AHC: USSR with top-tier GDP per capita and low Gini coefficient

I got you one upped.. say china emerges .. soviets take the backseat to the massive Chinese populations screeming for revolutions.. support for Vietnam.. korea .. America looses both.. China cuddles up to soviet union... America concerned.. Nixon goes to Moscow .. and well the soviet union gets the USA blessing .. state controlled capitalism thrives .. everyone makes money .. well at least the oligarchs involved.. the rest.. well.. at least they are not bread lines in Moscow and stuff

I like the idea but I dont think it fulfill's the OP.

Also, would there be a medical POD for keeping Lenin alive longer? Stalin lived until he was 74, and if Lenin lived just as long, you could have him stick around until 1945 to continue implementing his New Economic Policy.

Not getting shot by that Anarchist-whose-name-escapes-me would be medically beneficial.

Not getting shot by that Anarchist-whose-name-escapes-me would be medically beneficial.

I've read that Lenin was turning against the NEP himself, so if he'd lived longer (and been in good health too) he was very likely to have rolled up the NEP himself around the same time that Stalin rolled it up.

Really the best chance for the Soviet Union to get a long-lasting NEP-style economic reform is if Kosygin had beaten Brezhnev in their power struggle in the 60s.

"Kosygin wins" is probably my favorite PoD for the Soviet Union as we know it avoiding its collapse and continuing to be a major player in the world, and it would certainly have a good chance of fulfilling the OP's challenge.

Also, any PoD that results in the Soviet Union avoiding OTL's collapse in the 80s has the potential of fulfilling the challenge, though the later the PoD is, the harder it becomes for the Soviets to reach "top-tier GDP".

fasquardon

I've read that Lenin was turning against the NEP himself, so if he'd lived longer (and been in good health too) he was very likely to have rolled up the NEP himself around the same time that Stalin rolled it up.

Really the best chance for the Soviet Union to get a long-lasting NEP-style economic reform is if Kosygin had beaten Brezhnev in their power struggle in the 60s.

"Kosygin wins" is probably my favorite PoD for the Soviet Union as we know it avoiding its collapse and continuing to be a major player in the world, and it would certainly have a good chance of fulfilling the OP's challenge.

Also, any PoD that results in the Soviet Union avoiding OTL's collapse in the 80s has the potential of fulfilling the challenge, though the later the PoD is, the harder it becomes for the Soviets to reach "top-tier GDP".

fasquardon

According to Ligachev, Kosygin didnt want the top spot. As to your last comment, by the 1980s they were too far behind to meet the OP.

Sabot Cat

Banned

fasquardon

What were Kosygin's plans? Are there resources for knowing?