We all know about the Pokémon franchise. Its one of the world's most largest media franchises, with lots of video games, a successful anime, movies and merchandise. Pikachu is also one of the best-known species of Pokémon and has been gone on to become a major character of the Pokémon franchise as well as its mascot. Pikachu has also gone on to become a Japanese pop culture icon, as well as one of the major mascots for Nintendo. However, Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot of the Pokémon franchise, but Pikachu was used due to the popularity of the anime and Pikachu's familiarity with fans.

So, what if Clefairy was the mascot of the Pokémon franchise? How would that happen without ASB? Would've there been less Pikachu clones than IOTL?

Pokemon gets perceived as a being “for girls” with Clefairy as the face of the franchise. Probably more dolls and less collectible cards as far as merchandising goes.

Part of me wonders if Clefairy would be seen as a Kirby ripoff. I'm not sure it'd be as iconic, but I never read that one manga where it was the main character, so who knows.

We all know about the Pokémon franchise. Its one of the world's most largest media franchises, with lots of video games, a successful anime, movies and merchandise. Pikachu is also one of the best-known species of Pokémon and has been gone on to become a major character of the Pokémon franchise as well as its mascot. Pikachu has also gone on to become a Japanese pop culture icon, as well as one of the major mascots for Nintendo. However, Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot of the Pokémon franchise, but Pikachu was used due to the popularity of the anime and Pikachu's familiarity with fans.

So, what if Clefairy was the mascot of the Pokémon franchise? How would that happen without ASB? Would've there been less Pikachu clones than IOTL?
Part of me wonders if Clefairy would be seen as a Kirby ripoff. I'm not sure it'd be as iconic, but I never read that one manga where it was the main character, so who knows.
Mascots doesn't exist in a vacuum, Pikachu become the mascot in japan as girls loved the yellow mouse( something lampshade in the anime even) there ,but in the west, Charizard,Blastoise and Alakazam were the unofficial mascots as the popular they were in USA during their debut( no anime and Pikachu would have been a Japan only mascot with Charizard being the one in the west).

Cleafary is a unique choice as wasn't that useful till they become fairy type,plus the writer wanted to push the alien angle maybe too much

No Pokemania which means we see much slower expansion of the franchise and developments looking more like generation 1/spaceworld/generation 2 and evolution from there. My guess is more effort in content since they can't get away with just marketing/using the anime and toys for money.

My guess is we'd see a progression of versions red/green -> pink/yellow(essentially spaceworld) -> gold/silver(our gold/silver/crystal, but a bit more upgraded(suggestion would be to look at various gen 2 romhacks to see possible additions. The obvious addition would be getting to visit the rest of nihon after you're done with johto/kanto) for the GB/GBC versions' evolutionary path. Biggest difference is no japanese blue or OTL yellow version: the following pokemon feature is probably implemented in this world's pink/yellow version for the starters. Things probably get more divergent. Since I doubt they'd want to do, like 3 sets of games on a console you probably see a consolidation of red/green and yellow/pink remakes into one game: starting off in kanto, then visiting the rest of nihon+sevii islands in the postgame for the remake. Hoenn/OTL gen 3 is probably mostly recognizable with the caveat that you'd see Sunponit City from the spaceworld beta as an extra city in Hoenn ofc.