AHC/WI: Greater Asian colonial migration into Africa.

So usually discussions on here around immigration and Africa, the discussion revolves around Europeans migrating into Africa in larger numbers. However less talked about is the movement of Asians into Africa during the colonial period. The point of this thread is to discuss how more of this immigration could have happened, and it's effects. In our world the most movement happened from British India. Examples of these were:

Kenya: Indians largely arrived to East Africa as contractors on the Ugandan Railway, and many chose to remain. In 1963 they numbered 180,000, or around 2% of the country.
Uganda: Arriving for the same reasons as in Kenya, by 1972 they numbered 80,000 and even today they from 1% of the country and 65% of the national tax base, demonstrating the power these communities can have.

So could these movements be more widespread? Could they form majorities or pluralities in some provinces, cities or even countries? Bonus points if these movements are from within the French Empire, e.g Lebanese and Vietnamese into Djibouti, Ivory Coast etc, or within the German empire e.g Samoans or Chinese into Namibia and Tanzania, or Goans and Timor Lesteans into Angola and Mozambique for the Portuguese. Also bonus points if the movement within the british empire is not from india, but instead from the middle east, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

All thoughts and comments appreciated!

You could have the British reward there Indian world war 1 veterans with land in Africa .
Well with 1,000,000 Indians serving during ww1, and 2,000,000 serving during world war 2, if even 20% of vetereans gained land, we're looking at 1,000,000 Indians and their descendants by 1960. Doing some quick calculations, we're looking at 200,000 Indians by 1920, and 400,000 after 1950, for a total of around 400,000 Indians by 1960, and 600,000 mixed raced descendants if they marry locals. If they don't and they marry Indian women, we're still looking at around 700,000 Indians by 1960, and 600,000 descendants in British Africa by 2020. Very rough maths btw.

One idea I have in mind is a violent communist takeover of India at some point in the early twentieth century, either as the result of Soviet meddling or (somehow) direct invasion or as a homegrown movement, leading to huge numbers of upper-caste Indians and other well-to-do South Asians to flee the subcontinent. However, the British dominions and the United States, with their racist immigration policies (especially Australia), are hesitant to admit more than a handful of refugees, meaning that nearby eastern and southern Africa are among the best available options. These refugees quickly outnumber white settlers and eventually obtain become the political elite in these areas, aside from perhaps Rhodesia and South Africa.

Actually works quite well and could easily lead to all the major cities of east africa being majority indian. However Zimbabwe and Zambia had very low population densities in those days, so they could probably become majority indian if they allowed in these refugees, which Zambia probably would.

The British go full Roman and promise every Indian who joins the British Military a tract of land in East Africa. The British also opt to open up Africa to immigration generally.

Flash forward and now there are millions of Indian in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, and Malawi.

Fiji?

These inside/outsider populations tend to end up in commercial positions and draw huge resentment from the local populations. Look at the Chinese diaspora pretty much everywhere in Asia. You might see a "Singapore", you might see a slaughter too.

OTL's planned Japanese-Ethiopian marriage goes through and results in an influx of excess Japanese population settling somewhere in central and/or southern Ethiopia.

I don't see offering EVERY Indian soldier land, since why would not every British or Canadian or ANZAC soldier get land?

But maybe the colonial government of India buys up some land and says anyone who signs up for the duration in 1914 can get some? But then what about those already in those divisions?

Hmmm

I don't see offering EVERY Indian soldier land, since why would not every British or Canadian or ANZAC soldier get land?
Climate is more similar to India than Europe and Canada is far better location to offer land. I’m not sure how will Indian Agriculture would do in Africa .

Last edited:
OTL's planned Japanese-Ethiopian marriage goes through and results in an influx of excess Japanese population settling somewhere in central and/or southern Ethiopia.
Interesting. doing some quick maths, if around 1 million Japanese moved there around 1900, they'd be 6% of the population, and by 2020 they could form around 20% including Asians and their mixed raced descendants.

But maybe the colonial government of India buys up some land and says anyone who signs up for the duration in 1914 can get some? But then what about those already in those divisions?

Hmmm
Well potentially there could be a world where Kenya remains an elitist white colony while Uganda is opened to settlement of 50 acres in exchange for service in the war. By 2020 a plurality of people could be mixed Afro-Asians in Uganda if it worked.

where Kenya remains an elitist white colony .
I don’t why Indian settlement outside of the white highlands would be an issue. Given the small white population of the area, the highlands themselves could be opened to to some kind of Indian tenet farming.
By 2020 a plurality of people could be mixed Afro-Asians in Uganda if it worked.
I doubt there would be much mix marriages given the religious differences and racism.

I don’t why Indian settlement outside of the white highlands would be an issue. Given the small white population of the area, the highlands themselves could be opened to to some kind of Indian tenet farming.

I doubt there would be much mix marriages given the religious differences and racism.
Yeah, actually most likely the communities would remain separate. However, in Katangna we did see several thousand mixed Japanese and African babies, showing that if single men land somewhere and have no other way of getting a bride, intermarriage will occur. However I do recognise the differences between Indian and Japanese culture and religion which would make me agree with you mostly tbh.

Yeah, actually most likely the communities would remain separate. However, in Katangna we did see several thousand mixed Japanese and African babies, showing that if single men land somewhere and have no other way of getting a bride, intermarriage will occur. However I do recognise the differences between Indian and Japanese culture and religion which would make me agree with you mostly tbh.
I suspect that if the Japanese had brought their wives with them we would have seen fewer mixed children.

Out of interest, which individual royalty in Ethiopia and Japan were considered for the OTL planned marriage?

Well according to a book I have from 1938 the numbers were percentage wise much larger during that time compared to the overall population in Tanganyika, so basically get mroe indian workers to work on the farms and plantations there and get them to merge/ mix or otherwise stay or attract more Indians before/ during/ after WW2 to have such a outcome today, or have Indian workers and their famileis come in later during the COld War as guest workers (but for a bigger change make them mroe like Turkish guest workers in Germany who stayed and lived there in growing numebrs from there own forming a remaining quit large Turkish Community there)?

(but for a bigger change make them mroe like Turkish guest workers in Germany who stayed and lived there in growing numbers from there own forming a remaining quit large Turkish Community there)?
I think this is especially likely given the nature of colonial rule. Asian migrants provide a firm tax base and a middle class for the colonies. In a world where decolonisation is delayed by perhaps 10 years, Kenya for example would gain independence in 1973 not 1963. In 1963 Indians numbered 180,000 in Kenya, up from 95,000 in 1948, meaning in 1973 they could have been 400,000 if the economic oppurtunities were there. This would make them around 3% of the country, although probably forming a slim majority in Nairobi and Mombassa. The main reason that would work is because the colonial government has no real reason to limit immigration from India as long as they don't cause trouble.

during the COld War as guest workers (but for a bigger change make them mroe like Turkish guest workers in Germany who stayed and lived there in growing numebrs from there own forming a remaining quit large Turkish Community there)?
Unlike Germany Tanzania doesn't need the labor so no need for guest worker