Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
“A proxy marriage will take place in Warsaw at the end of this week with the actual marriage taking place at the end of the month. Consequently, you could not have gone off to Julich, either way. And additionally, we need you here to look over a few things.” The King said.
Changed it to the above.

Chapter 17: Poland

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 17: Poland

July, 1610

Anna Maria read through the letter and smiled.

Your Highness,

I hope that this letter finds you well and that it is not presumptuous of me to write to you.

I wished to get to know you a little better before our marriage.

I have started reading up on a variety of things such as the right dish to serve with Polish ale, and various Polish phrases, to ensure that it is easier for us to communicate when you arrive.

The ambassador has mentioned that you like music, therefore, I have asked that the musicians of my household learn a few of the more traditional Polish songs to welcome you when you arrive.

Please let me know more about yourself, and about what you like, so that I can make you feel as welcome as possible.

Yours

Prince Henry

The letter was written in French-a language she spoke and read in quite well, though she knew some English-she thought it was quite sweet if not that romantic. At least her betrothed-or husband she supposed given the proxy ceremony that had occurred last week-was writing to her.

“What are you smiling about, Princess?” Catherine Radziwill, her best friend and main lady in waiting asked.

“The letter I received from Prince Henry.” Anna answered honestly.

“Oh?” Catherine replied, her eyebrows rising. “What’s he said?”

“He’s said that he’s learning Polish, and that he’s getting the musicians of his household to learn a few of our songs, so that I can be welcomed by them when I arrive.” Anna said.

Catherine’s eyebrows lowered back to their normal level. She seemed disappointed. “That’s…that’s good, I suppose.”

“What?” Anna asked.

“Nothing.” Catherine said hurriedly, which just convinced Anna that something was wrong.

“No, Catherine what is it?” Anna demanded.

Catherine sighed. “It just seems, a little, I don’t know…”

“Boring.” Eleonora said.

Anna turned to face the older girl and asked. “Boring?”

“Yes,” Eleonora said simply. “There’s no flair, no spark of excitement. He’s telling you what he’s doing instead of surprising you with it.”

“And that’s a bad thing?” Anna asked. She didn’t mind surprises when they came from people she knew, but when it was someone like the Prince, who she didn’t know, she didn’t really want to be surprised. It could go horribly wrong after all.

“Yes.” Eleonora said. “Marriage should be about surprises.”

Anna was about to ask Eleonora about how she would know that, given that she was still without a husband as she approached thirty, but decided against it. Instead she asked. “So, what would you want a suitor to write to you?”

“Surprise, I don’t want to know what they’re going to do next, I want to guess, and see whether I’m proven right or not.” Eleonora said.

Anna sighed. “That sounds absolutely exhausting.” She couldn’t imagine having to constantly guess what her betrothed-husband-was going to do next. If she wanted that, she’d go and resume the little dance that she and Wladek had been on when she had been younger, before she’d abandoned it.

“It’s fun.” Eleonora replied. “It keeps things fresh.”

“Besides, there will be plenty of time to be boring and repetitive when you’re in England.” Catherine chimed in. “Especially under Urszula.”

Anna frowned at the mention of her governess, who it seemed would be accompanying her to England. Urszula was a strict lady, someone who insisted on following the rules at all times, even when the rules made no sense. “Surely, she won’t be able to enforce anything on us once we are married?” Anna asked. She hoped not, but knowing the governess who knew?

Catherine laughed. “It’s the governess, we all know that nobody can get in her way if she wants something. You remember what she did to Sophia last year?”

Anna sighed. Sophia had been one of Anna’s closest friends before she’d fallen in love with a knight of her brother’s household. Urszula had mocked her and laughed at her and then belittled her in front of her angry parents. Sophia had disappeared since then. She hadn’t come to Warsaw in April, which was most unusual. “She wouldn’t dare do that in England.” Anna said, hopefully. Not with England being Protestant.

“Who knows.” Catherine replied. “She might if she thinks it would be worth it. You know how stubborn she can be, Princess.”

Anna sighed. “That’s true.” That was very true, Urszula was one of the reasons that Anna wasn’t as devout a Catholic as she perhaps should be. Oh, she attended mass and did the prayers and all of that, but she found the excessive devotion that Urszula demanded to be redundant and as such, strove to be her own person. It was why she had murmured something to one of the servants who wrote to the Polish ambassador to include the mention that she’d be willing to attend Anglican services. Not even her father knew she’d included that.

“So, how should I respond to this letter?” She asked then, holding up the piece of paper and looking at her friends expectantly.

“Acknowledge the work that His Highness is doing and mention some of your interests, mention something interesting that you did, and ask him about himself. See what he says.” Catherine suggested.

“Ignore everything he’s said and ask him pointed questions.” Eleonora said.

“Like what?” Anna asked, half amused.

“About himself, about his desires, about his temptations.” Elenora said.

“But that is oddly personal and specific. Besides, the Postmaster will likely be reading the letter before it gets sent out and I’d rather he not read that.” Anna replied, especially as the man would report it straight to her father.

Eleonora laughed. “Well, if you want to be boring, that’s on you, Highness.”

Anna frowned at Eleonora. “I will try and find some middle ground.” How she would do that she did not know, but she might as well try.

“How should I start?” Anna asked.

“With a thank you, and then move right into it.” Catherine and Eleonora said at the same time.

Anna laughed. “Very well, that’s what I shall do.” She just hoped she wrote in an appropriate manner. She couldn’t stand the embarrassment that would come if her father asked her about the letter.

I’m not sure why, but I have a feeling that Henry and Anne Marie will be one of those cases where an arranged marriage turns into a devoted love story. These kids are gonna be just fine

Both Henry and Anne Marie sound extremely interested in trying to get their marriage to work well, hopefully they will be successful

If Eleonora is the Eleonora Ostrogska, she is a widow since 1607 and is currently being courted by Radziwill ordinate (Duke) of Nyasvizh (and soon to remarry him). Unless there is a different character of the same name.

Oh? now that's interesting
They both seem quite intent on making it work, and, despite their religious differences, seem like they would get along well. As far as I can tell of Henry’s character, he also doesn’t seem like someone who’d take mistresses, so there’s every reason why they’d be devoted to each other :)

VVD0D95

Banned
They both seem quite intent on making it work, and, despite their religious differences, seem like they would get along well. As far as I can tell of Henry’s character, he also doesn’t seem like someone who’d take mistresses, so there’s every reason why they’d be devoted to each other :)
This is very true

Anna Maria seems interesting and will hopefully become more of her own person once she is away from Poland. I'd ditch the Governess, she should have no say in matters of a married woman's life esp a Princess.

How are the regular Poles taking the England-Poland royal tie up?

Ursszula Meyerin wasn't a mere Governess (much like Madame de Maintenon wasn't one in France a century later).

How are the regular Poles taking the England-Poland royal tie up?
It would not be first attempt to make such tie, as Anna Maria's father asked for hand of Arbella Stuart's hand IOTL (although his motives are not clear-either it was attempt to make anti-Swedish alliance or Sigismund expected, that he'd be refused and thus would have excuse to marry his first wife's sister as second wife), also, Polish monarchs marrying their daughters or sisters to Protestants would not be something new, Sigismund Vasa himself was born from such marriage.