John answered.

“But?” Rebecca prompted.

“But I’m worried about what will happen to you when I leave.” John said.

“What do you mean?” Rebecca asked, a frown appearing on her face.

John exhaled. “Well, things are fine now, between us and your tribe, but what happens when I go and you’re left here alone?”

“Nothing will happen.” Rebecca said. “My tribe respects the treaty that was signed, and our marriage is seen as confirmation of that.”

“Are you sure?” John asked, he’d heard rumours that the chieftain of her tribe had been planning something. He’d been seen meeting with different groups from across Virginia.

“I am sure.” Rebecca said. “If anything, I think it’s the people of Henricus we should be worried about.”

“Why?” John asked. He could understand why she had said that, but he wanted to know her reasons.

“You’ve seen how some of the men here look at me.” Rebecca said. “Like I’m some sort of exquisite piece of meat. What’s there to say they don’t act on that?”

John wanted to say that nobody in Henricus would dare do that. But he wasn’t naïve enough to say that. He knew what some men were like and he knew that Rebecca was right to be concerned. Therefore, he said. “Why don’t you come with me?”

“To London?” Rebecca asked surprised.

“Yes.” John answered. “I can book us passage on the Mariner and ensure that we’re in a private cabin.” The Governor owed him that much at least.

“Are you sure?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes, I am.” John said. “And you did say you wanted to see London.”

Rebecca bit her lip as she often did when she was considering something. When she stopped she smiled at him and said. “I’d like that very much.”

“Excellent, I shall inform the Governor then.” John said.

“Are we going to be leaving immediately?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes, we can’t keep the Prince waiting. I’ll send him a letter letting him know we’re going to be departing, today, and then I’ll arrange the ship.” John said.

“How long will that take?” Rebecca asked, a hint of excitement in her tone.

“The journey?” John asked for clarification.

“Yes.” Rebecca responded.

“Depends on the weather. Could take around three months, might take around four.” John said.

Rebecca’s eyes widened. “And we’ll be safe?”

“Yes.” John said. Hoping they didn’t run into any trouble now that he’d said that.

Rebecca leaned forward and kissed him then. When she saw his eyes widen, she smiled and said. “I’ve been wanting to do that since we started talking.”

John grinned. “Well don’t stop now.” Rebecca giggled and they kissed again. His hand moved down her back when there was a knock on the door, which forced them to break apart.

“Come in.” He called.

The door opened and Richard Jefferson entered. He bowed his head to them both. “My apologies, Mr and Mrs Rolfe, but I’ve got word from one of our men at the dockyard.”

“And?” John asked.

“A new shipment has arrived from the south.”

“The south?” John asked, he didn’t have any dealings in the south, there were no dealings to be had there.

“Yes, Sir.” Jefferson answered.

“Do you have a copy of the ship’s log?” John asked. Every ship was supposed to have a log of what was on it. It was something that Queen Elizabeth had made into law during the final years of her reign.

“I do, Sir.” Richard said, handing John a piece of paper.

John looked at it and sighed. “This is in Spanish, Jefferson.”

“Sir?” Richard replied.

“The Spanish are trying to bait us.” John said. “What was in the container?”

“I…I don’t know, Sir. Nobody has had a look at it.” Richard said.

“Well, we had best have a look at it then.” John said. He had a sneaking suspicion it would be gold. No doubt the Spanish were trying to bribe them or cause some mischief. How he handled all of this when he found out what the thing was, would more than likely influence what happened next.

Well if it is gold take it to London?

Three months to get to England? Wow... I thought it would only be about three weeks? Ships are not that slow even in 1614.

I do hope Rebecca does not get ill on this trip or in London.

Maybe a Royal will need need to go back with them and inspect the British holdings up and down N. America. Wonder if the Prince Royal is Atlantic rated...?

VVD0D95

Banned
Well if it is gold take it to London?

Three months to get to England? Wow... I thought it would only be about three weeks? Ships are not that slow even in 1614.

I do hope Rebecca does not get ill on this trip or in London.

Maybe a Royal will need need to go back with them and inspect the British holdings up and down N. America. Wonder if the Prince Royal is Atlantic rated...?
Might be a risk of starting an incident if they did.

Yeah, initial voyage Rolfe was on otl took three months due to the weather.

Hmm, only two places to go to tbf, so they might chance it if they consider it worth while.

Partially , the difference with sail is that the East> West time can be a lot slower than West>East. Winds etc mean that 3-4 weeks from America to Europe was common , however going to the Americas could take 3 months.

Chapter 125: Radziwill

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 125: Radziwill

May, 1614

Henry de Vere, Earl of Oxford looked around the room, and noted the portraits of men of old, who glowered out from their frames as if disapproving of his very presence here. He also noted the paintings of various other scenes, battles, scenes from the Bible and other such things. He was impressed. Back home in Britain, the King was accumulating such artwork, as was the Prince of Wales, but until they were finished, he did not think they would be quite as impressive as what he saw before him.

Catherine had mentioned that her father’s palace was grand, and that there was a lot he would like. And she had been right. He would need to tell her when he saw her next. He wondered how she was doing. They hadn’t been able to keep in contact as often has he would have liked, largely due to the vagaries of travelling. But he knew she knew he thought of her regularly. He missed her. He missed her smile and her laugh. He couldn’t wait to make what they had official.

The clearing of a throat made him focus. He looked forward and found himself looking at Catherine’s father, Prince Nicholas Radziwill. A man who had served as an advisor to the King of Poland, and was considered one of his most trusted confidants. He was shorter than Henry, but he held himself with all the power of old. When he spoke in heavily accented German, his meaning was clear. “How have you found your travels, Lord Oxford?”

“They have been most intriguing, Sir.” Henry replied. “I have found it invigorating to get the chance to venture forth and understand how other Kingdoms operate.”

“And have you had a favourite location?” The Prince asked.

Henry suspected that this was a test, and whilst he was keen to say Poland, he decided against it. He had only been here for two weeks after all. “I would have to say Brussels for now, Sir.”

“And why Brussels?” The Prince asked, sounding genuinely intrigued.

Henry thought on that for a moment, why Brussels? Well… “It has proven to be the most intriguing and curious place I have seen so far. The architecture is simply stunning and the people are friendly. I had the chance to meet with their Imperial Highnesses Archduke and Archduchess Albert and they were very intriguing people.”

The Prince nodded and then remarked. “If you found Brussels intriguing, you should most definitely visit the Holy Land.”

“Sir?” Henry asked intrigued.

“There are things in the Holy Land that would make Brussels look tiny in comparison. Buildings that have existed since the time of Christ, and places that have special importance for us all.” The Prince said. “Furthermore, the people are very, very welcoming.”

“I shall be sure to keep that in mind, Sir.” Henry said, he wasn’t sure whether he’d be able to get to the Holy Land on his current schedule, already his cousin was writing to him asking him to return as soon as he could. Some issue with their tenants apparently.

“Good.” The Prince said. “Now, tell me, what are you expecting to get from visiting Poland?”

Henry had been expecting this question and so didn’t hesitate. “I want to understand its people, its culture, its history. I want to understand everything.”

“Why?” The Prince asked.

Henry had two answers he could give, the answer he felt he should give, and the answer that he wanted to give. He decided to go with the latter. “Because I wish to know the land of Princess Catherine, Sir.”

The Prince leaned forward then and asked. “And why is that?” His accent had gotten thicker then.

Henry took a breath; he had been preparing for this for some time. He just needed to find the right words. A moment passed and then another, and then he said. “Because I wish to marry her, Sir.”

The Prince leaned back and exhaled. “You wish to marry my daughter?”

“Yes, Sir.” Henry replied.

The Prince placed his hands together and sighed. “And does she wish to marry you?”

“I think so, Sir.” Henry replied.

“How long has this been going for?” The Prince asked, leaning forward again.

“I have been courting her for around a year now, Sir.” Henry said, wondering if he’d completely misread Catherine and his approaches had been unwanted.

“A year?” The Prince mused. “Yes, I do remember something about this.”

Henry let go of a breath he hadn’t known he’d been holding, but it seemed the Prince wasn’t done. “Tell me, how will you overcome the barrier of religion?”

“Sir?” Henry replied confused. The Prince and Princess of Wales didn’t seem to consider their different religions a barrier, he wasn’t sure why he should consider it a barrier with Catherine.

“My daughter is a Catholic and you are a Protestant.” The Prince said. “Such marriages are difficult to get acceptance for.”

“Their Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales have made it work.” Henry pointed out.

“Royalty is different. There are different rules for them.” The Prince said dismissively. “Do you truly think the Pope would allow their marriage to occur if he did not think he could get some benefit from it?”

Henry frowned. “I’m not sure I understand, Sir.”

“The Pope has people trying to get things moving in the British Isles.” The Prince said. “That was why he agreed to the marriage between the Prince and Princess of Wales. Why would he see the need to grant permission for my daughter and you to marry? What benefit does he get?”

Henry thought on that, he wasn’t sure that the Pope did have someone in Britain as part of the Princess’ entourage, but he wasn’t confident enough about that to refute the Prince. Instead he simply said. “It would further ties between British Isles and Poland.”

“Why should the Pope care about that?” The Prince asked.

“The Pope might not, but the King of Poland would.” Henry answered. “The King is still fighting a war against the Russians, and I believe is considering renewing hostilities with Sweden. He would need all the help he can get on that front. And I know that the King of the British Isles would be happy to provide it. All it would take would be further proof of our shared alliance.”

“And you think this marriage would do that?” The Prince asked.

Hoping his lie wouldn’t be found out, Henry said. “I know it would, Sir. The King and the Prince of Wales consider me a close confidant and friend. They would be happy for the marriage to go ahead.”

The Prince said nothing for a moment, and then sighed. “I shall speak with the King.”

Henry nodded, that was the best he could hope for really. “Thank you, Sir.”

Frances Howard Family Tree

VVD0D95

Banned
Frances Howard Ft.jpg

Sticking your neck out a bit there Henry de Vere, let’s hope them line about supporting Poland does not come back to haunt you…

Has Prince Radziwill actually been the the Holy Land?

Has Prince Radziwill actually been the the Holy Land?
Yes, he even wrote a book about his travels.
Mikołaj became famous for a vivid account of his eventful pilgrimage to the Holy Land published in Latin in 1601[2] and later translated into Polish.[3][1] During his voyage he visited not only Palestine, but also Syria, Egypt, Crete, Cyprus, Italy, and Greece. Robert Burton while on the subject of St. Elmo's fire wrote of this voyage in his Anatomy of Melancholy: "Radzivilius, the Polonian duke, calls this apparition, Sancti Germani sidus; and saith moreover that he saw the same after in a storm, as he was sailing, 1582, from Alexandria to Rhodes".