Alamgirnama: A Mughal Timeline

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Madhav Deval, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Madhav Deval Well-Known Member

Well it’s not really a Californian colony per se- it really is just a trading outpost in an independent state. For the moment, thé Indians are the only ones there apart from the Spanish and for continued access to California they’re dependant on island hopping from Java to the Phillipines to Japan and then across the Pacific.

What I’m trying to get a sense of here is that at the moment, India is going through a period of cultural uncertainty as the old paradigm is shifting. Populations displaced from their old homes, where previous hierarchies are being overturned in the name of capitalism and where the social order is decaying are drifting towards philosophies that are more and more skeptical. There is a rapidly growing number of really well off farmers who can now put capital into jagirs and receive shares, the population is rocketing, and the urban population is larger than that of Japans plus the British empires total population. For the moment, the growth in prosperity from the opening up of the economy and more liberal taxation has carried people through, but neither is such a massive urban population sustainable without proper infrastructure and neither is this bubble of growth going to last forever. After all, by this point most people don’t remember what it was like before the liberalisation and have lived their entire lives getting used to growth and growth and growth- how will they react do you think, if an economic recession sets in across the country?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    BootOnFace and Soverihn like this.
  2. souvikkundu25140017 Well-Known Member

will Mughals try to conquer native state in America?

will we see different branches Buddhism appearing in India like Tendai, Zen, and Shingon?

EmperorBuaya and Madhav Deval like this.
  3. Madhav Deval Well-Known Member

For now, the Mughal government couldn’t care less about the Americas- all interest is from private actors. And I’m sure that there will be an even greater number of varieties of Buddhism than there were in classical india, but apart from certain concepts I think Japanese varieties on the whole are far more amicable to the Indian cultural mindset than Chinese varieties, as they operate on a slightly more metaphysical layer.

4. souvikkundu25140017 Well-Known Member

Are Mughals now far more interested in Southeast Asia?

How caste system is reconciling with Native Americans? what is the status of a child born from the union between a native American and Indian?

does beef-eating taboo implement upon new converts?

5. Madhav Deval Well-Known Member

Well of course, the Mughal government itself only cares about its traditional foreign policy areas for the most part in Turan and the Islamic world to the west. Diplomatic relations have been started with the eastern kingdoms but often those are the private initiative of a particular mansabdar who benefit particularly from claiming to represent the Mughal government in negotiations. The Burmese empire on the other hand is a direct threat to Bengal and so the central mughal government is maintaining relations with them primarily for security not trade.

Thé caste system is legitimising Native American social stratification, not changing its fundamental nature. Many convert communities reject caste anyway.There’s no formal demarcation of status of natives and mestizos, it’s too soon for anything like that, and anyways the same dynamic is playing out all over Southeast Asia so apart from being a bit odd, as long as it’s a proper marriage nobody really cares.

The "beef eating taboo" doesn’t apply to millions of Hindus in India itself, the new converts too have very different views on whether it’s permissible or not. For the most part anyway, because they do better in the swampy California valley, the main beast of burden is the water buffalo, on whom no such restrictions apply.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Soverihn, Nurhaci and EmperorBuaya like this.
  6. Rajveer Naha Member

What happened to the Yazidis and the Bengali immigrants who were set to settle in a new land?

Madhav Deval likes this.
  7. Madhav Deval Well-Known Member

At the moment, they’re just trying to do their own thing and set up stable settlements. It’s not very exciting really at the moment.

8. Ganesha શિવા બાળક

You've clearly put a lot of effort into this TL and it shows. Fascinating reading! Glad I found it.

Cheers,
    Ganesha

Madhav Deval likes this.
  9. Nurhaci Well-Known Member

Have any plan of Mughal Industrialize?

Madhav Deval likes this.
  10. Madhav Deval Well-Known Member

I’m getting on to it fairly soon so I don’t want to give away too much. There’s a little bit of brain drain going on from Europe, like I’ve already said, with Italian artists setting up in India. Perhaps some others strapped for capital may try their luck in the golden bird.

Thank you so much- honestly it’s not work if you’re having fun, and researching obscure politics, early modern scientific and cultural developments has been anything but boring. Hope you enjoy reading of the troubled times ahead.

But for now, I think the Gurkanis have had it too good. The country is changing and so is the internal politics. As a fun little exercise, what are all the absolute worst things that can happen to the Peacock Throne- I want to see how many of them I have planned.

EmperorBuaya, Soverihn and Nurhaci like this.
  11. LostInNewDelhi Anarcho-Shaivist

• Religious riots in the heartland, and/or place-of-worship destruction.
    • Massive rural famine, or disease outbreak in ballooning industrial cities.
    • Premature death of emperor leading to corrupt/weak regency, especially if it's entangled in struggles between old Irani/Turki/Afghan noble cliques and the new Hindavi jagirdars.
    • Pro-western nationalist movements in Bengal/Tamilakam, covertly supported by local subehdars hoping to become kings.
    • Bloody overseas colonial war (Russo-Indian wars over Turan, marching through one too many jungles in Arakan/Borneo) or internal insurgency (peasants rebelling against zamindars) drains resources and radicalizes soldiers/officers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  12. Hindustani Person Ambiguously Brown

So
    Good to see you continuing this.