Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

Sparrow Avengers timeline - Interwar era aircraft #1

letov-lz-395-krkavec-vo-farb%C3%A1ch-drok-png.207259

Letov L-395 Krkavec ("Raven") monoplane fighter in the colours of the Orava-Kysuce Air Guard (OKAG), 1930s.

One of the commonest 1930s monocoque fighters in the Sparrow Avengers universe. Profile art by unknown, modifications by me.

----

Real world inspirations: Polikarpov I-16, Letov Š-231, Š-331, Š-431, Brewster F2A Buffalo, Grumman F2F, Grumman F4F Wildcat
Fictional inspirations: Curtiss-Wright J2 Fury (from Crimson Skies)

Last edited:
Sparrow Avengers timeline - Interwar era aircraft #2

aero-jastrab-hawk-later-design-png.773433

Aero A-425 Jestřáb / Jastrab ("Hawk") canard-pusher biplane fighter, 1930s-1940s.

A popular biplane fighter design of the interwar period.

Profile schematics created by @cortz#9 in early 2015, under my guidance and feedback.

aero-jastrab-hawk-earlier-design-png.773432

Earlier developmental version of the A-425 Hawk. (Also by cortz#9.)

----

Real world inspirations: Aero A-104, Avia B-534, Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender, Kyushu J7W Shinden
Fictional inspirations: Hughes Aviation P21-J MkIII Devastator (from Crimson Skies)

----

Here's a post-war aircraft from the same timeline, decades later, just so you know that all these planes are from the same overall setting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sparrow Avengers timeline - Interwar era aircraft #4

l%C3%A9gihonv%C3%A9d-lh-70-ragadoz%C3%B3-png.773434

Légihonvéd LH-70 Ragadozó ("Raptor") monoplane fighter, 1930s-1940s.

Profile schematics created by @cortz#9 in early 2015, under my guidance and feedback.

l%C3%A9gihonv%C3%A9d-lh-84-turul-later-design-png.773436

Légihonvéd LH-84 Turul ("Turul") monoplane fighter, 1930s-1940s.

l%C3%A9gihonv%C3%A9d-lh-84-turul-earlier-design-png.773435

Longer-nosed variant of the LH-84 Turul. (Also by cortz#9.)

The fictional Légihonvéd ("Air-Defender", "Air-Homeland-Defender") aviation company is what the OTL industrial companies MÁVÁG or Manfred Weiss Works of interwar and WWII era Hungary would be like if they were given more funding and branched off into an independent state-run aircraft manufacturer.

However, unfortunately for ATL Horthyist Hungary - and fortunately for its neighbours ! - even with this increased ATL effort, the Légihonvéd company can just about keep up with Czech, Polish and other European designs of the 1930s and 1940s Sparrow Avengers timeline. Let's just say aircraft are a bit more advanced in the timeline, a few years sooner... because the whole point is a Crimson Skies homage in early 20th century central Europe ! ;) The Turul is by far the most advanced of the Légihonvéd attempts at a state-of-the-art multi-purpose dogfighter and backup strike-fighter.

Despite the Hungarian government's dogged efforts to now allow any of the Légihonvéd models falling into the hands of other countries, some Ragadozó and Turul specimens have been captured and adopted by central European air pirates, as well as the insurgent air forces of rebel movements in eastern regions of Hungary, in the Banat, and even in Serbian Vojvodina... and last but not least, by some of the Slovak statelets (e.g. the Miner State, the Novohrad Captainate, and if hearsay is true, a few had been nabbed for evaluation by the Kingdom of Gemer, the Košice City State via its Abov-Turňa Domain protectorate, and even by the Zemplín Federation and Transcarpathia. The Sparrow Avengers, a mostly Slovak and Rusyn gang of air pirates, is said to have shot down a few and even expressed some interest in capturing a Ragadozó or a Turul, to see whether the Hungarian's government propaganda has a kernel of truth or is just predictable hype.

Ironically, these aircraft are sometimes flown by government-sponsored corsairs, who are little more than previous Hungarian air pirates recruited by the government to act as aerial mercs.

----

Real world inspirations: IAR 80 / IAR 81, Weiss WM-23 Ezüstnyil, Messerschmitt Bf109-E, Messerschmitt Bf109-G, Avia S-199
Fictional inspirations: Marquette PR-1 Defender (from Crimson Skies)

Last edited:
Sparrow Avengers timeline - Interwar era aircraft #2

aero-jastrab-hawk-later-design-png.773433

Aero A-425 Jestřáb / Jastrab ("Hawk") canard-pusher biplane fighter, 1930s-1940s.

A popular biplane fighter design of the interwar period.

aero-jastrab-hawk-earlier-design-png.773432

Earlier developmental version of the A-425 Hawk. (Also by cortz#9.)

----

Real world inspirations: Aero A-104, Avia B-534, Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender, Kyushu J7W Shinden
Fictional inspirations: Hughes Aviation P21-J MkIII Devastator (from Crimson Skies)

----

Here's a post-war aircraft from the same timeline, decades later, just so you know that all these planes are from the same overall setting.

Heh, I "evolved" this one into a box-wing, canard pusher for Zeppelin deployment in my CSU. Slower top speed but superior maneuverability

Sparrow Avengers timeline - Interwar era aircraft #4

The fictional Légihonvéd ("Air-Defender", "Air-Homeland-Defender") aviation company is what the OTL industrial companies MÁVÁG or Manfred Weiss Works of interwar and WWII era Hungary would be like if they were given more funding and branched off into an independent state-run aircraft manufacturer.

However, unfortunately for ATL Horthyist Hungary - and fortunately for its neighbours ! - even with this increased ATL effort, the Légihonvéd company can just about keep up with Czech, Polish and other European designs of the 1930s and 1940s Sparrow Avengers timeline. Let's just say aircraft are a bit more advanced in the timeline, a few years sooner... because the whole point is a Crimson Skies homage in early 20th century central Europe ! ;) The Turul is by far the most advanced of the Légihonvéd attempts at a state-of-the-art multi-purpose dogfighter and backup strike-fighter.

Despite the Hungarian government's dogged efforts to now allow any of the Légihonvéd models falling into the hands of other countries, some Ragadozó and Turul specimens have been captured and adopted by central European air pirates, as well as the insurgent air forces of rebel movements in eastern regions of Hungary, in the Banat, and even in Serbian Vojvodina... and last but not least, by some of the Slovak statelets (e.g. the Miner State, the Novohrad Captainate, and if hearsay is true, a few had been nabbed for evaluation by the Kingdom of Gemer, the Košice City State via its Abov-Turňa Domain protectorate, and even by the Zemplín Federation and Transcarpathia. The Sparrow Avengers, a mostly Slovak and Rusyn gang of air pirates, is said to have shot down a few and even expressed some interest in capturing a Ragadozó or a Turul, to see whether the Hungarian's government propaganda has a kernel of truth or is just predictable hype.

Ironically, these aircraft are sometimes flown by government-sponsored corsairs, who are little more than previous Hungarian air pirates recruited by the government to act as aerial mercs.

Ironically Central Europe was the original 'background' of CS but the designers felt they couldn't do it justice and moved it all to a balkanized US instead.

Randy

Heh, I "evolved" this one into a box-wing, canard pusher for Zeppelin deployment in my CSU. Slower top speed but superior maneuverability
What is "your CSU" ?

Ironically Central Europe was the original 'background' of CS but the designers felt they couldn't do it justice and moved it all to a balkanized US instead.
I learned this only a few years ago, after about a decade of gradually tinkering with my setting in all manner of directions. Needless to say, that little bit of information blew my mind. One can argue that I accidentally stumbled upon doing an abandoned idea by Weisman and co.

What is "your CSU" ?

"Crimson Skies Universe" or our individual "game background" (Mine's more Role-Playing Game than board/mini game than most :) )

I learned this only a few years ago, after about a decade of gradually tinkering with my setting in all manner of directions. Needless to say, that little bit of information blew my mind. One can argue that I accidentally stumbled upon doing an abandoned idea by Weisman and co.

It made some sense as Europe was a bit more 'unsettled' than anywhere else at the time, but more in context Europeans had arguably more experience at using and dealing with "pirates-and-privateers" than the US did and as "airplane" crazy as the world was in the inter-war years....

Randy

"Crimson Skies Universe" or our individual "game background" (Mine's more Role-Playing Game than board/mini game than most :) )
Righto. :) Understood.

It made some sense as Europe was a bit more 'unsettled' than anywhere else at the time, but more in context Europeans had arguably more experience at using and dealing with "pirates-and-privateers" than the US did and as "airplane" crazy as the world was in the inter-war years....
The US and Russia in the Sparrow Avengers timeline fall apart, much like in Crimson Skies, but whereas the Russian Civil War is far more of an even stalemate than in OTL, US soldiers returning home from post-WWI bring resentment from the fighting, new strains of the Spanish flu unknown in the US, and even some ATL political ideas that will fuel the eventual balkanization of the US.

What are these ATL political ideas ? Ironically, they're rather liberal-democratic and centrist, rather than an extremist ideology. One of the themes in my take on a Crimson Skies like setting is that good intentions and genuinely good concepts can be abused to evil ends by the wrong sorts of people, as a recurring issue of modern history. In the late 1800s, politics in ATL Austria-Hungary gradually become more dominated by a pro-regional development, pro-equality faction of mostly young MPs, and they build up their success over time. It's a heavily regionalist political-social philosophy. This has large repercussions on the decades ahead, when A-H is more even developed and a bit richer on average, but at the cost of various regions getting more secessionist over time, especially prior to and during WWI. Once Austria-Hungary still falls apart, despite its best efforts - which quickly turn to trying to keep the monarchy together by violence - there comes a period known as the Disunion Wars.

After the dust settles, there's plenty of A-H and other successor statelets dotting central Europe, each with an increasingly independent-minded policy and unwillingness to rejoin others. A "be careful what you wish for" scenario. The regionalist policies helped lift many regions from poverty and modernize their infrastructure (to the point that they could survive alone if they went independent), but they also encouraged said regions' self-confidence, to the point they decided to strike it alone once things fell apart for the Habsburgs. *cue the Crimson Skies theme* Even in Austria proper and Hungary proper, there is balkanization. (For instance, Horthy tried to build a quasi-monarchical dictatorship as in OTL, but he's got some uppitty rebels in various border regions of the country, who no longer want to listen to the navyless admiral in Budapest.)

The successor statelets of central Europe found a military alliance of convenience during and after the breakout of the ATL WWII, and after they manage to oust the invaders and help the western Allies with winning the war, they opt to begin a post-war reunificaiton process. The smaller countries were crippled by the ravages of the second world war (differently to OTL, but still rather intensely), so they bury the hatchet, many give up their shaky sovereignty and unify into newer, bigger countries, all under continuing or newly-established democratic governments. The Visegrad Union, a regional cooperation block, is eventually formed, as are its branch organizations, including the Visegrad Defence Pact (a proper implementation of the improvised wartime alliance between the older states). By the early 1950s, central Europe is stabilised, and the VU consists of five member states (some would say seven... look, Poland's situation is complicated, okay ?).

In a final irony, after a post-war economic crisis that lasted a few years during the 1950s and left some less-developed regions more vulnerable to unemployment, part of the previously sidelined regionalists split off and started their own wing of the movement. A more radical movement, that claimed the new post-war direction of central European politics neglects those tried-and-true regionalist policies of yore. (Not a hollow claim, as they did really work for a number of decades, and mostly brought positive things for ordinary people and regional self-esteem.) Then one part of the "radical regionalists" who think these "Splittersss !!!" are not radical enough, get thrown out of the split parties for holding and spreading extremist views (e.g. "Time to arm ourselves, topple these new nation states, and bring back the One True Regionalism of our dads !").

The extremists shush down for a while, but soon, there are news of mysterious armed militias popping up in the more economic-issues-stricken regions, kidnapping people, performing bomb attacks, shooting up police, local government and services employees, and recruiting disaffected people (easy targets - mainly the young, and productive age men, duh) to their... ehem, "cause". Things get reminescent of OTL 1960s to 1990s Northern Ireland and other similar conflicts, and police have to be soon aided by the armed forces in certain locations. (These similarities are not helped by findings that the balkanized former Russian Empire, divided into constantly fighting nationalist and communist states, have been peddling weaponry to central Europe, á la OTL dictators of the past and present had to terrorist movements in Europe.) Long story short, ATL young Andrássy, who accidentally invented A-H regionalism of the late 1800s along with his even more systematic colleagues, would be face-palming hard if he ever heard of what post-WWII regionalist extremists turned his ideas into.

These 1960s-1980s events, aside from pointless destruction, loss of lives, and traumatisation of society, sadly almost discredit classic moderate regionalists for a few decades. The upside is that this does not last forever and they eventually bounce back, partly through following the changing issues of the day, partly through disassociating themselves completely from either the "just-MPs-honest" radicals nad the gun-toting extremists. In a fitting irony, said gun-toting extremists devolve into a mob following disparate ideas cribbed from anarchists, the far-left, far-right, and in one or two cases, even milleniarian charismatic cults. Speaking of which, by the 1980s, no one takes the armed extremists seriously anymore, and most such terrorist militias are little more than cult-like groups (sometimes with vague lipservice to the original political ideas they supposedly wanted to defend, but none of them are democratic-minded, unlike ordinary regionalists). It takes years to deal with this problem of domestic quasi-regionalist extremism and terrorism, in terms of social and economic policy, civic activism and law enforcement operations. Once the movements are defeated, some of their former members that gave police the slip turn to gun-running, drug dealing and other organized crime, and cleaning up their remnants takes until the mid-to-late 1990s. In the ATL 2000s, a 140 MPs-strong ATL parliament of an ATL Slovak Republic looks like this. Note that the parties and their focuses are not quite like the parties of the OTL 2000s (there are a few similarities, but it's clearly the result of a different 20th century and PODs that go back to the second half of the 19th century).

By the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21s century, the Sparrow Avengers timeline is entering the new millennium on a fairly high note. Their timeline is as imperfect as our's and the earlier decades were arguably even rougher for some countries than in OTL, but there was no totalitarian occupation of central Europe as in OTL (not much beyond shorter occupations during WWII), countries had more time to develop democratic traditions (both regionally in the interwar period and especially on a national and macro-level in the peaceful post-WWII years), many talented people or whole ethnic communities lost in OTL European tragedies were saved at least 50:50, or more, in the ATL. European integration has been both slower and faster. There's less of a pan-European integration effort after WWII, at first, but many parts of Europe created their own integration blocks (such as the aforementioned VU in central Europe), for socio-economic, but also military and research-and-culture integration, and by the early 21st century, these blocks start cooperating and eyeing wider long-term cooperation treaties. (It's like making a lot of little BENELUX-es and little EU-s, then eventually integrating them together, at least in international cooperation. A different to OTL but still effective approach.)

China was nationalist and authoritarian for many decades, and while not perfectly democratic, they've democratised by the 1980s and 1990s and are more of a worthy rival to Europe and a re-emerging North America. (The US had gotten its crap together by the 1970s, around the time some provinces of Canada were finally talked out of not respecting the central government.) A similar thing occured in ATL Russia, where the exhaustion of their already dated economies led to growing civic revolts and the toppling of the White and Red "provisional" governments that had been in power in various forms since the 1920s. It's part Autumn of the Nations, part the Carnation Revolution or People's Power Revolution. Decades later, though there are populist and demagogue forces in Russia, there is no popular "We must expand to the near-abroad, we are a superpower !" notion in Russia, as that died already in the 1920s and 1930s with the fall of the long-dead empire. ATL Russia is, ironically, reminescent of a developing India, Brazil or South Korea, as they are trying to catch up with the rest of the world (before the democratic revolution, they made OTL late 1970s rural Ireland look downright futuristic), and genuinely trying to build democratic institutions, instead of trusting yet another strongman. (Strongmen had failed them since the late 1910s, over and over again.) Unlike in OTL, there are also no "let's suspend parliament and shoot it up with tanks" antics á la the Soviet old guard or Yeltsin. Oh, and while Korea has developed a bit slower than in OTL, the whole peninsula is still united... and the domicile of a certain character who appears in an unrelated series of cross-timeline stories by me. She's from TL-37 - yes, that's the Sparrow Avengers TL - and OTL is supposedly TL-75.

(Thing is, when I started tinkering with these ideas in the late 2000s, they seemed like quaint fantasies. Nowadays, with certain countries at the edge of Europe setting up puppet regimes as recently as the 2010s, and fuelling largelly astroturf separatism, or people abusing various channels to spread division and pointless polarisation, it's become more eeriely topical than fifteen years ago. To the point I'm kind of annoyed, because now it feels I'm jumping on some current events bandwagon to appear all "hip" and whatnot, when the actual truth is that I don't want to do such a thing. Given the "Northern Ireland-like situation" in ATL 1960s-1980s central Europe, and plenty of other stuff, I'd say I'm aiming for something more timeless and applicable. It doesn't copy OTL, but plenty of developments would seem familiar to us. Some would seem better than OTL, some worse, and the end result would be a TL both familiar and alien.)

Last edited:
P-40 special
mongolian_tomahawk_by_sport16ing_dbq1pa0-fullview.jpg

Mongolian Tomahawk​

Link: www.whatifmodellers.com/index.…

Curtiss Tomahawk IIB
White 3, 1st Independent International Fighter Escadrille
Personal mount of Combat Pilot Flight Leader Tserenjav Enkhjargal
Ramenskoye, Socialist Republic of Russia, Socialist Union
April 1942

Following the Nazi invasion of June, 1941, the Socialist Union (SU) called on its international supporters for assistance, with several Socialist Republics immediately sending volunteers before and regular forces could be organised and depoloyed. Before sending the Mongolian Arat Fighter Escadrille, Mongolia sent volunteer air and ground crew to Kazakhstan for training with other international volunteers, from which was formed the 1st Independent International Fighter Escadrille in September, 1941.

After training on the I-16 through the Kazakh winter, the unit moved to Russia in February 1942 and were re-quipped with 15 Curtiss Tomahawk IIs. All were used examples, several having been refurbished or rebuilt by the 1st Aviation Repair Base of 13th Air Army from damaged airframes. Those that came from the 1st Aviation Repair Base were distinguished by their VVS camouflage and the addition of under-wing bomb racks, the normal bomb load being four light FAB 50 series bombs. The FAB 50m13 1941 is seen here, as per contemporary photos of White 3. Built at a factory in Magnitogorsk, the FAB 50m13 1941 was a "contingency" bomb that utilized the body of a an 82mm mortar illumination round filled with high explosive and suitably modified for aviation carriage.

The 1st Independent International Fighter Escadrille used Tomahawk IIs mostly on ground attack missions during the Rzhev-Vyazma Strategic Offensive Operation and flew the type on combat missions between March and July, 1942, by which time the unit had re-equipped with Lend-Lease P-40Es. During its time flying the Tomahawk II, the Escadrille's personnel came from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Aircraft were adorned with both red stars and national symbols, the latter indicating the origin an aircraft's nominally assigned pilot.

Combat Pilot Flight Leader Tserenjav Enkhjarga was a veteran of the 1939 Khalkhin Gol battles against Japan, during which he shot down two Ki-27 fighters. A founding member of the 1st Independent International Fighter Escadrille, he served with the unit until October, 1942, when he was badly injured in a landing accident. He was credited with a Lutwaffe Bf109F kill whilst flying a P-40E in August, 1942. He returned to Mongolia in mid-1943 and served as an instructor pilot. He was given a medical discharge in August 1944 due to failing health.

mexican_p_40n_by_sport16ing_dbcc75q-fullview.jpg

Mexican P-40N​

Link: www.whatifmodellers.com/index.…

Curtiss P-40N, Escuadrón 201, Mexican Mexican Expeditionary Air Force, Morotai, April 1945

Following German attacks on Mexican shipping in 1940, the Mexican government declared war on Germany and, with the help of the USA, began to expand its military. Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Mexico also declared war on Japan. By early 1942, plans calling for one fighter squadron to deploy to Europe and another to the Pacific were drawn up. While Escuadrón 101 trained on Grumman P-50s (licence built Spitfires) in preparation for Europe, Escuadrón 201 trained on Curtiss P-40s in anticipation for a Pacific deployment. In the end, both units would deploy to the Pacific, joining American and Australian forces to combat the Japanese in and around New Guinea in mid-1943.

In November 1944, both units moved to Morotai. By now Escuadrón 101 was specialising in night fighting and in February, 1945, moved to the Philippines with their new Grumman P-74D Bobcats, while Escuadrón 201 languished at Morotai involved in an ongoing series of air strikes against Japanese targets on bypassed islands. For the aircrew of 201, their greatest moments of in-flight excitement came when using the 4.5in "bazooka" rocket triplets.

In April, 1945, Escuadrón 201 moved the Philippines and re-equipped with the P-47D, going on to join Argentine and Brazilian units to form the Latin American Fighter Group, which saw out the war operating from southern Korea .

dcw07rc-15d31f88-f2c7-49f8-aee4-e7d9bf27e356.jpg

Curtiss P-40S/Kittyhawk V of RAF 112 Sq Italy 1944​

Link: www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfug…

Some background:

The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was an American single-engined, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground-attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36 Hawk which reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service.

The Warhawk was used by most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in frontline service until the end of the war. It was the third most-produced American fighter, after the P-51 and P-47.

P-40 Warhawk was the name the United States Army Air Corps adopted for all models, making it the official name in the United States for all P-40s. The British Commonwealth and Soviet air forces used the name Tomahawk for early models equivalent to the P-40B and P-40C, and the name Kittyhawk for models equivalent to the P-40D and all later variants, which were used by many Allied nations during and even after WWII: The last P-40s in military service, used by the Brazilian Air Force (FAB), were only retired in 1960.

One of the last operational versions of the P-40 was the P-40S, better known as Kittyhawk Mk. V because it was a derivative of the widely used P-40N for the Royal Air Force. The P-40N was manufactured in 1943–44 and marked the final production model.
The P-40N featured a stretched rear fuselage to counter the torque of the larger, late-war Allison engine, and the rear deck of the cockpit behind the pilot was cut down at a moderate slant to improve rearward visibility.

A great deal of work was also done to try and eliminate excess weight to improve the Warhawk's climb rate. Early N production blocks dropped a .50 in (12.7 mm) gun from each wing, bringing the total back to four; later production blocks reintroduced it after complaints from units in the field.

The P-40N was supplied to Commonwealth air forces as the Kittyhawk Mk IV. Subvariants of the P-40N ranged widely in specialization from stripped down four-gun "hot rods" that could reach the highest top speeds of any production variant of the P-40 (up to 380 mph), to overweight types with all the extras intended for fighter-bombing or even training missions.

The P-40S was such a special variant - it was a dedicated ground attack version that dispensed with any air combat capability, but rather exploited the P-40's ruggedness and good agility at low and medium altitude. Firepower was considerably improved through the replacement of the six 0.5" machine guns with four 20mm Hispano Mk. II cannons in the wings.

Furthermore, the wings' undersides were reinforced so that, beyond the normal hardpoints for light bombs outside of the cannons, three launch rails for unguided missiles could be mounted. Cockpit and engine received an improved armor against small caliber weapons.

With full ordnance load the Kitthawk V's handling was mediocre, at best, but the type was easy to maintain and proved to be highly effective against armored targets - this was especially true in early 1944 in tactical co-operation with the Army while fighting in Northern Italy. 200 P-40S were built for the Royal Air Force which primarily operated them in the MTO and Western Europe in 1944. A few of these aircraft were also handed over to the South African Air Force.

General characteristics:
Crew: 1
Length: 33 ft 4 in (9.66 m)
Wingspan: 37 ft 3 1/2 in (11.38 m)
Height: 10 ft 7 inch (3.76 m)
Wing area: 235.94 ft² (21.92 m²)
Airfoil: NACA2215 / NACA2209
Empty weight: 8850 lb
Loaded weight: 8,280 lb (3,760 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 11.400 lb (4,000 kg)

Powerplant:
1× liquid-cooled Allison V-1710-81 V12 engine, rated at 1200 hp (894.59 kW)

Performance:
Maximum speed: 343 mph at 15.000 ft
Cruise speed: 308 mph at 5.000 ft
Range: 750 mi (560 nmi, 1,100 km)
Service ceiling: 29,000 ft (8,800 m)
Rate of climb: 2,230 ft per min at 10.000 ft
Climb to 20.000 ft in 8 min 48 sec
Wing loading: 35.1 lb/ft² (171.5 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.14 hp/lb (228 W/kg)'

Armament:
4× 0.79 in (20 mm) Hispano Mk. II cannons with 120 RPG in the wings, plus up to
1,500 lb on three hardpoints, each rated at 500 lb, plus six launch rails under the outer
wing panels for unguided RP-3 missiles

welsh f111s.jpg

The FB-111 Lancer was purchased by Amddiffyn Awyr as a multi-role fighter but like air forces across the world, operational experience demonstrated that the aircraft; nicknamed Trwyn – for nose – by Welsh crews, was much more suited as a tactical strike aircraft.

After the election of Plaid Chwith in 1970, and the perceived failure of the programme, the buy was reduced from 26 to 12 aircraft, all based on Ynys Mon and operated by 17 Uned Streic. Throughout their career they operated in the ‘deep strike’ role – tasked to attack behind enemy lines in response to any English aggression in The Marches and beyond.

In 1999, freelance journalist Duncan Campbell published an article claiming that 4 of the aircraft - formally known as the Tryferu - or Spear, were fitted to deliver a weapon codenamed Gwaywffon, which was suspected to be a domestically produced air-to-ground nuclear missile. In response, Canghellor Dafydd Elis-Thomas said: “…the sons and daughters of Glyndwr would not be the first to use an arf eithaf [ultimate weapon] but our fellows on this island should not take that as a refusal to act decisively in our interest.”

Ahead of the conflict of 2022, the 8 aircraft still in service were put on 24 hour alert, with crews sleeping next to their aircraft. With inbound strikes on their position detected, they launched from Ynys Mon and flew out over the Celtic Sea. Refuelling from one of the only Cymry tankers to get off the ground, they flew north. Two aircraft attacked radar, SIGINT and ELINT stations on Mann, while the other six crossed the English coast over the Lake District at low level. Flying through the Dales and evading combat air patrols and the much vaunted Northern Air Defence Zone over Lancashire, they struck four power stations across the Trent. Three were destroyed, reducing electricity supplies to England by 2.7GW and plunging much of the Midlands and the north into darkness.

Returning home at treetop height, one aircraft was lost after it flew into, ironically, electricity lines in the Marches. The crew survived after evading capture for 2 days and walking back to Cymry. With their home base seriously damaged, the remaining Trwyn landed at 3 airstrips in Dyfed. With limited fuel and away from maintenance support, they mounted a second, less successful strike on rail marshalling yards in Doncaster and Nottinghamshire, which resulted in the loss of 2 aircraft and crew. The 5 remaining aircraft were unable to perform further missions, with Amddiffyn Awyr on the defensive.

17 Uned Streic were re-equipped in 2024 with 12 Corwynt ‘omnirole’ strike aircraft.

Last edited:
Would anyone happen to have a schematic/side view of the Spacebattleship Yamato? Been looking around but all I find are of very poor quality...

Would anyone happen to have a schematic/side view of the Spacebattleship Yamato? Been looking around but all I find are of very poor quality...

lots of good pics here

best i could find

With apologies to "Space Battleship Yamato" fans, and adding that I know pretty much nothing of the lore...

In 2228 the EDF general staff decided to solve a problem common to many of it's ships: the near total lack armament defending the lower section of the ship. As a proof of concept, and taking advantage of the fact that Yamato was back in dockyard hands for repairs (also proving the need for these alterations), the staff implemented a series of changes:
-instalation of main and secondary bateries in the ship's belly;
-instalation of two extra close defense bateries on each side of the lower sides of the ship;
-modification of the ship's prow, to eliminated blind spots, while maintaning a clear area for the Wave Gun;
-replacing the useless "funnel" with a secondary command tower;
The two year conversion was costly, but proved it's worse on the ship's very first post-refit battle, when a pair of Gamelon cruisers, trying to climb into a belly attack run, were promply dispatched by the new bateries.
dfh8smf-ae745640-8fff-4885-ba34-a298fc311fef.jpg