Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 115: Dance

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 115: Dance

August, 1613

Charles ignored the pain in his left leg and stepped forward. He glanced to his right, and saw Henry Murray standing there holding the pose perfectly. A tinge of jealousy ran through him and he forced his left leg to bend at the necessary angle. A shot of pain lynched through him and he winced. He took a deep breath, and then held the position.

Light footsteps alerted him to the presence of Major William Howard, the dancing instructor that Thomas Murray had found for Charles and his sons. The man was roughly forty years of age, with a thick moustache, and a slight belly, but he was light as anything.

“Good, excellent. Straighten your shoulders slightly, William.” The Major said.

Charles held his pose despite the pain in his left leg. The Major stopped before him. Charles held his gaze-he was a Prince after all. The Major looked him up and down and said. “Excellent, Your Highness.” The Major walked on.

“Excellent, Henry.”

Charles held the pose until the Major said. “And rest.”

He rose up to his admittedly short height and immediately felt the pain in his leg go. The Major walked back down the line and then stopped in the middle, before Charles. “Now, lads, who can tell me the importance of the position you’ve just done?”

Charles shared a glance with Henry and then looked back at the Major. Thankfully, the Major wasn’t looking at him. Instead, it seemed the Major was looking at his own son, Thomas. Thomas was slightly older than Charles, at thirteen, but he was also the most knowledgeable thirteen-year-old Charles had ever met.

Eventually, Thomas answered. “Because being able to balance at awkward angles is important not only for dance but for war.”

“Exactly.” The Major replied. “You see, in war you are not going to have the luxury of always fighting standing straight up. Sometimes you are going to have to bend at odd angles and fight in odd manners. You must get used to this now.”

Charles raised a hand. The Major looked at him and nodded. “But what about if there’s no room to bend like that?”

“I’m glad you asked that, Your Highness.” The Major said. “I want you all to form a circle, close together.”

Charles and the other boys, eight in total, did as they were bid. “Now, link arms.” The Major commanded. They linked arms, Charles linking arms with Henry Murray and Charles Newton. “Now, move forward.”

Charles moved forward as did the others, but he felt a strain in his arms. “Move backward.” Came the command.

They moved backward and the strain was there.

“Now half of you move forward and the other half move backward.”

Charles moved forward, but Newton moved backward whilst Murray moved forward. The strain caused them to break their link to one another. With some of the boys moaning in pain.

The Major didn’t seem particularly surprised by this turn of events. Instead he simply said. “Now, link arms again.”

They did as they were bid. Charles could already feel his legs beginning to ache in protest.

“Now move forward.” They moved forward, nobody whined. “Move backward.” The same result.

“Now half of you move forward and the other half move backward.” Charles moved forward again, and again the link was broken, but it was broken at such speed that he was worried he might break something. He ended up on his knees, panting slightly.

“Now, why do you think that this keeps happening?” The Major asked.

Charles half expected the Major’s son to answer and so was surprised when he didn’t. Nobody answered, and they all stood there in an awkward silence. Charles got up and looked around. Seeing who had moved forward and who had moved backward, and thinking about what speed they’d moved like that. Then he said. “We’re not moving together.”

“Go on.” The Major said.

“To properly function, we need to move together as a team. Instead we’re all moving at different speeds, and those with weights and heights not in proportion to their partners are moving.” Charles answered. “This is causing everything to be unbalanced and then erupt.”

“And how would you propose we fix this?” The Major asked.

“Well, the shorter of us should be linked together first, the taller amongst us linked together, then the ones closest in height link together.” Charles replied.

“Let us see if you are right.” The Major replied. “Link together.” Charles and the others did as they were bid, they linked arms, this time Charles was linked with William Edgerton and Edward Bridgerton. “Move forward.” It worked. “Move backwards.” It worked. “Now half move forward, and the other half move backward.”

The strain was less, it was still there but it wasn’t as virulent and nobody broke contact. “Now hold this position.”

Charles and the others held the position for a moment, another moment and then the Major said. “Now break.”

They let go of each other. “Do you understand why this worked?”

“Because we were of the right height and size?” Charles answered.

“Exactly.” The Major said. “Now in war you may not get the chance to go for someone of the same height and weight as you, but you must know your centre. You must know your balance. When you were linked to those of the same height you automatically held yourself a certain way, whereas before your balance was all over the place.”

Charles nodded, he understood that, indeed, he imagined that was why there had been so much strain on his arms. “Now, in order to counter that, you must imagine that you are fighting someone of a similar skill to you.”

“How do we do that?” Charles asked.

“By getting your balance right. Holding that position and not letting it go, even when the enemy is pressing in on you from all sides.” The Major said.

“You must hold the pose as if preparing to dance a difficult dance. That is the way to ensure good footwork and balance.” The Major said.

“Can you show us?” Charles asked.

“Of course, Your Highness.” The Major said, clapping his hands to get the music to start.

House of Seymour

VVD0D95

Banned
House of Seymour.jpg

Ah, Major William Howard, the dancing instructor - dancing in the Great Halls, and dancing on the Battlefield heh?

There is a wolf girl on another world who'd like your style.

Chapter 116: Question Time

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 116: Question Time

August, 1613

Anna Maria took a breath. She looked at the woman before her and analysed her. Frances was sitting rigidly straight, her hands clasped before her. Her face expressionless. The only thing that gave away how nervous she was, was the slight tapping her right foot was doing. Anna took another breath. Best get this out of the way.

“Frances.” She said then. “Thank you for coming. I know that there were other things that I had asked you to do. But this was something that could not wait.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Frances answered.

“How was your marriage to the Earl of Essex?” Anna asked, when Frances frowned, Anna added. “Speak freely.” Henry would not like to hear what Anna suspected but a man could do with hearing hard truths now and then.

“My marriage?” Frances replied. “It was not easy, Your Highness.”

“Go on.” Anna said encouragingly.

“It was difficult.” Frances said. “We were married very young, and I think we resented one another for that. We never really gave ourselves a chance.”

“Go on.” Anna said.

“We were two different people. Robert was someone who was very quiet, very austere and I am not. But we could not find a middle ground. And I think we took that out on one another.” Frances said.

“Was he violent toward you?” Anna asked.

Frances took a shuddering breath. “Yes, and I towards him.”

Anna’s heart ached for her friend then. No man who was worth his salt should ever be violent toward a woman, no man. She was so thankful that Henry was not, that he was kind and caring. She wished Robert had been like that to Frances. “Were you relieved when he died?” She asked then.

Frances shifted slightly uncomfortably then, and Anna could guess from that that she was about to get a completely honest answer. “I was both relieved and saddened, Your Highness.”

Frances paused and Anna remained silent, she would wait to see what Frances had to say. The woman eventually continued. “Relieved because it meant that a bad part of my life was over. Saddened because we had never stood a chance.”

The words were said with a great deal of emotion and Anna nodded. She then asked. “And what of Lord Strathearn?” She would not give Carr his full title.

“Your Highness?” Frances replied surprised.

“What are your feelings toward him?” Anna asked. At seeing Frances hesitating, she added. “The truth, Frances, forget what I think of him.”

Again, Frances shifted, she opened her mouth and then shut it, then opened it again. Eventually, when she did reply her words carried emotion once more. “I love him, Your Highness.”

“Why?” Anna asked, without malice.

“Because he is kind and caring. He is generous and he listens to me. He takes me seriously. That is a rare quality in a man, Your Highness, as I am sure you know. I want to be loved and to love in turn, and I feel that with Lord Strathearn I can get that.” Frances answered.

“And you wish to marry him?” Anna asked.

“I do, Your Highness. With all my heart.” Frances replied.

“I see.” Anna said, not surprised, but also slightly disappointed.

Frances hastily added. “I will not betray Your Highness. I know that Your Highness and His Highness do not like Lord Strathearn, but I promise that I will not betray you.”

Anna took Frances’ hands in hers and said. “I know you won’t.” She wasn’t sure whether the woman would remain as firm if her love asked her to choose, but for now this was enough. She let go of the woman’s hands then and said. “Thank you for your honesty, Frances, you may go.”

The woman rose, curtseyed and then hurried out of the room. The moment the door shut, another opened, Anna turned around and Henry walked into the room. His beard was growing quite nicely, there were flourishes of red and dark in it. She stood up and walked to him. “How did it go?” She asked.

Henry sighed, taking her hand in his. “He loves her and wants to be her husband.”

Henry had been questioning Robert Carr at the same time that Anna had been talking to Frances.

“How did it go here?” Henry asked.

“She said the same.” Anna said. “She also said that she was both relieved and saddened when Robert Essex died.”

Anna kept a close eye on Henry’s expression then. She half expected him to snort and shout, but instead he simply sighed. “I figured as much.”

Anna raised an eyebrow, that was something she hadn’t been expecting. “Oh?” She asked.

Henry looked at her with one of his eyebrows raised. “I am not completely blind to Robert’s faults, Anna. I know that he wasn’t always the best husband. I also know that there were times when he should have used his head instead of his ego.”

It was Anna’s turn to raise her eyebrow. She hadn’t expected this from Henry. “That’s a change.”

Henry did snort then. “I have had time to think about Robert since his death. And I know what I think of him.”

“And what is that?” Anna asked.

“He was a good friend, a good soldier, and a man. With all the faults and pain that brings. He should have been a far better husband, but he is dead now. So, if Frances wants to marry someone who truly makes her happy, she should be able to.” Henry said.

Anna nodded, she was impressed with how mature Henry was being about all of this. “So, will you tell the King this?” The King had decided to hold off on granting Frances and Carr permission to marry until Henry and Anna had decided whether they were fine with it.

“I will.” Henry said. “I’m going to see him next week to talk about a Commission regarding the Church. I’ll bring it up then.”

“Good.” Anna replied smiling. She leaned up then and kissed Henry, when she pulled back he looked at her in surprise.

“What was that for?” Henry asked.

“I love you.” Anna said simply, smiling as Henry smiled as well.

Chapter 117: Commission

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 117: Commission

September, 1613

James looked around the room and felt content. Everything was going as it should be. The Union of Parliaments had produced a single Parliament that was by and large amenable to what James wanted. It had confirmed the Statute of Monopolies and a grant of £600,000 of annual revenue. It had also not tried to meddle in foreign affairs or church appointments. And indeed, it seemed largely happy to be a body that met, debated and then left when needed. James hadn’t felt a need to dissolve or prorogue it.

And then of course on the familial side, everything was going as well as it could be. Henry and Anna Maria seemed happy, their children were doing well, and of course James’ other children seemed settled. Charles was improving daily-that dancing seemed to have helped-Robert was in love with his ship and Mary seemed to have become more confident. Elizabeth was pregnant, and due to give birth before the year was out. So, yes, everything was going well.

That was why James had called this meeting of the entire Privy Council today. He wanted to discuss something of grave importance. Something that he felt would help further bind the Kingdom together. He cleared his throat and spoke. “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming.” The men in the room looked at him then. “I have summoned you here today to discuss something that I believe will further tie us all together.”

He paused, took a breath then continued. “Just as the Union of the Crowns and the Union of Parliaments has brought peace, and developing prosperity to our isles, I believe that a Union of the Churches will bring spiritual harmony.”

He saw the Archbishop of Glasgow share a look with the Bishop of London. “Before chaos ensued, there was one church, as St Andrew, Columba and Bede envisioned it. It is time that we brought one church together once more.”

“I feel that this one church will ensure a closer binding of ties between the people of this Isle, it will ensure that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, and it will ensure that the people know what they stand for.” James looked around the room, his eyes resting on Henry. “One King, One Church, One Parliament.”

Murmurs greeted his pronouncement. James waited, wanting to see who would be the first to speak in reply to what he had just said. He didn’t expect universal support-that was not the way of man-he wanted to see who would object, so he could bring them down.

Disappointingly, the first person to reply was the Archbishop of Canterbury who spoke encouragingly. “Sire, I do believe that this is the right pathway to go down. The Church is the foundation of society, a united society must have a united church.”

The Archbishop of St Andrews seemed to agree. “I concur with His Grace. There must be one Church to ensure that we are not straying toward darkness. After all, there are forces outside the realm who would seek to divide us. One Church will keep us all on the same pathway to God’s glory.”

Because the two senior most clergy of the Kingdom had spoken in favour, others seemed happier, there were positive murmurs emerging from the nobles like Suffolk, Salisbury, Arundel and others. It was the Bishop of London who had to ask the question James had been waiting for. “What would the hierarchy of the Church be, Sire?”

James looked at the Bishop and said. “I would prefer that the Archbishop of Canterbury be the Primate of the Church. As to who follows from thereon in, I would leave that to a Commission of the Clergy.”

“Who would be on this Commission, Sire?” The Archbishop of Glasgow asked.

“The members present here, and of course other members of the Clergy. From the Highest Archbishop to the lowliest Reverend, to get the full scope of view within the church.” James answered. There was some murmuring at that, but James ignored that. Instead, he said. “I will give you two years from now to decide on what you want.”

“Two years, Sire?” The Bishop of London exclaimed.

“Yes, two years should be sufficient.” James answered.

London looked as if he might object, but Canterbury spoke then. “We shall ensure that it is done within that time, Sire.”

“Good.” James said. “You are all dismissed.”

He watched as they all got up, Henry nodding to him as he passed. His son had told him that he and Anna were not against Robert marrying Frances Howard. Something that James was happy to hear, and something that George had said would happen. He would need to tell George that he had been right.

“Robert.” He called out then. Robert Carr stopped at the door. “Come here.” James said.

Robert walked toward him and stopped just before him. “Sire?” The man asked.

“Do you still love Frances Howard?” James asked directly.

“Yes, Sire, with everything that I have.” Robert answered.

“And do you still wish to marry her?” James asked.

“I do, Sire.” Robert replied.

James smiled. “Then you will be marrying her at the end of this month at the Chapel Royal.”

“Sire?” Robert replied sounding surprised.

“The Earl of Suffolk has given his permission.” James said. “He will also hand over a fair few properties as part of her dowry.” Something totalling £4000.

Robert looked surprised; his eyes had widened. “I…thank you, Sire.”

James nodded. “You may go, go and share the good news with Lady Frances.”

“Thank you, Sire.” Robert said, bowing once before turning and departing.

James watched him go and felt a tinge of sadness. Times were changing, his old favourite was going to be married and have his own family. No doubt he would have less time to spend with him. That was fine. James had been preparing for this moment for months now. George was by far an adequate replacement. Speaking of which, he had probably better go back to George. He’d left him in a rather delicate state after their activities last night.