Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

BTW, TTL with Albert as a HRE we can see the Empire's own colonial program, which can be interesting.

With gold discovered in Guyana, more people would go there (up to the conflict with Netherlands/Spain over Surinam and whatever is nearby), while North America would be seen as less desirable place, leaving breathing room for Germans TTL.
BTW, TTL with Albert as a HRE we can see the Empire's own colonial program, which can be interesting.

With gold discovered in Guyana, more people would go there (up to the conflict with Netherlands/Spain over Surinam and whatever is nearby), while North America would be seen as less desirable place, leaving breathing room for Germans TTL.
Oh? Based out of Brussels itself? Where would they look to colonise in your view?

Chapter 178: Death's Hold New

Chapter 178: Death’s Hold

September, 1619

Dearest Sister,

I hope this letter finds you well.

It is with a heavy heart that I write to inform you that our dearly beloved father has died.

He had been suffering from something serious for some months now, what that something was, the doctors are not sure. However, he passed away in his sleep last night (1st September). As such, preparations are being made for his funeral. I would appreciate it if you could try and attend, though I understand if you cannot.

As to my own future. The Election is due to be held within the next month, I expect that the result should be as we hoped (my wife is pregnant, so that is a benefit), however, as always I am keeping an eye out for any people who might be suspicious. The French are sniffing around as always.

Give my love to the children and to Henry.

Yours

Wladyslaw

Anna put the letter to one side. Her father was dead. She wasn’t sure what to feel. On the one hand the man had been old, he had been getting on in years, but still, he had been such a towering presence in her life that she wasn’t sure what to think or feel.

“My love, are you well?” Henry asked.

Anna looked at her husband and then at her hands and realised they were shaking. She sighed. “My father has died.”

Henry immediately took her hands in his and said. “I am so sorry, sweetheart.” A pause and then. “How did he die?”

“In his sleep, Wladyslaw says that he’d been ill for some time before this.” Anna said, surprised at how calm she sounded.

She saw Henry nod, there wasn’t really anything they could say to that. At least the man hadn’t suffered. “Wladyslaw says that his wife is pregnant.”

“That is good.” Henry replied.

“Agreed, it will help him get elected as father’s successor.” Anna said.

She expected Henry to be surprised by this fact-it was something she fond surprising, after all the Sejm had all but acknowledged Wladyslaw as her father’s heir during the man’s reign, so why he would need to go through an election she didn’t know.

Henry grunted in acknowledgement and then said. “Well, that’s two of the old guard gone.”

Anna raised an eyebrow and Henry elaborated. “Emperor Matthias died a few months ago, and now your father.”

“Ah, yes.” Anna said. “Didn’t his brother get elected as the new Emperor?” She wondered what Albert would be like as Emperor, his brother had seemed competent if nothing else.

“Indeed, he did.” Henry said. “Albert is now Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, but isn’t ruling from Vienna.”

“Where’s he ruling from?” Anna asked, wondering how the Princes of the Empire were responding to that seismic change. From what she remembered of her lessons, the Princes of the Empire didn’t do change. It simply wasn’t something they considered worthwhile.

“Brussels.” Henry said. “Elizabeth wrote to me to say that apparently, there’s a rumour he intends to split the division between the Protestants and Catholics and feels that it will be easier to do from Brussels than from Vienna.”

Anna noted the tone in which Henry said that and so asked. “And what do you think?”

Henry shrugged. “I think that it might work. After all, when Frederick learned that that was what Albert intended to do he changed his vote. He went from considering voting with Brandenburg for some other candidate to voting for Albert.”

Anna raised an eyebrow. “Truly?” That was unusual. “Who was the other candidate?”

Henry shrugged again. “Elizabeth was vague, but apparently, the fact that Brandenburg voted for the candidate has caused that man to be shunned from Imperial Circles.”

Anna snorted. “That will go down well.”

Henry nodded, then said. “It’s good that the Emperor is ruling from Brussels. It’ll make things easier for us.”

“Because now Brussel’s interests are Imperial interests?” Anna asked.

“Exactly.” Henry said. “And given Sir Walter’s been sent off to find El Dorado, I think we need all the support we can get.”

Anna snorted. Her husband had overruled the Marquess of Buckingham on the matter. Freeing Raleigh from his prison and sending him off to find the legendary city of Gold, something that would no doubt cause all sorts of interesting developments.[1] “Do, you think the man will find anything?” She asked.

“One can hope.” Henry said. “I think there’s a good chance that he could well find something.”

“Why?” Anne asked. She wasn’t sure she understood her husband’s desire for El Dorado, especially with the cost of the expedition and everything else.

“Because he’s using a route that several others have traversed and they all claim to have found something.” Henry said excitedly.

“But have these people come back alive?” Anna asked.

“Well, no…but…” Henry said.

“But what?” Anna asked.

“I think it will be different this time.” Henry said. “Because Sir Walter knows what he’s about. He won’t fail.”

“And what about the Spanish?” Anna asked, she doubted the Spanish would be too thrilled to have someone like Sir Walter with his history floating around near their territory.

Henry waved a hand dismissively. “The Spanish can be dealt with.”

“What does that mean?” Anna asked. She wasn’t sure if she liked the tone of Henry’s voice when he said that.

“I have plans for them.” Henry said simply.

“And how does the King feel about that?” Anna asked softly. The King was terribly ill she knew, but he was still the King.

Henry sighed. “The King understands that the times are changing.”

“What does that mean?” Anna asked.

“It means that the time of being scared of Spain has passed. The time has come for us to claim our place in the sun.” Henry said.

Anna shifted uncomfortably. She got the feeling that however this progressed she wasn’t going to like it. But a look at Henry, with his jaw set determinedly told her that she would have to handle it one way or another. better to be there with him than allow others like that man Burton to direct her husband in his dreams. “I see.” She said eventually.

[1] Otl, Raleigh was freed in 1617 and set off then, here because of a variety of other concerns, his freedom was delayed to 1619

Henry shrugged. “I think that it might work. After all, when Frederick learned that that was what Albert intended to do he changed his vote. He went from considering voting with Brandenburg for some other candidate to voting for Albert.”

Anna raised an eyebrow. “Truly?” That was unusual. “Who was the other candidate?”

Henry shrugged again. “Elizabeth was vague, but apparently, the fact that Brandenburg voted for the candidate has caused that man to be shunned from Imperial Circles.”
IOTL Elector of Saxony threw his name in a hat. Did he do so ITTL?

House of Orange New
Maurice, Prince of Orange.jpg

Christina Magdalena of Orange may be in consideration for Duchess of Carnarvon/next Princess of Wales, it seems.
And congrats to Wlad with twins!

Christina Magdalena of Orange may be in consideration for Duchess of Carnarvon/next Princess of Wales, it seems.
And congrats to Wlad with twins!
I doubt that they’d go for a Swedish match, since they are close to both Denmark-Norway and Poland-Lithuania, who aren’t on the best footing with them at the moment