Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 14: Arbella

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 14: Arbella

June, 1610

Arbella Stuart, cousin to the King and sixth in line to the throne, took a breath. She knew what she needed to say, but as ever when facing her cousin, the King, she needed to calm herself before she said anything. Things had definitely changed in the seven years since her cousin had ascended the throne. He’d gone from being something of a country stranger, to a calm and assured presence, though his continued favouriting of Robert Carr boggled her mind. Arbella also knew that his relationship with his wife was not what it had been seven years ago.

Still, things had improved. The Prince of Wales’ investiture had shown her that. The response in the streets and at court and at Parliament was as if King Arthur had returned to save them all from hell. It was strange, and somewhat intimidating, she could only imagine what it was like for her cousin and his son.

The King broke through her thoughts. “You wished to meet, and we have granted your request, cousin.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Arbella replied.

“What is it you wished to discuss?” The King asked. He didn’t sound impatient, not exactly, but Arbella got the sense that he would rather be somewhere else.

Therefore, she decided to start off with a bit of flattery. “I firstly wanted to congratulate Your Majesty on the investiture ceremony, it was the stuff of legends. I know that the entire court was in awe of how well it went, and how both Your Majesty and His Highness the Prince of Wales looked and acted. I also know that the people are in awe of Your Majesty for the ceremony.” Her cousin Grace had said as much.

The King smiled at her, hopefully, she’d managed to stroke his ego enough. “Thank you, cousin. We appreciate that, and we also appreciate that you attended.”

“Of course, Majesty.” Arbella said. She had sat in the Royal Box with the Queen, the Duke of York, the Duke of Gloucester and the Princesses Elizabeth and Mary. She had witnessed everything, whilst casting eyes at William.

“Now, tell us, what is it that has brought you here?” The King asked.

Arbella was slightly surprised that the King had gotten to the point so suddenly, she was used to him either meandering or asking for more flattery. “Sire?” She replied.

The King laughed. “Come now, cousin, we know one another well enough to know when the other wants something. I know that you did not come here simply to congratulate me on the ceremony. So, tell me, what is it you want?”

Arbella sighed, she supposed the King was right. She took a breath then said. “I wish to marry William Seymour, Sire.”

“Lord Beauchamp?” The King asked, he didn’t sound surprised, which surprised her.

“Yes, Sire.” Arbella said.

“Why?” The King asked.

“Because I am in love with him, and he is in love with me, and there is nobody I would rather marry.” Arbella said. It was true, their love for one another had snuck up on her, she’d initially just taken to flirting with him and occasionally fooling about, but then she’d started developing feelings for him and well, she knew what that meant.

The King shifted in his seat. “Love is a strong word. Tell me more.”

Arbella shifted slightly, how was she supposed to explain what she felt about William, to the King, when she barely knew how to put it into words for herself? She opened her mouth and then just said the first thing that came to mind. “William is kind, he is generous, he is someone who makes me laugh. I know him and he knows me. And most importantly I trust him. Which, as I am sure Your Majesty knows, for our family has never been an easy thing to come by. We are people who work well together, which is something that all marriages require to work. And I think that it would be hugely beneficial to the court and the Kingdom.”

“How so?” The King asked.

“Well, it would remove us both from the marriage board. It would prevent anyone from trying to claim either one of us.” Arbella said. She knew that either the King of Poland or the King of Spain had at one point sought her out as a bride, and that someone had been sniffing around William, hoping to use him to cause trouble.

“I suppose that is true.” The King replied. “Go on.”

“We are both incredibly loyal to Your Majesty. Indeed, William has on more than one occasion offered to command forces for Your Majesty against disreputable forces either in Ireland or in Scotland. He has also always ensured to give good counsel when asked for it, and he is someone who gets on well with Lord Salisbury and Lord Carr.” Arbella said. She didn’t like Carr, but William made it a point to keep the man onside, which she was sure would win him points with the King.

“In short, I think this is the most sensible and long term solution to the issue that both myself and William present, Sire.” Arbella said.

“I see.” The King replied. He was silent for a time after that, which forced Arbella to shift around on her feet. She had never liked having to wait for things. Having always found it quite annoying. Perhaps that was her father’s influence. She had been told by her grandmother that her father had always been slightly impulsive.

She was about to say something else, when the King spoke. “I understand where you are coming from, cousin, and I am happy for you.”

Arbella’s heart started to quicken, was the King going to grant her, her request?

“Your reasoning is sound, it would be reasonable to allow you and William to marry, especially as your place in the succession is not so adaptable as it once was.” The King continued, Arbella nodded, holding her breath. “However, we have one request.”

“Sire?” Arbella replied, waiting and hoping against hope.

“In return for us granting you permission to wed William, you wait for a year until you marry.” The King said.

“A year?” Arbella asked, wondering why the King had given a specific limit.

“Yes. The Prince of Wales will soon be marrying, and we wish for him to have a child first. Then once he has done that, you will be free to marry.” The King said. “Can you do that for me?”

Arbella wanted to say no, she wanted to scream and shout, but instead, she took a breath and said. “Of course, Your Majesty, thank you, Your Majesty.”

“Good.” The King replied smiling. Arbella smiled in return. It was a year; a year could fly by.

Good to know that Arabella will have a happier fate ttl. I guess that with James and Anne having 5 children instead of 3, her and William’s places in the succession are far less important?

VVD0D95

Banned
Good to know that Arabella will have a happier fate ttl. I guess that with James and Anne having 5 children instead of 3, her and William’s places in the succession are far less important?

Yes indeed, though I think James is kinda wanting to push them even further down the line, before agreeing to their union.