AHC: Wank The Dutch

Nephi

Banned
As asb as it sounds is it possible they could conquer the British islands, that seems like doing such would open the door to them becoming the IT power of Europe.

And will have some interesting effects on the English language.

As asb as it sounds is it possible they could conquer the British islands, that seems like doing such would open the door to them becoming the IT power of Europe.

glorious revolution william and mary child time

it is what they did otl - the glorious revolution was pretty much a successful invasion

it was early on if i remember correctly, he was still trying dynastic methods for alliances.
And realpolitik wise it makes a lot of sense.
True, still surprising to see, as while I am aware there were a bunch of Protestant/Orthodox dynastic weddings both ways, I don't think I ever heard of a Catholic/Protestant one.
my thought was more that the local ruler becomes equivalent to stadhouder in the other provinces (there wasn't just a national stadhouder, most provinces had their own stadhouder too).
so they would get a vote in electing/appointing the national stadhouder.
The only official national Stadhouders were Willem IV & V after 1747, their predecessors simply wore the multiple hats of Stadhouder van Holland & Zeeland, Utrecht, Overijssel and Gelderland at once. You would have to create one from the start for this to work, at which point whoever does it is likely strong enough to get away with calling himself a king anyway.

@Xavier @wietze: if the girl was a daughter of Louis XIV (and NOT a niece) she would NOT be a French princess, but a daughter who he had from either La Valliere or Montespan
In theory it could be Marie Thérèse de France, aka Madame Royale. 17 years younger than Willem and died in 1672 when 5 years old, but Willem didn't marry Mary until 1677.

As already mentioned, they kind of did that in OTL, the personal union just didn't last due to a lack of heirs. More troublingly from the Dutch POV is that any sensible ruler would take London as his seat of power and treat the Netherlands as a bonus, just like Willem III did OTL. So this would do nothing to keep the Dutch more powerfull, on the contrary, as long as it lasts this makes England more powerfull.

True, still surprising to see, as while I am aware there were a bunch of Protestant/Orthodox dynastic weddings both ways, I don't think I ever heard of a Catholic/Protestant one.
Charles I of England married Henriette Marie of France. His son Charles II likewise married Catherine of Braganza.

You do realize that multiple things can go wrong right?
The Dutch were more than capable of defeating the English on the high seas until they had to divert more of their resources to their land defenses. England is not the key variable here.

The alliance with France was a huge part of the success of the Dutch, because it meant that they could concentrate on their navy. The breakdown of that alliance was a geo-strategic disaster for them. France in this era had 10 times the population of the Netherlands and wanted to expand to the northeast. There is basically no way you can wank the Dutch if they are enemies with France.

Last edited:
The Dutch were more than capable of defeating the English on the high seas until they had to divert more of their resources to their land defenses. England is not the key variable here.

The alliance with France was a huge part of the success of the Dutch, because it meant that they could concentrate on their navy. The breakdown of that alliance was a geo-strategic disaster for them. France in this era had 10 times the population of the Netherlands and wanted to expand to the northeast. There is basically no way you can wank the Dutch if they are enemies with France.
Ah yes, their enmity with a more populous, and richer power who cannot be invaded by land and has the same overall ambitions definitely isn't a key variable.

The "a" is important because there are multiple key variables, France and England/Britain are both key variables

If it‘s just a question about the Dutch language doing better, just let the Hohenzollern successful convert their domain to Calvinism instead of the Estates forcing them to accept Lutheranism staying the state religion of Brandenburg, Prussia and later Pomerania. If they had been converted they would adopted the Dutch Bible and these three states would have ended up Dutch speaking.

Charles I and Charles II of England both married Catholic princesses (and some Protestant princesses were married in the Habsburgs (mostly, but NOT all, converting to Catholicism): Charles VI’s wife was born Protestant, three generations later you have the first wife of Francis II (Elisabeth Wilhelmina of Württemberg), the wife of his brother Charles of Teschen (who do NOT converted) and none of the three wives of his brother Joseph was born Catholic (first was Orthodox, other two protestants with the first two NOT converting)
In theory it could be Marie Thérèse de France, aka Madame Royale. 17 years younger than Willem and died in 1672 when 5 years old, but Willem didn't marry Mary until 1677.
No way, Marie Therese, if she lived, would be destined to a far better match (likely Spain or Austria)

Osman Aga

Banned
i know this is a bit of a late reply.
the VOC even more successful, that is going to be big (btw the VOC operates only in africa & the east), i saw a estimate from about 8 yrs ago, where the VOC was estimated at a value of comparable to 20 trillion us$ (and that is not counting the sheer military power it had).
On slavetrade, if i recall correctly the slavetrade only accounted for 10% of the income of the WIC, 70% was trade in gems and precious metals, 20% diverse. so you could think that moving away from the slavetrade might actually be more profitable.

That 10% Would increase if the Dutch controlled all of Portuguese Brazil, for a longer period. If that were the case that means the Dutch are likely to be a stronger power and in time, secure the Asiento from the Spanish again.

But then again, the Sugar and Coffee production from Brazil would relatively speaking overcome the Slave revenue.

This richer Netherlands, would they shove more money in science stuff? If so would some off the bright minds in and outside Europe decide to move to the Netherlands in the hope to make a name for themselves in their field?

If it‘s just a question about the Dutch language doing better, just let the Hohenzollern successful convert their domain to Calvinism instead of the Estates forcing them to accept Lutheranism staying the state religion of Brandenburg, Prussia and later Pomerania. If they had been converted they would adopted the Dutch Bible and these three states would have ended up Dutch speaking.

Did the other Calvinist states of Germany use a Dutch-language Bible? IIRC, Berlin/Brandenburg area was a High German island so it seems to me that any compromise that leads to acceptance of Calvinism in Brandenburg will also involve using a German language Bible to make it accessible to most of the population.

Did the other Calvinist states of Germany use a Dutch-language Bible? IIRC, Berlin/Brandenburg area was a High German island so it seems to me that any compromise that leads to acceptance of Calvinism in Brandenburg will also involve using a German language Bible to make it accessible to most of the population.

I think all the other Low German one did.