Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Deleted member 147978

May God bless Prince Arthur James Stuart, amen.

I say, the naming was way too left field for me and anyone else.
However, I'm surprised and loved the idea.

Cheers.

Chapter 53: Headache

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 53: Headache

May, 1611

“We must do something about the Spanish situation.” Robert Carr, Viscount Rochester and Earl of Strathearn said. The situation was slowly getting out of control. The King was convinced that the Spanish would use Ireland as a way of stoking tension, all because the Prince of Wales’ Irish lapdog had met someone who may or may not have been from a clan that had fled the Nine Years War to Spain. It was ridiculous.

Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk and head of the Spanish Faction at court nodded. “I agree, the question that arises is what. The King refuses to let the Council question Sir Cahir and the Prince of Wales is not going to allow him to come before the Star Chamber.”

Robert growled in frustration, why did the Prince of Wales have to be so bloody stubborn. “Is the King still sending Sir Cahir off to Ireland?”

“Yes.” Thomas said, the man then raised an eyebrow. “Has he not told you?”

Robert blushed. The truth was the King rarely spoke to him that much now, at least not since February. Instead, he stuck with Lord Haddington and with others, including William Villiers who for some reason was now part of the King’s household as Cofferer of the Great Wardrobe. Robert was still the King’s bed companion but they didn’t speak. “No.” Was the simple response.

Suffolk frowned. Clearly that wasn’t good for him or for them and their plans. “Well, there is time yet. I believe Sir Cahir has gotten the Prince of Wales to convince the King to keep him in England until his family is here.”

“Why?” Robert asked.

“So, that they cannot be used against him or the King.” Suffolk said.

Robert felt his eyes widen. “But who would use them against the King?” And why?

“Prince Henry believes the Irish dissidents associated with the Spanish might try to use them to force compliance from Sir Cahir.” Suffolk said.

Robert raised an eyebrow; Suffolk’s tone was curious. “You do not agree?”

“I do not. I do not believe O’Doherty.” Suffolk replied.

“Why?” Robert asked intrigued, it was not like Suffolk to go against something the King believed.

“Because other than a single conversation there has been no other evidence offered. Salisbury has not allowed there to be a search for O’Sullivan, and whilst he claims that to do so would be to spook the man and the Spanish, I think it’s because he knows the case is weak.” Suffolk said.

“So, why has the King gone for it?” Robert asked. That was the strange thing for Robert, especially given how desperate the King was to keep peace with Spain.

“You tell me.” Suffolk said.

Robert frowned for a moment and then he said. “He wants to be close to his son, to stop him from trying something in the current Parliament.” Robert wasn’t sure if that was true but he suspected it. He did suspect that the Prince and the Queen had worked together to set up the impeachment.

“Agreed.” Suffolk said.

“So, we must turn the father against the son to stop something damaging happening?” Robert asked. That would be more difficult now that the King had a grandson.

“Not necessarily.” Suffolk replied. “We just need to distract them both.”

Robert was about to ask how, but then the answer came to him. “Scotland.”

“Exactly.” Suffolk said smiling.

“We need to put Council’s attention and the King’s attention on events in Lewis.” Robert said. That should be reasonably easy to do. The King was obsessed with turning the Isles into what he called ‘properly civilised peoples’ and as such had given Lord Mackenzie the right to set up on the Isle of Lewis and establish settlers there. Mackenzie had fought a long and bloody war with Clan Macleod the occupants of Lewis and had recently died. Something that had thrown the King’s plans into disarray.

“Do you think you will be able to do this?” Suffolk asked.

Robert bristled slightly. “Yes, I will meet with the King soon and speak to him about Lewis.” Indeed, Robert was convinced he had some family in Lewis who had gone with Mackenzie. That would help his cause. The King still wanted people’s families to be safe after all.

“Good.” Suffolk said. “I shall mention the issue of Denmark and its war with Sweden as well.”

Robert nodded. “What is going on there?” He never really paid much attention to what was going on in that part of the world, but if it would prevent the King from focusing on Spain, then he was all for it.

Suffolk sighed, as if he couldn’t believe that Robert didn’t know. “Denmark and Sweden are fighting over Sweden’s claims to dominion over Northern Norway. It seems the Danes have achieved some early victories and now the Swedes are trying desperately to find a way out of their predicament.”

Robert nodded. “So, what will you suggest the King do?”

“Put a ban on any Swedish goods coming into England, Scotland or Ireland. Expel the Swedish ambassador and show solidarity with the Danes.” Suffolk said.

Robert swallowed nervously. “You don’t think that’s a little on the nose?”

“No. It’s something that will show that we mean business, and it will also ensure that the King spends time going over the matter rather than worrying about Spain and Ireland.” Suffolk answered.

Robert considered this. He supposed the man was right, the King would spend a long time agonising over whether to comply with Suffolk’s suggestion, at which point the council would have to get involved, meaning whatever was or wasn’t going to happen in Ireland would get forgotten and a situation could be avoided. “I suppose you’re right.” He said then.

“Good.” Suffolk said. The man got up then. “We both know what we must do, there’s no point delaying.”

Robert got up, and prepared himself. It would not be pleasant but it needed to be done. “Very well. God bless you, Sir.”

“And you.” Suffolk replied before he departed, leaving Robert alone for a moment to take a breath and say a prayer.

It would be difficult, but it could be done. He was sure of that.

Deleted member 147978

Oooh? What were you expecting?
Didn't expect the first born grandson to have a double name.
British Royals before 1603 were usually called by their first name only.

I guess Prince Henry Frederick Stuart and Prince Robert Bruce Stuart is fair play / game now.

VVD0D95

Banned

I guess Prince Henry Frederick Stuart and Prince Robert Bruce Stuart is fair play / game now.

Yes indeed, and tbf James I was originally called Charles James

Interesting few updates.

Congratulations to Henry & Anna. I see the logic behind using the name Arthur while understanding Anna's concerns but I must admit I'm only aware of Arthur Tudor, so I'm wondering who the other unlucky Arthur was?

Also interesting to see Henry is going to Scotland.

Finally I think there are gaps in Sufflok's & Carr's reasoning on James's caution against the Spanish. Frankly while James did not want war with Spain and was really desperate to play grand peace maker I think they overestimate how pro-Spanish his overall inclinations are and underestimate how seriously Kings generally consider foreign plots aimed at causing unrest. Finally James would know from Salisbury in particular about Spanish involvement in the 9 year war.

VVD0D95

Banned
Interesting few updates.

Congratulations to Henry & Anna. I see the logic behind using the name Arthur while understanding Anna's concerns but I must admit I'm only aware of Arthur Tudor, so I'm wondering who the other unlucky Arthur was?

Also interesting to see Henry is going to Scotland.

Finally I think there are gaps in Sufflok's & Carr's reasoning on James's caution against the Spanish. Frankly while James did not want war with Spain and was really desperate to play grand peace maker I think they overestimate how pro-Spanish his overall inclinations are and underestimate how seriously Kings generally consider foreign plots aimed at causing unrest. Finally James would know from Salisbury in particular about Spanish involvement in the 9 year war.

James IV's second son, Prince Arthur Stewart born 1509 died 1510 :)

And oh definitely, I think their own biases are showing through there.

Well Congratz to Henry and Anna may Prince Arthur James be well, healthy and live a long life, same for his parents.

I wonder if Mr Carr has tried apologising and fawning over James?

I think the apologizing would go something like this.
Carr: Oh your highness. I am so sorry.
James: I am done with you, Robert. I can’t believe you would say that to me. I brought you up from nothing and this is how you repay me. I have moved on and found someone better.
Carr:Who could replace me?
(George Villiers walks in)

I hope that Carr and Villiers or some of their allies try to poison one another. We haven't had a good poisoning plot in a looong while I feel. The Royal court could also use some murder mystery drama. Perhaps solved by a visitor from the Spanish Netherlands (If you get that reference, then you're awesome)

I hope that Carr and Villiers or some of their allies try to poison one another. We haven't had a good poisoning plot in a looong while I feel. The Royal court could also use some murder mystery drama. Perhaps solved by a visitor from the Spanish Netherlands (If you get that reference, then you're awesome)
Someone could try to poison Villiers and Queen Anne or Elizabeth or one of the children end up drinking it?