Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

In an earlier chapter, it was mentioned that Robert Carr had said something to the King which made the King mad. Could this have been perhaps an insult against one of James’s children, his wife, maybe making fun of James never knowing his parents,etc.

VVD0D95

Banned
In an earlier chapter, it was mentioned that Robert Carr had said something to the King which made the King mad. Could this have been perhaps an insult against one of James’s children, his wife, maybe making fun of James never knowing his parents,etc.
Doubt it, as such a thing could be construed as treasonous. You’ll see what it was that was said soon.

Chapter 48: Spain

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 48: Spain

April, 1611

Felipe, King of Spain and her empire took a deep shuddering breath and tried to prevent the tremors in his hands from showing. He was tired. Ruling such a vast network of territories was exhausting and he didn’t have the energy for it. He’d only been King for thirteen years and he already wanted to seek the sanctuary of the monastery. Only the thought that his son and heir Felipe was a mere boy of six prevented him from doing that. He would not burden his son.

Instead, he looked at Francisco, his chief advisor and spoke. “Our sister Isabella has written to say that our niece is better.” That was a good thing, he had prayed fervently for his niece to recover. He didn’t want his sister to experience anymore trauma, not after the death of her sons.

“That is good, Sire.” Francisco replied. “Has she said anything about the marriage proposal?”

Felipe sighed. He had not mentioned it in his letter before, thinking it inconsiderate, but he decided to tell a small lie to ease Francisco’s nerves. The man was obsessed with the marriage for some reason. “She has said that she and her husband are willing to consider it.”

“Good, that is very good, Sire.” Francisco answered. “It must be Infante Carlos who is offered, Sire.”

Felipe frowned. “Why Carlos?”

Carlos was his second son and was only four years old. Felipe’s eldest son and namesake, Felipe, was six and was the more attractive groom, surely?

“Because it would be wiser to avoid a personal union with the Netherlands, Sire.” Francisco answered. “The truce we negotiated with the Republic is holding strong for now, but if they think that there is some chance for a personal union between the Netherlands and Spain again, they will not hesitate to break the truce.”

“You think they would?” Felipe asked horrified. “I thought the Prince of Orange was a decent man.”

“He is, Sire.” Francisco replied. “But the Republic is not ruled by the Prince of Orange alone, but rather the merchants of Holland and Amsterdam. If they suspect a union between Spain and the Netherlands, they will push for war to protect their commercial interests.”

Felipe sighed. Commercial interests as a valid reason for war? That wasn’t very Christian, but then the Republic was filled with heretics, so what else could be expected? “So, Carlos for my niece. Is that what you are suggesting?”

“Yes, Sire.” Francisco said. “To keep the peace and to ensure that the headache of the Netherlands remains over there.” Francisco said that last part with a smile to let Felipe know he was joking.

Felipe grinned in return and then said. “Very well, let us see what my sister decides.” He knew it would be his sister deciding, she had her husband firmly under her thumb after all.

There was a brief pause as Felipe felt his hands start to shake even more intensely. He took a deep breath and then focused on Francisco, as another thought came to his mind then. “The King of Poland has replied to the offer we made him.”

“Sire?” Francisco replied tentatively.

“He has accepted.” Felipe said.

Francisco visibly relaxed in relief. “That is good, Sire. A marriage to Poland will bring a lot of benefits.”

“Such as?” Felipe asked. Poland was on the other side of Europe, and involved in some strange business with Russia and Sweden, what possible benefits could it bring?

“New trade routes for Your Most Catholic Majesty’s merchants, which will give the Kingdom a chance to grow, which will help reduce the deficit. Poland is a market that is waiting to be exploited, Sire. Your Most Catholic Majesty’s father knew that and I think we must build on that.” Francisco replied.

Felipe sighed. “Fine.” A pause and then. “How will we pay for the dowry though? As you say there is a deficit, and we have promised quite a high dowry.”

500,000 if he remembered correctly, an amount of money that would leave what little credit he had left with the Bankers, dry.

“Your Most Catholic Majesty need not worry about the dowry, Sire.” Francisco said. “I have thought of a way to cover the cost.”

“How?” Felipe asked.

“I will pay for some of it.” Francisco said. Felipe frowned, his chief minister paying for some of the dowry? That was not good. That was not good at all.

“And the rest of the dowry can be paid for from the property confiscated from the Moriscos.” Francisco added.

“Will there be enough?” Felipe asked. He’d had some misgivings about expelling the Moriscos, but his wife, his aunt and Francisco had all agreed that it was a wise idea and so rare was it for all three to agree on something that he’d gone through with it.

“I think so, over time it will be. Her Highness will not be getting married until 1617 at least, by which point there will have been a return on the action.” Francisco said.

The way Francisco said that last made Felipe frown. “But?” He asked.

“But we will also need to keep the English quiet.” Francisco said.

“What are they doing now?” Felipe asked. The English were a constant thorn in his side. He could understand why his father had wanted to destroy them.

“Their Parliament has voted in favour of funding more colonial expansion in America.” Francisco said.

“But isn’t that in violation of our Treaty?” Felipe exclaimed, outraged.

“It is, Sire.” Francisco replied.

“So, what do we do?” Felipe asked. Did he declare war or threaten the English?

“We must put pressure on them. I would advise against any direct military action, but using our friends in London to bribe people such as the Earl of Suffolk to get them to hinder English colonial policy would be very beneficial.” Francisco said.

Felipe could see the sense in that so he said. “Very well, do that.” A thought struck him then. “What about the Irish? Could they not be used?” The Irish had been a favoured tool of his father in the past whenever the English had been causing him headaches. Indeed, Felipe had the Earl of Tyrone and other Irish dissidents waiting for action in Rome, perhaps he could send them onto Ireland with money and arms?

“I think that is possible though I would advise against using Tyrone, Sire.” Francisco said.

“Who would you use then?” Felipe asked.

“Someone close to the centre of English politics and the Royal Family. Someone who they’d least expect.” Francisco said. “Someone who can be turned by a promise of a crown himself.”

“Who?” Felipe asked.

Francisco smile. “Prince Henry of England’s Irish friend.”

Felipe raised an eyebrow, was that possible? Francisco seemed to think so, so, Felipe simply said. “Go for it.”

Last edited:
Uh oh, we’ll get some drama in the Royal court soon! Unless ofc he declines and warns Henry, in which case Anglo-Spanish relations will implode so hard

Ferdinand a second son, so TTL Maria Anna is born instead of Carlos? Me like:) IOTL Fernando was third son and would have been 2 by this point:)

VVD0D95

Banned
Ferdinand a second son, so TTL Maria Anna is born instead of Carlos? Me like:) IOTL Fernando was third son and would have been 2 by this point:)
Oooh hang on, I think I contradicted myself there. Sorry aha, meant to say Carlos instead of Ferdinand :p

And re. the dowry, as @Jan Olbracht put it, actual dowry can be a lot smaller than 500 000 but include the return of the Bona Sforza Neapolitan Loans. Probably in form of granting Duchy of Bari/Rossano back to Poles, which would be an enormous bonus to Wasa prestige.

The dispute also complicated the relations between Poland and Sweden as 50,000 ducats of the dowry of Catherine Jagiellon was dependent on the successful resolution of the territorial dispute by Sigismund Augustus.[8] Only in July 1559, the Polish managed to recover only a small sum of cash, personal belongings, and interest on the loan.[10] The Duchy of Bari was incorporated into the Spanish Crown, despite requests from Ruy Gómez de Silva and Cardinal Antonio Carafa to grant Bari to them.[14] For his services, Pappacoda was awarded by Philip: he was given a pension and made markgraf of Capurso and castellan of Bari.[15] However, the issue continued to be contested. Cardinal Stanislaus Hosius contemplated about bringing the case before the Council of Trent.[16] Bishop Adam Konarski managed to recover some of Bona's jewelry and more cash.[17] An opportunity to recover Bari and Rossano presented itself when Pope Pius V wanted to include the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in the Holy League in 1571. However, it was lost due to Sigismund Augustus' death in July 1572.[18]

Hummm..... wonder if loyalty to Henry is higher than Spain? Be interesting if Henry can flip his friend as a double agent.

Given how much trouble the Netherlands seem to cause Spain I am surprised they do not give them up and concentrate on the New World and its riches.

VVD0D95

Banned
And re. the dowry, as @Jan Olbracht put it, actual dowry can be a lot smaller than 500 000 but include the return of the Bona Sforza Neapolitan Loans. Probably in form of granting Duchy of Bari/Rossano back to Poles, which would be an enormous bonus to Wasa prestige.
Oh now that is interesting, how much money would that give Sigismund I wonder.
Hummm..... wonder if loyalty to Henry is higher than Spain? Be interesting if Henry can flip his friend as a double agent.

Given how much trouble the Netherlands seem to cause Spain I am surprised they do not give them up and concentrate on the New World and its riches.
If indeed Henry's friend is a Spanish plant.

And I think it's the prestige more than anything.

Oh now that is interesting, how much money would that give Sigismund I wonder.
The entire loan was 430,000 ducats at the time.
If at least part due to his mother (50,000 + interest) is paid immediately + the return of the duchies, that would be substantial.

VVD0D95

Banned
The entire loan was 430,000 ducats at the time.
If at least part due to his mother (50,000 + interest) is paid immediately + the return of the duchies, that would be substantial.

Interesting, I can defintiely see Lerma going with that once he's realised he hasn't actually got the cash to pay for some of the dowry himself

Bari and Rossano was BTW one of main motivations for Johan Vasa to marry Katarzyna Jagiellonka. Johan, then not expecting to get Swedish throne, hoped to inherit Bona's Italian estates.

Bari and Rossano was BTW one of main motivations for Johan Vasa to marry Katarzyna Jagiellonka. Johan, then not expecting to get Swedish throne, hoped to inherit Bona's Italian estates.
And if this + 50,000 ducats due to Kararzyna is included in the Infanta Maria's dowry, that would be an interesting development.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, if Bari and Rossano go to Sigismund/Wlad, what does this do for the situation in Italy? Would Sigismund appoint a governor?

So, if Bari and Rossano go to Sigismund/Wlad, what does this do for the situation in Italy? Would Sigismund appoint a governor?
Likely go to Wlad, Lerma being Lerma likely make Infanta Maria Duchess of Rossano and Bari so that Wladyslaw is a jure uxoris duke, his son can inherit but in case of childless death they revert to Spanish crown.

Governor appointment is likely, though Wlad going to see his duchies in person is not that out of question.

Propably, just like Bona did, before she left Poland and returned to Italy after quarrels with Sigismund Ausgustus. If Bona was able to keep her Italian estates while she was in Poland then her grandson or great-grandson also could. Something in Silesia would be prefferable, but that is wrong Habsburg line to demand Opole from them.

VVD0D95

Banned
Likely go to Wlad, Lerma being Lerma likely make Infanta Maria Duchess of Rossano and Bari so that Wladyslaw is a jure uxoris duke, his son can inherit but in case of childless death they revert to Spanish crown.

Governor appointment is likely, though Wlad going to see his duchies in person is not that out of question.

Propably, just like Bona did, before she left Poland and returned to Italy after quarrels with Sigismund Ausgustus. If Bona was able to keep her Italian estates while she was in Poland then her grandson or great-grandson also could. Something in Silesia would be prefferable, but that is wrong Habsburg line to demand Opole from them.
Alright quality :). I could see Opole being demanded should Austria need Poland's help in the future.