Is it possible for the Habsburgs to annex Prussia through war or marriage? When is the earliest this can be done? Could this be done in spite of the Protestant revolution? Could the Holy Roman Empire be strengthened by this? What else could happen?

Depends on the time frame. A Habsburg on the throne of Brandenburg (or even, somehow, Brandenburg-Prussia) before Westphalia isn't that outlandish of a proposition. If you mean 18th century and beyond Habsburg, it would almost certainly mean great European war, and one I'm not sure the Habsburgs could win

before 1600s it's possible, at latest a decisive victory for Catholics in the 30 years war, and for some reason the Habsburg take the Brandenburg throne

I read a timeline here on AH about this, with a dynasty Habsburg-Hohenzollern on the Prussian throne, I remember it was quite well done but sadly incomplete.

Iirc it belonged to the crown of Bohemia until 1417, when an impecunious Emperor leased it to the Hohenzollerns. It was never redeemed.

If that deal isn't made, then butterflies permitting it passes to the Habsburgs with the rest of the Bohemian lands. They might go on to acquire Pomerania, and after that who knows?

I don't know much about the period offhand, but it would certainly be interesting to see what the Habsburgs do with Brandenburg. The most likely would be taking it from the Luxemburgs via marriage (pre the Emperor pawning it), since IIRC it was Wittelsbach for a timr through marriage of a Bavarian prince to a Luxemburg princess

Easy. Habsburgs get Polish Crown and then incorporate Ducal Prussia into Polish Crown after death of Albert Frederick.
I don't know much about the period offhand, but it would certainly be interesting to see what the Habsburgs do with Brandenburg. The most likely would be taking it from the Luxemburgs via marriage (pre the Emperor pawning it), since IIRC it was Wittelsbach for a timr through marriage of a Bavarian prince to a Luxemburg princess
Heh. That does indeed show the central problem in the question - what even is meant with "Prussia". The realm centred around Brandenburg which merely took its name from the actual Prussia? Or the actual Prussia?

Heh. That does indeed show the central problem in the question - what even is meant with "Prussia". The realm centred around Brandenburg which merely took its name from the actual Prussia? Or the actual Prussia?

What Prussia and Brandenburg held before the Thirty Years’ War.

Iirc it belonged to the crown of Bohemia until 1417, when an impecunious Emperor leased it to the Hohenzollerns. It was never redeemed.

If that deal isn't made, then butterflies permitting it passes to the Habsburgs with the rest of the Bohemian lands. They might go on to acquire Pomerania, and after that who knows?

Does this allow the Habsburgs to gain more control over the HRE and ensure future successes?

Does this allow the Habsburgs to gain more control over the HRE and ensure future successes?

It really depends on your PoD and general situation, but I'll offer this - controlling both Bohemia and Brandenburg gives the Habsburgs two guaranteed votes among the electors. That counts for something

It really depends on your PoD and general situation, but I'll offer this - controlling both Bohemia and Brandenburg gives the Habsburgs two guaranteed votes among the electors. That counts for something

That also means that Austria doesn't have to deal with an enemy at its border. Does this allow Austria to conquer better?

That doesn't seem to be how it works. You couldn't amass electoral votes - or at least, going by the example of when Bavaria (eighth electoral vote after the 30YW) and the Palatinate where united under the same ruler: He still had just one vote. The ceremonial 'office' connected with Bavaria's vote went to Hannover (ninth electoral vote, with an own ceremonial office, but it being even younger it was less prestigeous).

That doesn't seem to be how it works. You couldn't amass electoral votes - or at least, going by the example of when Bavaria (eighth electoral vote after the 30YW) and the Palatinate where united under the same ruler: He still had just one vote. The ceremonial 'office' connected with Bavaria's vote went to Hannover (ninth electoral vote, with an own ceremonial office, but it being even younger it was less prestigeous).

In this it didn’t stipulate that the ruler of Austria/Bohemia also ruled Brandenburg, just that a Habsburg did - so I assumed he meant a separate individual

That also means that Austria doesn't have to deal with an enemy at its border. Does this allow Austria to conquer better?

They still have to deal with their two main enemies, the Turks and French, though mitigating problems inside the empire by sheer dominance will definitely help

That was because both Bavaria and the Palatinate had the "Palatine Electorate" so when they merged the division became redundant.

If amassed votes don't count then the Habsburg Emperor can simply grant Bradenburg to his heir, Charles IV style so he can get 2 votes.