The Premise
What would be the consequence IF everything that can go wrong GOES wrong for the Germans and their allies in Operation Barbarossa and after? What if they CANNOT even reach cities like Vilnius, Minsk or Khmelnytskyi ?

Best way to get them having that bad luck is that you with some way delay Barbarossa and get Stalin take German threat more seriously and preparing Barbarossa more. Perhaps even better if he doesn't launch Winter War.

That would make WW2 pretty differently and probably bit shorter.

One possibility is that Hitler sets the start date and refuses to change it. The attack is launched into the rasputitsa on time and bogs down very quickly.

The confusion, lack of progress, wear on people,animals and equipment demoralises the troops, prevents meaningful progress and makes encirclements impossible [1].

With several weeks' warning, by 22 June, the majority of the red army is better prepared than OTL [2] and facing a worn out wehrmacht. By the onset of winter, the Germans are still besieging Smolensk, and are only able to threaten Leningrad from the West, and so 1942 starts from a worse position against a more numerous and stronger soviet force.

[1] Without the encirclements, there could be many hundreds of thousands and possibly more than a million more trained soviet troops available in 1942.

[2] Maybe not much better equipped, but any improvement helps.

I wonder how it would go if they didn't try the encirclement at Kiev, but Hitler listened to Guderian et al and gambled on the advance to Moscow. I think there's a good chance that due to failing logistics, exhaustion of troops and infantry failing to catch up in time it halts at around the same place as OTL. Only with the remaining Soviets at Kiev, they take the opportunity to cut of the salient, and you get a Stalingrad-type surrender one year early. This should shorten the war with at least a year, maybe two.

I wonder how it would go if they didn't try the encirclement at Kiev, but Hitler listened to Guderian et al and gambled on the advance to Moscow. I think there's a good chance that due to failing logistics, exhaustion of troops and infantry failing to catch up in time it halts at around the same place as OTL. Only with the remaining Soviets at Kiev, they take the opportunity to cut of the salient, and you get a Stalingrad-type surrender one year early. This should shorten the war with at least a year, maybe two.
That would be an interesting timeline.

We'd have the generals writing books like "I told him no", "Hitler made me do it", "Moscow: Hitler's biggest mistake?" and "It's not my fault".

Best way to get them having that bad luck is that you with some way delay Barbarossa and get Stalin take German threat more seriously and preparing Barbarossa more. Perhaps even better if he doesn't launch Winter War.

That would make WW2 pretty differently and probably bit shorter.
Just thinking if conventional AH wisdom has it that a neutral Italy scenario would have allowed the Axis to focus more on the Eastern Front, would the absence of the Winter and Continuation Wars have in turn strengthened the Soviets along roughly similar lines?

Just thinking if conventional AH wisdom has it that a neutral Italy scenario would have allowed the Axis to focus more on the Eastern Front, would the absence of the Winter and Continuation Wars have in turn strengthened the Soviets along roughly similar lines?

Probably. At least Soviets would have one frontier lesser to worry.