Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

I really like that Mir has a different configuration and the new Progress.

Yep, butterflies can fly in space :)

From the latest post of The Snow Flies, unusually not focussing on the Soviet shuttle, but rather on its new destination...

32628184152_58b8192cc7_b.jpg

32781465625_4817047c77_b.jpg

31967344623_290f843408_b.jpg

31967344603_816fd57f87_b.jpg

Last edited:
My New York Times front page from the launch of Ares was revised. I had a Facebook friend look it over who used to be a writer for them. He advised me on changes to make to fit their editorial style.

nytime-ares3AGED-small.jpg

I picked up an Ares Mission patch in vintage packaging from 1986!

(I had an old shuttle patch in the package and swapped it out. It makes a nice relic from an alternate timeline. I am also very honored to have the patch nominated for a Turtledove this year!)
DSCF8202-sm.jpg

I should have done this last March, but here is the NY Times from York's first EVA on Mars. I found a good posed shuttle astronaut and photoshopped them on Mars with a sampler in their hand. Then made some footprints.
nytime-EVA-OLDsmall.jpg

Thank you for doing this! It looks amazing. FYI, I am drinking coffee from my mug right now, as I write more of "Beyond Ares" before work.

Nice Picture
Only complain i have, that Spacesuit is far to heavy for Use On Mars...
Yep, on Mars it would weight 105 pounds as flown on Shuttle and ISS. The A7L used on Apollo would weight 67.8 ponds on Mars. It is just like my photos of the Saturn VB on the crawler, there is no way the real one could support the weight of 4 SRBs and the Saturn V. But they both look cool in the photos!

Yep, on Mars it would weight 105 pounds as flown on Shuttle and ISS. The A7L used on Apollo would weight 67.8 ponds on Mars. It is just like my photos of the Saturn VB on the crawler, there is no way the real one could support the weight of 4 SRBs and the Saturn V. But they both look cool in the photos!

yes on Saturn VB, Boeing and other were aware of this problem, only the Saturn V roll to Launch pad, there the four SRB are connected

Mars Suits had looked something more like this
like Gemini 7 pressure suit and Soviet Buran flight suits
nasa-gemini-7-on-the-way-to-the-spacecraft-.jpg
russian-spacesuit-6006.jpg

or Boeing suit for moment

SpaceX space suits are made by a company that made those cool suits for Marvel Movies !

I suppose the Mars EVA suits would have been designed lighter, since they would not have been hardened to be reusable and customize-able like the shuttle suits were. And they just look like shuttle suits on the outside! I have seen pics of the SpaceX suits or at least a prototype. It looks very futuristic.

The launch of a Saturn 1C. It has an extended first stage and 4 small SRBs. The Apollo is a Block VI version that has a shorter service module with solar panels.
The service tower at Pad 39C has a lightning mast installed. The hammer head crane was removed recently.

SLE4 Launch-sm.jpg