Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

fictional Fokker D.VII color scheme, loosely based on Jasta 7 standard
the_valkyrie_s_last_ride_by_colorcopycenter-db5irt4.png

Notice the external fuel tanks in perfect position to be punctured by debris kicked up by the engines during landing and take off.

Nope, the large spherical tanks are for departure from Earth orbit, after which they're dropped. The landing and ascent tanks are the cylinders directly above the engines, so should be fine.

I made the Whitetip fighter in Simple Planes. It' not the best but it works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180113-163943.png
    Screenshot_20180113-163943.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_20180113-163937.png
    Screenshot_20180113-163937.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_20180113-163927.png
    Screenshot_20180113-163927.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 280
I do not want to be a bearer of bad news, but CalBear had informed us that Just Leo, one of this thread's regular and tireless contributors, has passed away. :(

I didn't know Just Leo too closely, but his artworks were among my top favourites ever since the early days of this thread. He will be missed, a lot. :( May he rest in peace and be in a better place.

I do not want to be a bearer of bad news, but CalBear had informed us that Just Leo, one of this thread's regular and tireless contributors, has passed away. :(

I didn't know Just Leo too closely, but his artworks were among my top favourites ever since the early days of this thread. He will be missed, a lot. :( May he rest in peace and be in a better place.
Dam I'm sorry to hear that. Just Leo was very knowledgeable about aircraft as well an excellent artist of alternate aircraft pictures.
He was always ready to help whenever I asked his advice on aircraft and or alternate aircraft design and gave me some helpful suggestions on some of my own alt-aircraft drawings, I know he also helped others here at AH with knowledge of aircraft and did a lot of aircraft drawing requests for his fellow AH members.

He will be missed. :frown:

Some future history artwork by Geir Lanesskog (the page spans a time period from the 21st to the 68th century)

uJ0Ywoe.jpg

Kd1QNfZ.jpg

The Archimedes class explorer was the first spacecraft designed for repeated expeditions to the outer planets. The Archimedes, Tsiolkovsky and Goddard completed seven missions to four gas giants, including the only antebellum explorations of Uranus and Neptune. A fourth vessel was planned, but a collapse of international agreements prevented the construction of the last ship. It was just as well, since its eventual replacement, the Thule, proved to be a more capable and much faster vessel.

In the 30's and 40's missions to the outer system lasted years. Jupiter was three hundred days away, Neptune about a thousand. The Goddard's mission to Neptune, including the delayed return and rescue necessitated by the failure of its primary reactor, lasted over seven years.

Excerpt from The First Century in Space, Janek Trudeau, editor, Lassiter Press, 2070

OtuhCdy.jpg

CPBZOu4.jpg

I always wanted to be the first one to a planet. When I was a kid, I thought it might be Mars, but that happened too soon. The Chinese beat us all to Jupiter while I was still on my first Mars voyage. My first command was the second expedition to Saturn. But the other gas giants fell to other commanders, and then we were out of planets.

When I was just a child, Pluto was still a planet, but then they found a bigger chunk of ice farther out. And then more. Now it's just another Kuiper object, but one more famous than the rest. After twenty-eight months of travel, Pluto and Charon and Nix and Hydra await us now, here far beyond the planets. At least I've led the first expedition to the Kuiper.

Only worlds around other stars beckon us now.

- Personal journal of Captain Jonathon Steed, 17 May 2048

B7E25C87-ABD7-40D7-A82C-661B6C31A681.jpeg

The funeral of the Apollo-N crew.

Remarks by the President on the Apollo-N accident.

“Yesterday morning, during testing of a nuclear rocket stage, an explosion damaged that rocket and the Apollo-N capsule.

“Mission Control immediately ordered our astronauts to return home and they did so, splashing down in the Pacific and being picked up by the USS Oliver Hazard Perry.

“But the explosion seriously damaged the radiation containment structure of Apollo-N. All three of our brave astronauts received a overwhelming dose of radiation. The crew have been recovered; but there are no survivors.”

“But the explosion seriously damaged the radiation containment structure of Apollo-N. All three of our brave astronauts received a overwhelming dose of radiation. The crew have been recovered; but there are no survivors.”

In that case, I'd assume those coffins would be lead-covered... and would require more than 4 men to carry...