AHC/WI: Pro-King George III American Revolution

upload_2017-10-30_8-30-19.jpeg

The American rebels originally claimed loyalty to the crown and argued that they were only fighting parliament. This was partly just a fiction, of course, but it wasn't all fiction. For awhile there was in fact some sentiment that parliament was the problem, not the monarchy. OTL the Americans figured out that the king was part and parcel of the British establishment they were fighting, so the Declaration of Independence blames the king for everything.

The challenge: how to make the Americans continue to believe that they are revolting against parliament and for King George. For Crusaders Kings fans, they want to be in personal union with Great Britain but not ruled by Great Britain.

My thought would be to maybe have King George III have an earlier and prolonged bout of madness than OTL, so that in the entire run up to the war and during the war itself he is believed in America to be non compos mentis and he pretty much in fact is. Additionally, maybe have one of his last sane acts be to say something vaguely pro-American that the Americans widely seize on as evidence that the King is on their side.

Thoughts?

The effects of the WI: how does this affect the American Revolution? I think it makes a straightforward OTL Declaration of Independence difficult. The problem for the colonists is that they need to declare independence to get foreign aid. I think they end up declaring something like "Independence under the Crown" to get foreign aid.

Or else with the king being out of action, the war is prosecuted even less vigorously on the British end. OTL the war was not prosecuted all the vigorously, but there is still lots of room for having it be even more half-hearted. If so, the Americans could conceivably win without foreign aid. What is interesting about a super half-hearted war that the Americans win is that it could result in America getting Canada and even Bermuda/Bahamas--basically whatever part of the West Indies weren't extremely profitable.

Either way, you probably end up with an independent America that claims allegiance to the British king. When a functional monarch returns to the throne (George III recovers or dies), what does the British royal family do about it? Do they just rule America via a viceroy, or do they try to get a younger son crowned in America?

What are the effects on international affairs? I think this ATL America is still independent but acts much more like a Commonwealth nation. The ties are a lot closer, especially in the extremely half-hearted war scenario.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Actually, in OTL a lot of the early rank-and-rile rebels thought only parliament was the problem and they imagined a future with the colonies kind of like Hannover. The declaration of independence would have resulted in mass desertions if sent at the time of Bunker Hill. Fortunately (?) the Patriot propaganda machine was in charge of the colonial presses and the time was ripe in 1776.

Yes, I agree. So that's the AHC--how to get a situation where everyone continues to believe that parliament is the baddy and is aiming for America to become like Hanover. ("Becoming like Hanover" would be a good way to express it.) And what are the effects and consequences?

Last edited:
Maybe have the loyalists gain control of the press, but not have the perfect propaganda? That would not turn rebels into loyalists, but it without OTL events the goalposts didn't change to revolution.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Parliament would have a huge problem accepting an outcome where the King rules England and America as a personal union.

It makes the King insufficiently dependent on the Westminster parliament. They might worry the King would somehow use America against them.

Parliament would have a huge problem accepting an outcome where the King rules England and America as a personal union.

It makes the King insufficiently dependent on the Westminster parliament. They might worry the King would somehow use America against them.

So, irony of ironies... might this set the stage for a breakdown in relations between the monarchy and the rest of the British elites so complete that the House of Hanover is eventually kicked out of the kingdom, resulting in George III's descendants ruling America but not Britain?

Somehow make the Olive Branch Petition work.

George accepts it in a fit of randomness. This leads to negotiations, ending in a scenario where the INDIVIDUAL colonies are given an early version of Responsible Government, which can help ease up on expenses as they in turn help equip troops and/or forced to take up customs and tariffs themselves and all that in return for their local self-government basically being formally recognized. A Dominion dealie uniting them all comes later once they've proven to still be sufficiently loyal.

I say individual Responsible Government because a united America would prove daunting to the Empire and the Galloway Plan had already been introduced, but the colonies were clearly wanting to at least get recognition of their governments and were at the time still only just learning to work together.

So, irony of ironies... might this set the stage for a breakdown in relations between the monarchy and the rest of the British elites so complete that the House of Hanover is eventually kicked out of the kingdom, resulting in George III's descendants ruling America but not Britain?

This? :3

Have the Declaration of the Causes and Necessity of Taking Up Arms not be published, or at least not supported by the Second Continental Congress. Therefore, when the Olive Branch Petition reaches England, Parliament hears it, probably shoot it down, the King decides to read it, accepts it, and commands Parliament to stand down. (OTL he was actually pretty sympathetic to the plights of the American colonists)

Would they listen? Maybe. But if they don't, then it perfectly fits the part of the WI. Personally, I think that if Parliament refuses to listen, it could easily lead to a stand-off between the King and the Parliament... though, he could always just dissolve Parliament as a 'screw you.'

What about if a US Congress still exists, with the US having a government equivalent to Canada?

What about if a US Congress still exists, with the US having a government equivalent to Canada?
Again, it would allow the King to make money and raise armies and such without being reliant on them, which they desperately don't want, since without being reliant on them, the Kings could start to regain the powers they lost after Charles I and James II.

Again, it would allow the King to make money and raise armies and such without being reliant on them, which they desperately don't want, since without being reliant on them, the Kings could start to regain the powers they lost after Charles I and James II.

But what I'm suggesting is that George wouldn't have any political power in America, he would be subject to the American parliament.

But what I'm suggesting is that George wouldn't have any political power in America, he would be subject to the American parliament.
Which still means he doesn't have to be subject to either. If one parliament gets uppity the king asks the other one for help to put it in its place. For them to ensure that the king lacks a power base both parliaments would need to work in tandem with each other against or neutral to the king. Always, or at least often. Which may not be always in each's best interests.

Which still means he doesn't have to be subject to either. If one parliament gets uppity the king asks the other one for help to put it in its place. For them to ensure that the king lacks a power base both parliaments would need to work in tandem with each other against or neutral to the king. Always, or at least often. Which may not be always in each's best interests.

That strategy would become unsustainable should one or the other parliament get tired of being dicked around and either invite some new king or else declare a republic.