AHC: Warlord Period becomes De Jure as well as De Facto

The Warlord Period of China was a period of instability where though the central government in Beijing had limited control over the other parts of the country which were often at war with each other. However, there was limited international recognition of the other states even though some had declared independence and some were supported by foreign powers. The only two that I can think of that actually got recognised were Tibet and Mongolia.

So with a POD after 1911 and the Xinhai revolution how can you change this so that for example at the Paris Peace Conferences there is no "China delegation" there is instead 10 or 20 individual states sending their own delegations? What has to occur for this to be the case?

Could the 5 Provinces who refused to vote in the election 1918 gain international recognition somehow?

Later on in 1926/1927 there was a government in Wuhan, in Nanjing and in Beijing. If the borders stabilized for a while could they get international recognition somehow?

Last edited:
This is hard to achieve because all warlords justified their own actions in terms of twisted nationalism, so outright declaring independence is a difficult scenario to achieve. I suppose, it might be able to happen if the federalist movement becomes stronger or if Yuan Shikai's empire lasts longer but then falls apart, but it's hard to think of a good scenario.

Last edited:

Orangecar

Banned
Yeah, a more federal China that later breaks apart would probably result in the de facto recognition of a number of states. However I suspect that the larger Chinese state would gain de facto recoginitikn and eventually reabsorve the rest of China. Though I do find the idea of an independent Southern China to be interesting

They were doing so in the name of a rival government for China (the Constitutional Protection Movement), so there's that.
Yeah the Constitutional Protection Movement was ostensibly motivated by nationalism as well. The warlords who followed it wanted to be free of a strong central government, but we don't have any evidence that they considered de jure declaring independence. Perhaps if Duan Qirui is victorious in the Zhili-Anhui War but Sun Yat-sen's government still disintegrates, then Sichuan, Guizhou, Yunnan, Hunan, Guangxi, and Guangdong would declare independence, but I'm not sure how much foreigners would actually care about this. But this would be in 1920, so after the Paris conference.