Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

And alright duly noted re Ivan V and SIgismund. Would Sigismund renew his attacks on Sweden now do you think or wait it out.
I think he would try to correspond with Swedish nobility and sow discontent among those who see the Danes and the Brahes as the only winners from what has just happened.

So if I read the peace treaty(negotiation), right it's like the Treaty of Knäred but without the Älvsborg Ransom and return of conquered territory.

So the new treaty is as I read it:
The Danes get to keep Kalmar, Borgholm, Öland, and Älvsborg(modern day Gothenburg).

And Sweden returns Jämtland and Herjerdalen to Denmark.
Acknowledges that it needs to pay the sound toll to Denmark.
Renounce Swedish claims to Finnmark.

If that is the case then Sweden no longer has a viable port to Kattegat and Denmark has a chokehold on the Swedish trade.

Sweden also losses one of(if not) the main factors that forced them to develop their mining industries that jumpstarted the economy, the payment of the Älvsborg ransom. The development of the mining industry would also pay for the reforms to the Swedish army that would lead them to become a powerhouse 20 years later.

This is terrible for Sweden

So if I read the peace treaty(negotiation), right it's like the Treaty of Knäred but without the Älvsborg Ransom and return of conquered territory.

So the new treaty is as I read it:
The Danes get to keep Kalmar, Borgholm, Öland, and Älvsborg(modern day Gothenburg).

And Sweden returns Jämtland and Herjerdalen to Denmark.
Acknowledges that it needs to pay the sound toll to Denmark.
Renounce Swedish claims to Finnmark.

If that is the case then Sweden no longer has a viable port to Kattegat and Denmark has a chokehold on the Swedish trade.

Sweden also losses one of(if not) the main factors that forced them to develop their mining industries that jumpstarted the economy, the payment of the Älvsborg ransom. The development of the mining industry would also pay for the reforms to the Swedish army that would lead them to become a powerhouse 20 years later.

This is terrible for Sweden

Seems about right. A blessed timeline

Chapter 113: Country Roads

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 113: Country Roads

June, 1613

John Rolfe looked at the books spread out before him and found that he wanted to scream. There was so much to be done. He had to file the accounts, he had to pay his workers, and he had to inspect the produce. All of that had to be done before the sun went down today. As always he’d left things to the last moment and that was something he really needed to change.

It was something that drew amused laughter from Pocahontas, he knew. She was always saying that he should balance his day, and he was always agreeing with her, but perhaps he should actually do what she suggested. She knew what she was talking about. He’d watched her working with the women, she was their leader now. Which was good, it showed that the people of Henricus could work with the natives and not be at war.

He shifted as his thoughts turned to something else related to Pocahontas. Their stolen kisses. Their shared glances, the touch of their hands. John felt guilty, she was a heathen, he shouldn’t have feelings for her. But he did. He knew he did and he only hoped that God could help him find a way to deal with these feelings.

“Sir?” A voice called out breaking through his thoughts.

John blinked and turned, seeing Richard Jefferson staring at him. “What is it Dick?” He asked.

“I…I have some new information, Sir.” Richard said.

“Well, get to it.” He commanded. Richard could be a bit slow sometimes.

“The company has received a new order from London.” Richard said.

“From London?” John asked. That couldn’t be right. The King didn’t like tobacco something he’d made very clear to the governor.

“Yes, Sir.” Richard said.

“From who?” John demanded.

“The Earl of Suffolk.” Richard answered.

“Let me see.” John ordered, Suffolk would have written a letter no doubt. Richard reached into his pocket and pulled out a letter and handed it to John. John looked at it, it had Suffolk’s seal on it, he opened the thing and read.

Dear Mr Rolfe,

I write from warm London.

I have submitted an order for 20 shipments of your product. There is rising demand in London and the surrounding areas.

I will pay upon delivery.

Yours

Lord Suffolk.

It was a short letter but John wasn’t going to oppose it. He looked at Richard. “When did this come through?”

“Earlier today, Sir.” Richard answered.

“Get the order ready at once.” John said.

“Yes, Sir.” Richard said. “Will Lord Suffolk be charged the usual amount?”

John paused, normal business sense dictated that he charge Suffolk the regular amount or slightly more but given Suffolk was the King’s main minister he supposed he could give him the goods with some of the price reduced. “Reduce it by 5%.”

“Yes, Sir.” Richard replied, standing up and disappearing, leaving John alone with his thoughts.

If he could get Suffolk as a client or even as a patron, then perhaps he could break down the King’s opposition. That would be good. Without the King’s blessing, this venture was doomed to fail. At least for the time being.

Maybe he should speak to Pocahontas about this? She always seemed to know how to work on people. She’d done it with her tribal chief, ensuring that he was willing to stop burning and raiding near Henricus and Jamestown, in exchange for trading terms. But then, would it really be right to get advice from her?

There was a knock on the door then. “Enter.” John said.

He turned as the door opened and a young man, built like a bull entered. This was Alexander Whitaker, the chaplain of Henricus. Why he’d gone into the church, John didn’t know. “Mr Whitaker.” John said standing up.

“Please sit down, Mr Rolfe.” Whitaker said softly. John sat down and gestured for the seat that Richard had just vacated, Whitaker took the seat and spoke. “I’ve come to talk with you about something that has been bothering you.”

John raised an eyebrow then remembered what he’d said to Whitaker after a few cups of ale the other day and blushed. “I…I hope that I have not inconvenienced you, Mr Whitaker.”

“Nonsense. I am a man of God, it is my duty to help those in need.” Whitaker replied.

John nodded though he was hardly reassured. “So, what was it about that, that you wanted to talk about?”

“Well, I think there is a solution to the moral quandary you find yourself in.” Whitaker answered.

John frowned. “There is?”

“Yes.” Whitaker said. “Lady Pocahontas has said she wishes to be baptised.”

“She has?!” John exclaimed, that was brilliant news.

“She has.” Whitaker said. “Indeed, I believe she wishes to be baptised as soon as possible.”

“So, when is that occurring?” John asked, trying and failing to keep the excitement from his voice.

“At the end of the month.” Whitaker said. “I believe she said she was going to speak with you about it, so please do not mention that we have spoken.”

“Of course.” John replied.

“Now you need not walk around like a lost puppy.” Whitaker jested.

John blushed. “I do not think I have been doing that.” Whitaker frowned and John raised an eyebrow. “Have I?”

“You have, Mr Rolfe.” Whitaker replied. “But you need not worry, God has found an answer to your prayers.”

John nodded. “And I am forever grateful for that.”

Whitaker nodded and then rose. “Now, if you will forgive me, I must go and visit the Governor in Jamestown.” With that Whitaker departed.

John watched him go and then took a deep breath. So, his love was going to be baptised, which meant he wouldn’t be marrying some sort of heathen. Because he did want to marry her. He loved her. And he hoped that she loved him. He would talk to her about it later today.

He took a deep breath and looked back at the books. He just needed to focus on the accounts and make sure that nothing was missing. He knew how badly that could impact things.

Pocahontas and John heh? Well I hope it works out better than OTL.

What is Suffolk up to here?

Nice to hear from the colony- does not seem they need Spanish help to me.

VVD0D95

Banned
Pocahontas and John heh? Well I hope it works out better than OTL.

What is Suffolk up to here?

Nice to hear from the colony- does not seem they need Spanish help to me.

Oh I have plans for John and Pocahontas and their children.

And it does seem that way, doesn't it?

Deleted member 147978

Forgive me you all, but I honestly do not see Prince Robert Bruce Stuart, Duke of Gloucester and Kintyre marrying a daughter of commoner John Rolfe and Amerindian Pocahontas in a realistic fashion. (Otherwise his royal title would be extinct.)

Unless that Robert wants to be a rebel by not marrying a royal princess that is.

Forgive me you all, but I honestly do not see Prince Robert Bruce Stuart, Duke of Gloucester and Kintyre marrying a daughter of commoner John Rolfe and Amerindian Pocahontas in a realistic fashion. (Otherwise his royal title would be extinct.)

Unless that Robert wants to be a rebel by not marrying a royal princess that is.
It’s a bit of a stretch, but if John Rolfe has a succesful career and ends up a marquess/duke then one of their daughters or sons could be a potential spouse for one of Robert’s younger sons or daughters. It might still be considered scandalous, but not impossible. Alternatively, one of Robert’s sons could take one of their daughters as his mistress?

Deleted member 147978

It’s a bit of a stretch, but if John Rolfe has a succesful career and ends up a marquess/duke then one of their daughters or sons could be a potential spouse for one of Robert’s younger sons or daughters. It might still be considered scandalous, but not impossible. Alternatively, one of Robert’s sons could take one of their daughters as his mistress?
Both of your scenarios are plausible.
I wouldn't mind John Rolfe getting enobled back home as a Marquess/Earl and Pocahontas get baptized and get treated like a noblewoman, I wonder how would the Jacobean court react to the couple.

That's the same Robert Stuart whose nephew ended up in commoner marriage to a daughter of lawyer and issue from this marriage was considered perfectly valid. It took German dynasty on English throne for morganatic marriages to truly become a thing in law - previously it was scandalous but not impossible, especially for Royal Duke and not a heir apparent.