Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

Thande

Donor
As the football season has re-started, I'm getting more time in front of my computer listening to radio commentary of streamed matches, which means my eyes and hands are kept busy with Blender. So I've finally gotten around to updating the 'rogue's gallery' of spacecraft for Eyes Turned Skywards, bringing it up to the end of the 1990s.
Very nice. Whenever I see your concept of Apollo continuing and being gradually improved into new incarnations, I always at first think it looks far-fetched until I remember what the Russians are still using now...funny how preconceptions that "Apollo is of the sixties" does that to you.

Very nice. Whenever I see your concept of Apollo continuing and being gradually improved into new incarnations, I always at first think it looks far-fetched until I remember what the Russians are still using now...funny how preconceptions that "Apollo is of the sixties" does that to you.

In my own timeline, I have a bit of fun with this, as my TL's British space programme uses a rather Soyuz-like, Apollo D-2 inspired capsule for years and years. To the point that the domestic critics of the programme often use "that capsule design is surely outdated by now, we can't build new exciting tech solutions, please cancel the entire programme" as part of their anti-programme rhetoric. :p Because even in 20th century ATLs, the proud British desire of axing everything after WWII due to austerity most be upheld ! ;) :D In fairness, though, the earliest forms of this British capsule are what helps achieve the ATL's first-ever Moon landing, so it's hardly the inferior design that some critics label it a few decades later. Just like the Soyuz, it has seen constant improvement over the decades, and there are actually planned successors to the vehicle.

Last edited:
I thought this might be a good idea. all Air and Space and related pictures are welcome.

here is one to start this off.

from the Recently concluded Action to stop the "Mad Russian" The Renegade General Boris Putin, (no relation), and forces loyal to him after is ill fated attempt to start WW3 and in his own words "restore the USSR to her former glory!"

sounds like you had a psychic moment when writing that

(this was the first post in this thread)

Thanks! Just to clarify, the concepts and the vast bulk of the designs are by e of pi and Workable Goblin, with a varying amount of input from me (mostly on the detailing). So I definitely can't claim it as my concept!

Incidentally, I think I've now put the .blend files for all of these spacecraft on the Eyes Wiki, under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license, so feel free to download and make your own scenes - then post them here so we can enjoy them!

From Kolyma's Shadow Part II Post#4, atmospheric testing of Chelomei's "Orel" Raketoplan spaceplane, May 1964.

orel1.png

I love all the "old photo" effects you've added. And it's a wonderful landing, I've always wondered what it would have looked like if the DynaSoar did a desert landing on its skids.

A MiG-15bis of the Luftstreitkrafte der NVA attacks a pair of RAF Meteor F.8s that was separated from the rest of their element after strafing a Thuringian air field on the second day of the Third World War.

j6AqBfj.jpg

pksyjYw.jpg

TATBtUD.jpg

JpT0jUz.jpg

5j8TotG.jpg

A MiG-15bis of the Luftstreitkrafte der NVA attacks a pair of RAF Meteor F.8s that was separated from the rest of their element after strafing a Thuringian air field on the second day of the Third World War.
Are these Mig pilots WWII Experten? Anyone we may have heard?

A couple of the younger ones. Most Lufstreitkrafte pilots with considerable Second World War combat experience were, by this time, promoted to non-flying command positions