AHC/WI: Captain Planet is successful critically and commercially

Good points all , esp LHB, MP, and MikeStearns.

I like the mistaken-villain idea as well as the kids being more than helpers to the invincible hero.

As to JMS scripting animated shows, I want him to be crafting the B5 bible and various arcs, not doing Captain Planet eps but YMMDV.

And wasn't Wheeler the American kid always depicted as being a hotheaded moron?
Yes, and that was more a general problem of cartoons at the time though.

Somebody always had to be wrong and going against the group was bad.

Yes, and that was more a general problem of cartoons at the time though.

Somebody always had to be wrong and going against the group was bad.

Everyone could take turns going against the group though--I think Linka bugged off on her own to investigate some problem in her hometown in ex-Commie-land in one episode.

However, based on my perusal of the episode list and the TVTropes page, it was always him.

John Farson

Banned
Everyone could take turns going against the group though--I think Linka bugged off on her own to investigate some problem in her hometown in ex-Commie-land in one episode.

However, based on my perusal of the episode list and the TVTropes page, it was always him.

Indeed. When I watched the show as a kid (yes, guilty as charged), Wheeler was my favorite character. I identified with him the most, and considered the others to be assholes.

More subtlety and less stupidity would be a good way to go. Maybe instead of the ludicrous Eco-Villains, they fight mutant monsters spawned by pollution or use their powers to counteract disasters caused by pollution.
And make the villains believable, an Arab oil tycoon, an American pharmaceutical Chairman, a Russian industrial magnate, a French nuclear scientist, a Chinese 'traditional medicine' dealer etc.