AHC: Third World Western Europe

Perhaps some apocalyptic war of anhiliation. Like say through some convoluted series of events Germany doesnt develop anti Slavic sentiments but rather anti latin sentiments. And some leader comes with some analogue for Generalplan ost but for latins instead of slavs.

Thomas1195

Banned
I think then the only result is a somewhat more Norse/Germanic, but just as wealthy Europe. Trade routes will continue to build wealth. Exploration will lead to a more advanced society. They will at some point be able to loot the new world in all probablity, which means they'll get access to Potatoes and Maize which will explode their population.

And if they're writing their history in runes rather than the latin alphabet, does it matter?

While 'Guns,Germs,Steel and Geography' can be overstated, Europe's fundementals of navicable rivers, nearness to resources, yet enough mountains and seas to make political unity difficult, makes Europe formidible.

Keep feudalism and make the lords short sighted might work, but it's hard to see.
The problem is that in my TL, ruralization and feudalization would have made OTL pale in comparison, since urban centres would have suffered much greater destruction and collapse ITTL. Many technology and knowledge that was preserved by the Church quite effectively IOTL would have been truly lost/destroyed.

Seeing as Western Europe is largely developed and rich OTL, a far cry from it’s Eastern counterpart, what steps could be realistically taken with a POD of no earlier than 1792 to make it more poorer and less developed than OTL? It doesn’t have to be the entire region, but obviously more countries the merrier (for the sake of this challenge; I do not wish economic retardation on Western Europeans)View attachment 591101
Map of Western Europe

My personal definitions of Third World for this challenge. This is only what my interpretation of what “Third World” can mean.
Two out of three of these parameters should work.
  • GDP per capita (nominal) lower than $15,000
  • HDI lower than 0.800
  • Corruption index lower than 50
Bonus points if it’s Switzerland, the Benelux or Scandinavia.

Disclaimer: In this case, the meaning of “Third World” is contextually used in regards to a country’s stage of economic development, not it’s Cold War bloc alignment. I had initially pondered on using “developing” instead of Third World, but the latter felt like a better description. I am aware that the term is a bit broad in it’s description, since it is also used as describing extremely underdeveloped failed states like Syria and Afghanistan, but in this situation ”Third World” can be countries like Mexico, which is economically poor but still a functional state not mired in civil war.
Soaybe maybe Carlists victory in Spain leads to a isolated Feudal Spain with little progression.