Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 41: Robert

VVD0D95

Banned

February, 1611

Robert bit back a sigh as the man before him turned and said something about needing to find his son. He was bored. The King had decided that the new Shakespeare play Robert II would be performed as part of a late birthday celebration for his youngest son, and here they were. Robert had to admit he found the concept interesting but the exaggerations were a bit too much. He might be nine, but even he knew when things had been exaggerated.

Take this current scene. Robert Stewart, his namesake ancestor, had just been crowned King, and yet was now running around like a chicken trying to find his son Walter Stewart, Earl of Fife, because apparently that man wanted to overthrow him. Robert wasn’t sure if the great Bard was an idiot or if he’d just taken license, but Walter Stewart had been dead for eight years by this point. How was he supposed to plot a coup against his father?

Robert glanced to his right; his brother Charles was staring at the events with his mouth wide open. Charles loved such things, Robert glanced to his left and saw his sister Elizabeth also staring at the event, so did she it seemed. That was one of the few things they agreed on, Charles and Elizabeth, how good plays were. Robert turned to his right and looked past Charles, to where Henry was sat with his wife-Anna Maria was due to enter confinement after today-they were whispering to one another. Not loudly but Robert could see their mouths moving.

Then to their right were the King and Queen, who were watching with rapt attention. They loved this sort of stuff. Robert didn’t. He found it boring and tedious. He’d much prefer to be reading one of the books that the Earl of Rutland had given him the other day. A book about the same man that this play was about. It would be more accurate and more enthralling.

Robert turned back to the play when he heard a splat and a shout. He saw one of the actors-was this the one playing Walter Stewart-lying on the ground, whilst the one playing King Robert stood over him with a sword. King Robert spoke then. “Be gone, ye pestilent son of mine. Be ye cast aside to the bones of hell, thou shall know no sleep or rest.” The King raised his sword and then brought it down in one fell swoop. Walter Stewart groaned and then stopped.

A moment past, then the bard himself, his pate bald, his beard wispy, and his eyes beady stepped forth from the shadows. The actors playing Robert and Walter rose, and other actors stepped forth, they linked arms and then bowed. The bard spoke. “The end of King Robert II, Part I, Your Majesties, Your Highnesses.”

All eyes were on him, traditionally, the King would be the one to say something to recognise the performance, but as this was for him, it was Robert’s role today. He cleared his throat, and then as formally as possible, he said. “Thank you, gentlemen, for this fabulous performance. I truly appreciated it, and look forward to part two.” He smiled and grabbed his cup and raised it, toasting them, as he’d seen his father do countless times before.

“To His Highness Prince Robert!” Someone exclaimed.

“To The King’s men!” Someone else exclaimed.

“To The King!” Someone else added.

These cheers went on for quite some time, but eventually quietened when the King raised a hand. The man looked at Robert and smiled. “Robert, my dearest son, I remember the day you were born. You came forth with a great roar and a great bite. All proclaimed that you were like a lion.” Robert shifted wondering where the King was going with this. “Consequently, as you turn nine, we felt it appropriate to give you a gift to celebrate that age.” The King clapped his hands and the doors opened. Robert turned and gasped as nine men walked in leading nine lions into the hall.

“Lions from the heart of the southern continent of Africa, for your collection in the Royal Menagerie.” The King said.

Robert grinned. He’d always liked lions. He got up and bowed before the King. “Thank you, Your Majesty. I am honoured.”

The King nodded, allowed the lions to stare at the guests in the hall, Robert tentatively moved toward them. Stopping before the biggest one. It snuffled and rubbed its head against his arm, and allowed him to stroke it. He smiled and whispered. “I’ll name you Arthur.” The lion snuffled again and then the King clapped his hands and the lions were led out.

Robert walked back to his seat and waited. Were there to be more gifts or was that it?

The doors had barely shut when they opened again, and several members of his mother’s household walked in carrying chests.

The Queen stood up and announced. “I know how much you love to read, my darling boy, therefore, I have asked for the greatest books on sailing and navigation that yet exist for your perusal.”

The chests were put down before him and opened. Robert stared at them open mouthed. “Thank you, Your Majesty.” He said hurriedly, looking at his mother. His mother smiled and then clapped her hands, ordering the chests to be taken to Robert’s rooms.

More servants entered, this time carrying a smaller chest, this was placed on the ground and then opened. Elizabeth spoke then. “This is from Charles, Mary and I, for you dearest brother. A collection of clothes fit for sailing.” Robert smiled. He wondered what the final gift would be.

“Thank you.” He said, looking at his siblings in turn. Only Henry and Anna Maria had a gift left to give.

There was a brief pause and then, Henry got up and walked toward Robert, stopping before him, his elder brother smiled. “My dearest Robert, your fascination for the waves is legendary. All who know you know that you were born with a captain’s log in your hand. Therefore, as you turn nine, I feel that it is pertinent to give you something that you may use to show how knowledgeable you are.” Henry clapped his hands and two servants stepped forward, they stopped before Robert holding something that looked like a model of a ship.

Robert’s heart quickened. Could it be?

“I present to you, a model for a new ship, to be built for you, and to be ready to sail within three years.” Henry said, looking at him, a smile on his face.

“For me?” Robert asked stunned. Could this really be happening?

“Yes.” Henry replied. “With His Majesty’s permission. You will be able to help with the design and oversee its construction.”

“I…” Robert didn’t know what to say, this was an honour, a real honour. “I… thank you, thank you all so much. I am truly honoured.” He said then. That was the truth, he would have his own ship, that was something he’d never imagined.

I like Robert, chap is going to be and interesting watch as he gets older. I can see him forging trade links across the world with a merchant fleet.

First English royal to go on Safari to the wilds of Africa maybe?

Or maybe introduces lions to the Americas…

Last edited:
IOTL the honor to be the first English royal to shoot the lion in Africa belonged to his nephew and namesake Duke of Cumberland in early 1650ies. TTL maybe uncle goes there:)Though of course under more favorable circumstances.

A part of me hopes his ship will be called The Sea Lion now haha

This was a lovely little update. Robert seems like a clever young boy, and his family seems to adore him :) I also loved the Shakespeare play, and the nod to him taking historical liberties!

Last edited:
IOTL the honor to be the first English royal to shoot the lion in Africa belonged to his nephew and namesake Duke of Cumberland in early 1650ies. TTL maybe uncle goes there:)Though of course under more favorable circumstances.
I cannot see this Robert shooting lions, but writing about their majesty, and how they live in the wild.

I hope he ones the King got for him are mixed sexes. A proper UK ‘breeding program’ could be a fun divergence.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
I like Robert, chap is going to be and interesting watch as he gets older. I can see him forging trade links across the world with a merchant fleet.

Or maybe introduces lions to the Americas…
I could definitely see Robert forging trade links, he may get to Africa as well, at some point within the future.
Now wouldn't that be something?
I cannot see this Robert shooting lions, but writing about their majesty, and how they live in the wild.

I hope he ones the King got for him are mixed sexes. A proper UK ‘breeding program’ could be a fun divergence.
More on that later ;)

VVD0D95

Banned
A part of me hopes his ship will be called The Sea Lion now haha

This was a lovely little update. Robert seems like a clever young boy, and his family seems to adore him :) I also loved the Shakespeare play, and the nod to him taking historical liberties!
I think that could be arranged.

And oh for sure, he's the darling boy after all

Deleted member 147978

February, 1611

Robert bit back a sigh as the man before him turned and said something about needing to find his son. He was bored. The King had decided that the new Shakespeare play Robert II would be performed as part of a late birthday celebration for his youngest son, and here they were. Robert had to admit he found the concept interesting but the exaggerations were a bit too much. He might be nine, but even he knew when things had been exaggerated.

Take this current scene. Robert Stewart, his namesake ancestor, had just been crowned King, and yet was now running around like a chicken trying to find his son Walter Stewart, Earl of Fife, because apparently that man wanted to overthrow him. Robert wasn’t sure if the great Bard was an idiot or if he’d just taken license, but Walter Stewart had been dead for eight years by this point. How was he supposed to plot a coup against his father?

Robert glanced to his right; his brother Charles was staring at the events with his mouth wide open. Charles loved such things, Robert glanced to his left and saw his sister Elizabeth also staring at the event, so did she it seemed. That was one of the few things they agreed on, Charles and Elizabeth, how good plays were. Robert turned to his right and looked past Charles, to where Henry was sat with his wife-Anna Maria was due to enter confinement after today-they were whispering to one another. Not loudly but Robert could see their mouths moving.

Then to their right were the King and Queen, who were watching with rapt attention. They loved this sort of stuff. Robert didn’t. He found it boring and tedious. He’d much prefer to be reading one of the books that the Earl of Rutland had given him the other day. A book about the same man that this play was about. It would be more accurate and more enthralling.

Robert turned back to the play when he heard a splat and a shout. He saw one of the actors-was this the one playing Walter Stewart-lying on the ground, whilst the one playing King Robert stood over him with a sword. King Robert spoke then. “Be gone, ye pestilent son of mine. Be ye cast aside to the bones of hell, thou shall know no sleep or rest.” The King raised his sword and then brought it down in one fell swoop. Walter Stewart groaned and then stopped.

A moment past, then the bard himself, his pate bald, his beard wispy, and his eyes beady stepped forth from the shadows. The actors playing Robert and Walter rose, and other actors stepped forth, they linked arms and then bowed. The bard spoke. “The end of King Robert II, Part I, Your Majesties, Your Highnesses.”

All eyes were on him, traditionally, the King would be the one to say something to recognise the performance, but as this was for him, it was Robert’s role today. He cleared his throat, and then as formally as possible, he said. “Thank you, gentlemen, for this fabulous performance. I truly appreciated it, and look forward to part two.” He smiled and grabbed his cup and raised it, toasting them, as he’d seen his father do countless times before.

“To His Highness Prince Robert!” Someone exclaimed.

“To The King’s men!” Someone else exclaimed.

“To The King!” Someone else added.

These cheers went on for quite some time, but eventually quietened when the King raised a hand. The man looked at Robert and smiled. “Robert, my dearest son, I remember the day you were born. You came forth with a great roar and a great bite. All proclaimed that you were like a lion.” Robert shifted wondering where the King was going with this. “Consequently, as you turn nine, we felt it appropriate to give you a gift to celebrate that age.” The King clapped his hands and the doors opened. Robert turned and gasped as nine men walked in leading nine lions into the hall.

“Lions from the heart of the southern continent of Africa, for your collection in the Royal Menagerie.” The King said.

Robert grinned. He’d always liked lions. He got up and bowed before the King. “Thank you, Your Majesty. I am honoured.”

The King nodded, allowed the lions to stare at the guests in the hall, Robert tentatively moved toward them. Stopping before the biggest one. It snuffled and rubbed its head against his arm, and allowed him to stroke it. He smiled and whispered. “I’ll name you Arthur.” The lion snuffled again and then the King clapped his hands and the lions were led out.

Robert walked back to his seat and waited. Were there to be more gifts or was that it?

The doors had barely shut when they opened again, and several members of his mother’s household walked in carrying chests.

The Queen stood up and announced. “I know how much you love to read, my darling boy, therefore, I have asked for the greatest books on sailing and navigation that yet exist for your perusal.”

The chests were put down before him and opened. Robert stared at them open mouthed. “Thank you, Your Majesty.” He said hurriedly, looking at his mother. His mother smiled and then clapped her hands, ordering the chests to be taken to Robert’s rooms.

More servants entered, this time carrying a smaller chest, this was placed on the ground and then opened. Elizabeth spoke then. “This is from Charles, Mary and I, for you dearest brother. A collection of clothes fit for sailing.” Robert smiled. He wondered what the final gift would be.

“Thank you.” He said, looking at his siblings in turn. Only Henry and Anna Maria had a gift left to give.

There was a brief pause and then, Henry got up and walked toward Robert, stopping before him, his elder brother smiled. “My dearest Robert, your fascination for the waves is legendary. All who know you know that you were born with a captain’s log in your hand. Therefore, as you turn nine, I feel that it is pertinent to give you something that you may use to show how knowledgeable you are.” Henry clapped his hands and two servants stepped forward, they stopped before Robert holding something that looked like a model of a ship.

Robert’s heart quickened. Could it be?

“I present to you, a model for a new ship, to be built for you, and to be ready to sail within three years.” Henry said, looking at him, a smile on his face.

“For me?” Robert asked stunned. Could this really be happening?

“Yes.” Henry replied. “With His Majesty’s permission. You will be able to help with the design and oversee its construction.”

“I…” Robert didn’t know what to say, this was an honour, a real honour. “I… thank you, thank you all so much. I am truly honoured.” He said then. That was the truth, he would have his own ship, that was something he’d never imagined.
Never thought Prince Robert would be richly gifted for his ninth birthday I assuming.

Nine living lions, a chest full of sailor clothes, plus the "Sea Lion" when he becomes captain of the ship upon its completed construction.

He'll be lucky that he would be going places far beyond Great Britain and Ireland.

VVD0D95

Banned
Never thought Prince Robert would be richly gifted for his ninth birthday I assuming.

Nine living lions, a chest full of sailor clothes, plus the "Sea Lion" when he becomes captain of the ship upon its completed construction.

He'll be lucky that he would be going places far beyond Great Britain and Ireland.
Oh indeed, and of course, the expense of all this is something aha.

Sounds ominous. James stop spending!!!!
Spending on Royal family is not the same as spending on Carr, though financial debates are going to be something. Especially forcing through Parliament an idea of subsidising a Catholic ruler to wage war on non-Catholics - when said Catholic ruler has increasing troubles with getting the funding passed by his own Parliament (becoming increasingly anti-war).