Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
He thought that his plan would be an high IQ move by making his honorable whipping boy Alexander Johnson as a decoy masquerading has himself. Welp, he's just another casuality and he's has only himself to blame for the plan that had backfired spectacularly.
Did it backfire, or, has it worked? Macleod thought he'd killed the Prince of Wales, he's since realised he was wrong. Do you know how shaken he's going to be?

Deleted member 147978

Did it backfire, or, has it worked? Macleod thought he'd killed the Prince of Wales, he's since realised he was wrong. Do you know how shaken he's going to be?
Yes, I'm aware that Neil would be a dead man by his very own clan considering that he had fell for the trick Prince Henry Frederick had developed.

Chapter 71: Grief Or Lewis Pt 6

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 71: Grief or Lewis Pt 6

September, 1611

Neil stopped as the hut came into sight. He took a deep shuddering breath and tried to suppress the image that kept threatening to rise to the surface. His son, his son was dead. His son had been killed by the Prince. Neil had done nothing to stop it.

He took a breath and thought about how he was going to handle the fall out from all of this. Donald was dead and Neil had done nothing to stop it. He took another breath and slowly raised himself up to his full height. He couldn’t grieve he had to rally the men and prepare for the next stage.

A cousin, Kenneth, appeared then. “Report.” Neil commanded.

“We’ve lost roughly a hundred men, Sir. Most of our prominent commanders amongst them.” Kenneth said.

“And the enemy?” Neil asked, praying that it hadn’t all been for naught.

“I’m not sure, maybe eighty men.” Kenneth said.

Neil closed his eyes. “And the man I killed?” The man who he had thought was the Prince who had fought like an idiot.

“It seems that he was a puppet, sent into the fray to distract, Sir.” Kenneth said.

Neil exhaled. So, the Prince had had the foresight to anticipate something like this, which suggested Angus’ cover was blown. “I see.” He said then, more because he had to say something than anything else. “Very well, you may go.” Kenneth muttered something and then disappeared.

Neil kept his eyes closed. This was not going the way he wanted it to. Donald was dead, and a false Prince was also dead. Things were going southwards. Now he was convinced that the Prince would come at him with all his might, and given how he had fought before, that was going to be a lot to handle.

They would need to regroup and prepare. They would need to send someone new into the Prince’s circle. Someone who couldn’t be traced back to them. But who? Neil didn’t know. His wife’s family would be known to the Prince, and his mother’s family were all with him here. He groaned in frustration. Would he have to approach the Morrisons? He really hoped not. He hated the Morrisons.

They were arrogant, self-serving and thought themselves above the rest, simply because they’d once served as King James IV’s advisors in the Isles. An honour they’d since lost once the Lordship of the Isles had become nothing more than a ceremonial title handed out to a person who never came to said Isles.

He opened his eyes, as he heard someone thundering toward him. Neil turned at the last moment and saw his nephew William standing there, drenched in blood and mud and sweat. He looked terrifying.

“Well?!” William demanded.

“Well, what?” Neil asked tiredly.

“What are we going to do now?” William demanded.

“We wait.” Neil said.

“Wait?!” William roared, his voice cracking at the last.

“Yes.” Neil said.

“WHY?!” William yelled stepping toward Neil.

Neil looked at his nephew, without anything showing on his face-he hoped- and replied. “Because we must regroup. We have lost a lot of men, we must heal and recover, and then we must reassess what we do next.”

“And how long will that take?” William demanded.

I don’t bloody know! Neil thought to himself tiredness and grief combining together to lessen his ability to deal with his nephew’s tantrum. “As long as is needed.”

William took another step forward. “And how long is that?”

“Until I give the command.” Neil said, softly. He wanted to convey that his nephew was dangerously close to stepping over the line. His nephew clearly didn’t get the message though for he walked closer until he was right in front of Neil.

“And when will that be?” William demanded, he towered over Neil now, whether Neil had lost a few inches during the battle, he didn’t know. But he was starting to wonder if he’d be able to fight off his nephew if it came down to it.

“When I decide the time is right.” Neil said.

William snorted. “I can’t deal with this!”

“What can’t you deal with?” Neil asked softly.

“This!” William replied spreading his hands out wide. “This! All of this. We’re doing nothing. We got hammered by the enemy and we’re doing nothing!”

“What would you have us do?” Neil asked.

“Fight!” William exclaimed.

“Where?” Neil asked.

“Anywhere!” William replied, his anger clearly showing on his face. “They’re going to be weak and reeling, they’ve experienced losses. We must fight.”

“And how would you approach the fight?” Neil asked.

“I’d find out where they are and attack at once.” William said.

“And what would you do if something went wrong?” Neil enquired, testing his nephew’s patience, just as the other man was testing his.

William frowned. “Wrong? What could go wrong?”

“Anything.” Neil said. “You saw what happened just now. Something went wrong and we retreated.”

“No.” William growled. “We retreated because you are a coward.”

Silence fell over them then. William towered over him, and Neil looked at his nephew coldly. William’s hand was fiddling with his sword, Neil still had his axe in his hands. “Be careful what you say, nephew. You might regret it.” Neil whispered.

His nephew glared at him, and the moments seemed to pass incredibly slowly, then with a snort, his nephew stepped back and said. “Fine. But know this, uncle, Malcolm died because of your hesitancy, because of your failed plan. I will not tolerate another failure.”

Neill took the news of his nephew’s death silently. It was a blow, but it was also one less threat to his own son taking over the reins of the Clan when he died. Donald was gone, but Neil still had other sons. Torquil for instance was incredibly smart. Maybe he could be the one sent to Prince Henry to get information. Nobody knew what Torquil looked like, outside of the immediate family-the benefit of having a sick son-but at the same time, the boy was sick. The journey might not suit him.

Neil pushed that thought to one side and on an impulse said. “You will take fifty men and go and scout. See where the Prince’s army is, and what they are doing. But do not engage.”

“Sir.” William replied, bowing once before departing. Neil watched him go before turning back and closing his eyes again.

Chapter 72: Scouting Or Lewis Pt 7

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 72: Scouting Or Lewis Pt 7

September, 1611

Sir Edward Cecil looked around at his surroundings and sighed. This was not how he expected to be spending his time, but the Prince had insisted that he remain here, in their camp just outside Grianan, whilst the Prince toured the village alongside some of his closest companions. Edward could understand the Prince’s rationale, the Prince was here in an official capacity, and it would not do to have his commander following him.

They wanted to win the people over and to make them feel safe. Having the army trailing after the Prince would not do that. And so, Edward remained behind with most of the men whilst around sixty men accompanied the Prince. Edward’s cousin William as well as the Earl of Essex, and a few others were accompanying the Prince, so Edward was relatively relaxed about that.

He just wanted to know where the damned Macleods were. They had fled the battle in a hurry, apparently after the Prince had come very close to killing their Chief. That was something that the Macleod could not let go, not if he wanted to keep his hold over his clan. That meant that either he would face a mutiny or he would try something daring and dangerous. Edward needed to be prepared for that dangerous thing and as such, he looked at Hamish Macaulay, of Clan Macaulay and asked.

“What do you think Macleod will do?”

Hamish Macaulay was tall-were all these bloody Islanders tall-with a mop of dark brown hair and a beard that was starting to grey. His family were notionally allied to the Macleods of Lewis though, given the presence of Macaulay men amongst the Royal Army, it seemed Hamish had seen sense. His words when they came were to the point. “He will bide his time. He won’t attack immediately.”

“Why?” Edward asked.

“He is a cautious man. Unlike his brother and his nephews, he will want to regroup and allow his men time to heal. Then when he is sure the time is right, he will strike.” Hamish said.

“And when could that be?” Edward asked. He didn’t want to leave the Prince exposed.

Hamish shrugged. “In a week, or maybe a month. Neil has a lot of patience.”

Edward sighed. He definitely didn’t want to be waiting for a month to achieve something, if they could get it done quickly. But at the same time, he knew the Prince wanted to win as many of the islanders over as possible, and so that would require time. Another question formed in his mind then. “Your family is traditionally allied with the Macleods are they not?”

“They are.” Hamish replied.

“Then why the change of heart? Why are you fighting alongside the Prince?” Edward asked.

Hamish laughed and then replied. “I swore an oath of allegiance to the King when I became chief of my clan. I do not break oaths.”

“Macleod also swore an oath and he has broken it.” Edward pointed out.

“Macleod is an idiot and a fool. A man who values his own power more than the ties of friendship and allegiance. I want nothing to do with him.” Hamish said sharply.

“And do your fellow clansmen agree?” Edward asked.

“Yes.” Hamish said simply. “Our views are simple. We owe allegiance to the Crown before anyone else. If that means turning on old allies then so be it. We would rather remain on God’s good side than be cast into hell.”

Edward nodded; he could respect that. He was about to say something else when he heard a slight commotion outside his tent. He got up and opened the tent flap. He found a guard standing there and asked him. “What’s going on?”

“His Highness the Duke of Rothesay has returned, Sir.” The guard replied.

“Ah, I see.” Edward replied, he turned back into the tent and looked at Hamish. “Come, the Prince is here.” Hamish nodded and got up, and then they made their way over to the central command tent, the guards let them through and they found the Prince in conversation with John Harington and William Cavendish, whilst Essex was talking to Edward’s cousin.

“Your Highness.” Edward said bowing.

“Edward, Hamish.” The Prince said. “Have a seat.” He gestured to two chairs to his right, which Edward and Hamish occupied.

There was a brief moment of silence and then the Prince asked. “So, have you deigned to work out when Macleod will strike?”

“As Hamish was just telling me, Sir, it could be in a week or a month. He will not strike until he feels ready.” Edward replied.

He expected the Prince to frown at that, but instead, the Prince smiled and said. “That is good, that gives us more time to prepare and to win people over.”

The way he said that prompted Edward to ask. “I take it the visit to Grianan went well then, Sir?”

The Prince smile widened. “Very well. The people of the village have reaffirmed their oath of allegiance and are preparing men for the war against Macleod.”

That surprised Edward, but it was positive news. “That’s very good, Sir. Where are we heading to next?”

“Tong.” The Prince said. “I have heard that there is some support for Macleod there. I want to get that sorted out as quickly as possible.”

Edward nodded that was a sensible choice.

There was a brief moment of silence and then the tent flap opened and a sentry hurried in, he was covered in mud and looked rather harried.

“Your Highness.” The sentry said bowing.

“What is it?” The Prince asked.

“Macleod men have been spotted not far from the camp. They are all armed and look as if they are looking for a fight.” The Sentry replied.

Edward shared a look with the Prince who then asked. “How many men do they have?”

“Around fifty.” The sentry replied.

“Very well, thank you.” The Prince said dismissing the sentry. The man bowed and then departed.

“We’re going after them.” The Prince said.

“Are you sure that’s wise, Your Highness?” Edward asked. “It could be a trap.”

“It could be, but it could also be a way of ending this.” The Prince said.

Edward wanted to protest but he could tell from the way the Prince’s jaw was set that the man’s mind was made up, so he simply bowed and silently agreed. The Prince stood up and said. “We’re going after them now.”

Chapter 73: An Uncle's Grief-Lewis Pt 8

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 73: An Uncle’s Grief-Lewis Pt 8

September, 1611

Neil Macleod stared at the flames as they licked at the wood. The hour was late, and most of the camp was falling asleep, but not him. No, Neil couldn’t sleep. His mind wouldn’t let him. It was filled with the image of his son’s death and with the thought that he could have done something to stop it. If he’d just stepped in when his son had faltered, Donald would still be alive now to tell the tale.

Instead, his son was lying somewhere in Stornoway, a rotting carcass, being pecked at by crows. Neil sighed. There was no point thinking about that or about what could have been. Such things never benefitted anyone. His son was dead, but he still had three other sons left. He would protect them. Torquil was in the north, whilst Aeneas was in the west. Only Adam had accompanied him and Donald, and Adam was now at his side.

“Will William obey you, Father?” Adam asked then.

Neil looked at his son. It wasn’t an odd question, given William’s displays before. “I think he will. Do you?”

Adam shrugged, looking for all the world like Donald when he did that. “I don’t know. I think he’s acting rather impulsively and Malcolm’s death hasn’t helped.”

Neil sighed, his son was right of course, but then, Neil had to hope that William acted with sense, otherwise they were all in danger. “I believe that he understands what is at risk if he crosses the line.” At least Neil hoped his nephew did.

“Are we right to fight the Crown, Father?” Adam asked then.

“Why do you ask?” Neil asked, surprised. He’d not expected this from Adam.

“We swore an oath to respect the Crown, to obey it and carry out its laws. We aren’t doing that by doing this.” Adam pointed out.

“We are also acting to protect ourselves. King James has forgotten his duty as King of Scots. He has broken the contract between the crown and the people. We are right to rebel.” Neil said. He’d thought this over a lot, and he was sure that this was the right course.

“If that is so, then why haven’t the other clans joined us?” Adam asked. “Morrison is with the Crown and Macaulay is also with the Crown. They aren’t rallying to our standard, nor are the other island clans.”

Neil opened his mouth to respond, but then closed it when he realised that he didn’t have an adequate response to give. He didn’t really know why these clans hadn’t sided with them. Well, maybe Morrison he understood, given their rivalry. But Macaulay? Macaulay had been an ally for centuries, so their betrayal stung.

In the end all he could say was a simple. “I do not know.” He hoped that that would appease his son.

It did not. For Adam then asked. “What happens after?”

“After?” Neil replied unsure of what his son was referring to.

“After all of this.” Adam replied, stretching his hands out to encompass the camp.

“We must first get through this before we think about after.” Neil said.

“You don’t have a plan?” Adam asked sounding shocked.

So, you are just learning that I am a mere man, not a God. Neil thought to himself, rather sad that his son’s image of him was being so cruelly shattered. Out loud he sighed. “I cannot plan for things that I cannot foresee and I cannot foresee how things are going to progress from here.”

“But surely you must have some sort of idea?!” Adam exclaimed.

“I do not.” Neil said. “The Prince could ask for negotiations or he could bring fire and sword down upon us.” Neil really hoped it was the former and not the latter. He didn’t want more fighting.

“So, we’re just going to wait for him to decide then?” Adam asked.

“Yes.” Neil replied.

Adam exhaled then, but said nothing. They remained in an uneasy silence after that. Neither of them saying anything but the weight of what had gone before was pushing down on them. Neil wanted to say something. He truly did, but, given everything, he wasn’t sure if that was the right thing to do. And so, he remained quiet.

The fire crackled, and then Adam spoke. “Do you think the Prince will want to talk?”

Neil looked at his son and saw the concern etched on his brow and sighed. “One can only hope so.”

“Why?” Adam asked.

“Because I do not think everlasting war is good for anyone.” Neil replied. It was true, he would fight for his home, but if he thought the war was destroying his home, he would seek peace.

Adam nodded and fell silent again. This time the silence lasted for longer. Neil could feel a chill begin to creep into his bones. He was old. He knew that, and he was sure everyone around them knew that. He just wanted to protect his home. But perhaps everything had gotten out of hand.

He sighed. These things had a way of occurring like that. It was the way of life, as his mother had often said.

“Lord.” Someone said, prompting him to turn around.

“Kenneth?” Neil replied as he looked at the man. “What is it?”

“I bring bad tidings, Lord.” Kenneth said.

“What’s happened?” Neil asked though he got the sense that he knew already what had happened.

“It’s William, Lord.” Kenneth said.

He’s done it hasn’t he. He’s attacked them. Neil thought to himself. “What’s he done?” He asked.

Sure enough, Kenneth confirmed what he’d feared. “He’s engaged with the Prince’s army. It looks as though there’s been a fair few casualties.”

Neil groaned, he forced himself up and then said. “Where is my nephew?”

“Near Grianan.” Kenneth said.

Neil nodded, that wasn’t too far from where they were now. “Ready the men, we ride out before night.” Neil commanded.

“Lord.” Kenneth replied, hurrying away.

Neil looked at Adam then and said. “You’ve got your answer.” With that he followed Kenneth toward where the men were.