AHC/WI/PC: Megali Idea

I'm back with another one of my ludicrous ideas.

What would it take for Greece to control the territories below up to the Modern Day? When would it be most likely to happen, and what consequences would it bring as a result?

Greece.png

I'm fairly certain that any POD necessary to make this happen would need to occur before the 20th century. Anything afterward would be possible, but severely unlikely.

Greece.png

Well, Greece potentially could have won the OTL Greco-Turkish War in the 20's and gained some of that territory. The immediate effects in any event would be ethnic cleansing of the Turks.

I'm not even a little bit well-versed in Greek history though.

Maybe no 4th Crusade. Greeks and Turks continue to struggle over Anatolia, but the Turks never decisively win. While the map shows "Greece" today, there might be various Greek and Turkish states in Anatolia, or an expanded Armenia, Georgia, etc.

Most likely, there needs to be some sort of continuity with the Byzantium. I don't see the Greeks getting this if Constantinople falls at any point.

One must remember that the Ottoman Empire was already in dire straits in the early XIX century due to corruption, banditry, Janissaries' autonomy, emergence of Egypt under the Muhammad Ali dynasty and, to put the cherry on the cake, the insurrection of Greeks, Serbians and other Balkanic peoples.

Make the Ottoman Empire collapse or be neutered by this time (maybe a functional Greek Revolution? Averted reforms under Mahmud II?) and you will have Russians, British and Austrians jumping to "stabilize" the Black Sea region and getting their slices. Wait a little more and you may have Hellens in Anatolia.

A strong Greece on both sides of the Straits and the Aegean seems like
a) a propped up British client that is suppoed to keep the Russian Black Sea Navy bottled in, or
b) a propped up Russian client (or Russian secundo-geniture) that is supossed to guarantee Russian access to the Mediterranean Sea.

So:

1. No 4th Crusade/Destruction of Byzantium/Constantinople
  2. Successful Greek Revolution
  3. Anglo/Russian support
  4. Greco-Turkish War victory.
Probably most likely in that specific order as a whole.

But the 4th Crusade would likely butterfly the rest away. Though I do think that the BE would collapse at some point regardless. Which in turn would allow for the remaining points.