Al Grito de Guerra: the Second Mexican Revolution

I see Mexico isn't nearly out of the woods yet.
whose death nine years later at the hands of drug-trafficking soldiers would help ignite a fiery, public rage at the unholy union between the narcos and the Army
By 2008, an investigation by El Universal would reveal that over half of the members of the Committee on Corruption Reform had accepted bribes from cartel-affiliated Army officers (which would form just one piece of the massive wave of scandals that would rattle the foundations of the new republic just a few years after its inception).

This is really a fantastic piece of work - the whole process here is realistically kludgey and marred by underhandedness without being too grimdark or cynical.

Really great stuff. No revolution is complete without leaving problems for future generations to solve, even one as successful as this one.

I’ve noticed that this new state has a thing for Nahuatl terminology for political functionaries similar to Ireland’s use of Irish terminology. I wonder - is this based on OTL romanticism?

The fundamental change was to move Mexico from a presidential to a semi-presidential regime
Speaking of the form of the regime, since the president's role is largely ceremonial and he doesn't even get to formally appoint the prime minister as is the case even in the UK or in Italy, I think it would be better called a parliamentary regime than a semi-presidential one.

Another amazing chapter.

Cardenas got what is probably the best ending for him ITTL. Glad to see him persevere despite the murder of his wife. After five years under the tyranny of Barlette and the decades under PRI as a whole it’s great to see a successful revolution. Not a perfect one but one that ITTL will surely be celebrated as a massive win for democracy and liberty.

Hopefully Mexico will be set on a better path ITTL despite the horrors of the two Salinas presidencies and Barlette presidency. It looks like the future will have it’s problems but Mexico with a more democratic system will be a better place which is great to see.

A few quick questions on the form of the new Government...
1) What government out there iOTL is closest to the format of TTL Mexican government
2) Can the President veto bills?
3) Is there any OTL government in Iberian America (speaks Spanish or Portuguese as the primary European Language) that has a weaker Executive
4) Who is Head of State, the PM or the President (who gets a 21 gun salute when they arrive in France)
5) Does the change to the new Mexico have an appreciably different reaction from the American Democratic Party vs. the American Republican Party?
6) Does the new Mexico have significantly different relations with any country from the old one (Better with Cuba, worse with Spain, etc.)

Yeesh.

As we all can see, economics is such a complicated and messy thing. Building the right system to balance workers' needs, public needs, government interests, and private interests is always such a tricky thing.

Subcommante Marcos sounds like an interesting man. But is he trustworthy? Or would he become the next Castro or Maduro if he gained the throne?

But the election of Cuathemoc Cardenas feels like a real life version of Simba regaining his control over the Pride Lands. I can imagine Lazaro coming down from the Heavens like Mufasa and patting his son on the back.

Really great stuff. No revolution is complete without leaving problems for future generations to solve, even one as successful as this one.

I’ve noticed that this new state has a thing for Nahuatl terminology for political functionaries similar to Ireland’s use of Irish terminology. I wonder - is this based on OTL romanticism?

I don't know. I'm guessing there is some allure that comes from having a past with an ancient Mesoamerican civilization. Perhaps it is the Mexican version of "woke".

Ever since the OTL Mexican Revolution, when Mexicans feel nationalistic, they bring up their Aztec past.

I don't know. I'm guessing there is some allure that comes from having a past with an ancient Mesoamerican civilization. Perhaps it is the Mexican version of "woke".

Ever since the OTL Mexican Revolution, when Mexicans feel nationalistic, they bring up their Aztec past.
Well, it's because of a pride of having a pretty strong civilization before the arrival of the conquistadores, even though quite often they don't treat the indigenous peoples of the country all that well at times.

Well, it's because of a pride of having a pretty strong civilization before the arrival of the conquistadores, even though quite often they don't treat the indigenous peoples of the country all that well at times.

So this is basically an inborn cultural appropriation: since not only is there no respect to the Natives, but it ignores the conquest of the Aztecs was not black and white.

Hell, some tribes welcomed Cortez.

Hell, some tribes welcomed Cortez.
They welcomed Cortez because they saw his men as goons to hire to get their own back at rivals. Cortez basically showed up, was used to break the Aztec Triple Alliance's hegemony, and then the Spanish spent the next few decades pouring blood and treasure into Mexico to wipe out the states that were vying for dominance in the power vacuum.

Of course the official Spanish perspective was that they had conquered the whole region by taking out the tlatoanis of Tenochtitlan, and everything else was just a "rebellion", but that's pretty clearly not what the facts on the ground were.

They welcomed Cortez because they saw his men as goons to hire to get their own back at rivals. Cortez basically showed up, was used to break the Aztec Triple Alliance's hegemony, and then the Spanish spent the next few decades pouring blood and treasure into Mexico to wipe out the states that were vying for dominance in the power vacuum.

Of course the official Spanish perspective was that they had conquered the whole region by taking out the tlatoanis of Tenochtitlan, and everything else was just a "rebellion", but that's pretty clearly not what the facts on the ground were.

I think the Spaniards having a religion that didn't require cutting children's hearts out was something some Indians appreciated.

I think the Spaniards having a religion that didn't require cutting children's hearts out was something some Indians appreciated.
Some on the lower class, maybe. But the oppression, slavery, and military conquest probably did not win any friends. At all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Some on the lower class, maybe. But the oppression, slavery, and military conquest probably did not win any friends. At all. Quite the opposite in fact.
Yes, but quite a bit of that slavery came from the need by the Aztec state religion to satiate the Aztec sun god through human blood.

Yes, but quite a bit of that slavery came from the need by the Aztec state religion to satiate the Aztec sun god through human blood.

I don't get how people, in the absence of science, can somehow come to the conclusion that they need to brutally slaugther someone.

DUDE 1: Man, we're not getting any rain. (Random god) must need more blood. Son!

SON: Yeah dad?

DUDE 1: I need you to die, K?

SON: OK, YEAH, SURE WHATEVER.