Air Force roundels and markings thread

mussqPw.png

The Roundel of the Royal New Zealand Air Force from my TL. Thanks to metastatis_d and BELFAST for their help.

Dorozhand

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but here are the Air Force roundels of all nations which have ever employed the MiG-25

einsatz.gif

einsatz.gif

As far as I know, Poland never used Mig-25. We had Mig-21s and MiG-23s and we still use Mig-29s, by we never had Foxbats. Being in Warsaw Pact didn't automatically give acess to all Soviet fighter planes.

As far as I know, Poland never used Mig-25. We had Mig-21s and MiG-23s and we still use Mig-29s, by we never had Foxbats. Being in Warsaw Pact didn't automatically give acess to all Soviet fighter planes.

According to Wikipedia, the MiG-25 was is/used by Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Belarus, India, Iraq, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Libya, Russia, Syria, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and the USSR. Maybe the map is an AH one?

So I had an idea for a Tibetan Air Force Roundel a few weeks ago. Only just now got around to making it. It was pretty simple and yet super complex. Initially I wanted to use the head of the Snow Lion... but I couldn't find a decent image of it face-on. So instead, I went with the taijitu found on the flag of Tibet.

I rather like it.

Tibet Air Force Roundel.png

Tibet Air Force Roundel.png

I think the same applies to former Czechoslovakia.

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but here are the Air Force roundels of all nations which have ever employed the MiG-25

View attachment 232446

According to Wikipedia, the MiG-25 was is/used by Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Belarus, India, Iraq, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Libya, Russia, Syria, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and the USSR. Maybe the map is an AH one?

I think the same applies to former Czechoslovakia.
That's because it's a map of MiG 21 operators.

New additions to my Sparrow Avengers TL.

Roundels used by Visegrad Defence Pact military aircraft.

v%C3%BDsostn%C3%BD-znak-vop-variant-2-png.528891

Standard version

v%C3%BDsostn%C3%BD-znak-vop-n%C3%ADzka-vidite%C4%BEnos%C5%A5-png.528892

Low visibility version

As in the case of OTL aircraft in the service of NATO having a NATO star somewhere around the nose area, each VDP aircraft carries this smaller roundel in addition to its specific national roundel.

The stylised castle comes from the central emblem of the Visegrad Union, the parent organisation of the VDP. The castle is simplified for the purposes of the VDP roundels, though.

(Sorry that the blank spaces of the roundels and white outer stripe of the first roundel aren't that easy to see due to the default skin backgrounds. Swith to a darker forum skin if you want to see them more clearly. Also, I'll be following these two up with two more, from a civilian variant. And I might make a remastered version of these, with some added backgrounds for improved colour contrast.)

Last edited:
Warning, this is just a test ! I want to have a preliminary look at how the roundels will look on a sideview of a roughly similar jet fighter.

The VDP ones are on the "cheeks". The ones on the tail are the national air force roundels of the Czech-Moravian-Silesian Republic.

Important disclaimer: This plane was not made by me, it's a fictional fighter designed by our Uruk. Speaking of which, I'm cooperating with him on designing some of the military jets for the post-war years of the timeline.

uruk%C2%B4s-plane-with-my-roundels-test-template-png.528893

VDP roundel default look, without national roundels (standard and low-viz)

uruk%C2%B4s-plane-with-my-roundels-test-czechia-png.528894

VDP roundel and Czech national roundel (standard and low-viz)

uruk%C2%B4s-plane-with-my-roundels-test-hungary-png.528895

VDP roundel and Hungarian national roundel (standard and low-viz)

Last edited:
OK, guys... Any ideas on how to make a more interesting-looking roundel for ATL Poland ?

Here's a list of the OTL Polish roundels:
Before 1921
1921-1993
1993-present

Any better ideas than the use of the OTL checkerboard ? The checkerboard always felt a bit... Croatian to me. I'd like to see a Polish roundel that does justice to the colours, but uses a different shape pattern.

Last edited: