AHC/WI: Pro-Soviet Israel?

With a PoD anywhere between 1947 and 1973, how can we make up a scenario in which the Soviet Union (and by extension her satellite states) agrees to an alliance of convenience with Israel?
What sort of ramifications would this incur? What would happen to Soviet relations with the Arab states? What about Israel’s military, western antisemitism, among other topics?

Truman decides that maintaining good relations with the Arabs is more important + Stalin doesn't veer towards antisemitism with the Doctors' Plot.

Deleted member 67076

Stalin dies earlier; George Marshall convinces Truman to support the Arabs after the 48 war which leads to the mid 50s with Nasser as a solidly American ally receiving vast amounts of American aid.

In response, Israel increasingly swings pro Soviet as a counterbalance.

Truman decides that maintaining good relations with the Arabs is more important + Stalin doesn't veer towards antisemitism with the Doctors' Plot.

If Truman is too anti-Israel in 1948 he will lose the election and presumably Dewey will try to establish good relations with Israel.

Why do I say an anti-Israel Truman would lose in 1948? Well, he won Ohio by 0.24 percent, California by 0.44 percent and Illinois by 0.84 percent. Had Truman lost these three states to Dewey, Dewey would have 267 electoral votes--one more than the 266 needed to win. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_United_States_presidential_election Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Chicago, Cleveland, and Cincinnati all had substantial Jewish communities which could make the difference in such a close election.

As it was, some American Jews felt that Truman wasn't pro-Israel enough because (1) he only recognized Israel de facto rather than de jure; and (2) he imposed an arms embargo which was widely seen as favoring the Arabs over Israel. The Progressives in particular used the Israel issue against Truman; of course they could do so because the Soviets were pro-Israel. Leo Isacson's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Isacson upset victory in a congressional special election in the Bronx in early 1948 was widely attributed to Jewish dissatisfaction with Truman's Palestine policy ("Truman spills Jewish blood for Arab oil", etc. https://books.google.com/books?id=oOaJCpyZFW8C&pg=PA76) It is very likely that the perception of Truman as insufficiently friendly to Israel cost him New York. (While some of the Jewish vote for Wallace was from leftists who would have supported Wallace anyway, Samuel Lubell and others have argued that some non-leftists also voted for Wallace because of the Palestine issue.)

As for Stalin, while Soviet relations with Israel didn't reach their nadir until early 1953, they were cooling long before that. The rapturous reception given Golda Meir at the Moscow Choral Synagogue in 1948 made the ever-suspicious Stalin doubt the loyalty of Soviet Jews well before the Doctors' Plot.

With a PoD anywhere between 1947 and 1973, how can we make up a scenario in which the Soviet Union (and by extension her satellite states) agrees to an alliance of convenience with Israel?
What sort of ramifications would this incur? What would happen to Soviet relations with the Arab states? What about Israel’s military, western antisemitism, among other topics?

I'm not generally one to say "Use the search function!" but, like many Israel topics, this one has been done to death. Also, I said a lot in these threads and am too lazy to repeat myself, and just quoting myself seems weird.

Impact of the pro USSR Israel
Effects on Israeli politics if US is pro-Arab and the USSR is pro-Israel

EDIT: some more
Israel-USSR Alliance: American Butterflies
Israel under Soviet Union patronage
What if USSR and Israel alliances did not died

Last edited: