AHC: The 27 Club Test - If They Died at 27

Syd Barrett at 27 - 1973 - Basically released all of his material by then, though probably would be more tragic

Last edited:
If Billy Joel passed away in 1978 he would have died without ever having a number one single, and his last album would be 52nd Street. Some of his best songs get cut out of his career and I think he’s definitely considered more poppy and less singer songwriter than he’s considered now .
My Life would be his last major hit (Reaching 3 on billboard 100) The Songs from his first album never become widely available because he never releases his live album, Songs In the Attic. He never performs in the Soviet Union, he never marries Christie Brinkley

some notable songs that never get released:
- You May Be Right
- It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me
- Don’t Ask Me Why
- She’s Got a Way (live)
- Say Goodbye Hollywood (live)
- Allentown
- Goodnight Saigon
- An Innocent Man
- The Longest Time
- Tell Her About It
- Uptown Girl
- Leave a Tender Moment Alone
- A Matter of Trust
- Baby Grand
- We Didn’t Start the Fire
- Downeaster Alexa
- I Go To Extremes
- Leningrad
- And So It Goes
- The River of Dreams

Digging this one up to add a few more from the Trainwreckords pile.

• Mike Love of the Beach Boys (Dies in late 1997, a month after the release of Friends)
  • Todd "Speech" Thomas (Dies in early 1996, a year after the release of Zingalamaduni)
  • Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band (Dies in September 1975, a month after the release of Win, Lose or Draw)
  • Cher (Dies in early 1974, after the release of Half-Breed)

• Taylor Swift (2017) - Reputation is released posthumously but written off for turning towards trap pop. Critics that have looked down on her probably re-evaluate (how Pitchfork rated her entire ouvre ahead of Lover, for example) and recognize how good her writing actually is.
  • Brendon Urie (2014/15) - Given that Brendon is/was Panic! and this is before his comeback/sell out it probably doesn't matter much outside of emo nostalgic circles.
  • Drake (2013/14) - Take Care and Nothing was the Same age like fine wine without being rehashed every year on auto pilot.
  • Kesha (2014/15) - Dies in controversy as her lawsuits against Dr. Luke and Kemosabe are dead on arrival, her estate probably has to fight for years to release her left over tracks.
Had Britney Spears died at 27, I think her legacy would be a bit better today. Of course, there'd still be her breakdown but she was starting to dominant again with Blackout and Circus. I think she would be a global icon and a pop legend you can't speak bad about- maybe higher than Madonna

Honestly if she had somehow avoided the 5150 hold and conservatorship it easily could have happened, though I don't know if she would have made it to 27.

Last edited:
  • Elvis Presley (1935 - 1962): I think his legacy was pretty much secure by the time he "died" since his final album would be Pot Luck (or whatever Frankenstein album the Colonel scrounges up from unreleased music). He would be held in MUCH higher regard than he is today, pretty much he would be known as the guy who kickstarted rock 'n' roll, went to the army, came back, did some films and later died.
  • John Lennon (1940 - 1967): In my canon here, he would likely die by falling off the roof of Abbey Road Studios while he was tripping during the recording of Getting Better. The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as their final album (or even if they release it at all) but in anyway, The Beatles are done by late 67'. They'd likely have a great legacy with Sgt. Pepper's as their final album, which can lead some reunions of the trio as the tensions weren't big back then.
  • Bob Dylan (1941-1968): I can't really think of a way for Dylan to die around this time, but if he did and John Wesley Harding is his final album, he would've achieved mythical status in music history. As a great, young musician who was just beginning to mature (not as a songwriter since he was mature since he began, but as a family man) and was taken from us from god knows what.
  • Brian Wilson (1942-1969): This would be heartbreaking for us Beach Boys fans, since this was a time where he was struggling with mental illness and the Beach Boys were pretty much in obscurity and just like that, he's taken from us (likely from suicide). Like Bob Dylan, he would have mythical status in music history, even more, being put up with people like Beethoven, Mozart, Choplin, etc. As one of the great composers of our century.
  • Freddie Mercury (1946 - 1973): He would've died before Queen ever got a hit single, they would likely split up after their self-titled debut (and their only album in TTL is released). Queen would be known as a great underground British band that could've been so much more.

• Carlos Paiao (1957 - 1985 ): I think in alternate universe Paiao will died the same way like he did in 1988 on road accident and his legacy will be lot of different at this point,and then is going be Carlos musican arena in his memory and he will become first portuguese to join in 27 club
  • Angelicio Vieira (1982 - 2010): In alternate universe here, he would still die by falling off the coma while he was tripping too much speed and been hit off by a car. the legacy will be more good memoires of DZRT concept in Lisbon,the last music will be the remix of verao azul with feating of rita guerra and marisa luz
  • Drake Bell (1986- 2012) : well in my alternate universe Drake will probaly died in car accident and terrific will be last song from him,josh peck will be lot of grief over his friend and his ex girlfriend stevie ryan will be depressed and devasted,drake and josh fans will be in mind of crying and disbelief over his death,josh peck have making an memory over his death one year later by signing I Found a way from his legacy
  • Ice Cube (1969-1997 ): two years after Eazy e death,NWA lost another group member,in my AU here Ice Cube will have similar fate as 2pac by been shooting out by thugs,put up an coma and died like six days later,i think his legacy could been so good and NWA will have a memorial from eazy E And Ice Cube
  • Donald Glover (1983-2011) i think his death in alternate universe could be accidental shooting or maybe having an heart attack,the actor will died without going get an role of spiderman or doing an music tracks,everyone will upset about his death and this could be different if he did taking on pills and go to ER

I'm back with more Trainwreckords entires.

• Liz Phair (Dies in April 1994 on her 27th birthday, having just finished recording her second album, Whip-Smart. The album ends up being postponed until 1995)
  • James Hetfield of Metallica (Dies in September 1990, during the recording of a self-titled album. The album never came to fruition, with only four demos being released. Those demos were Wherever I May Roam, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman.)
  • Philip Oakey of The Human League (Dies in October 1982, a year after the release of Dare.)
  • Drake Bell (1986- 2012) : well in my alternate universe Drake will probaly died in car accident and terrific will be last song from him,josh peck will be lot of grief over his friend and his ex girlfriend stevie ryan will be depressed and devasted,drake and josh fans will be in mind of crying and disbelief over his death,josh peck have making an memory over his death one year later by signing I Found a way from his legacy.

Damn, that'd make the Fairly Odd Parents movie hard to watch if he died a year after.

David Bowie (1947 - 1974) He would become the icon of Glam Rock and probably butterflies Robert Fripp’s 80s’ version of King Crimson. Plus Hot Space would become a total flop for Queen

Michael Jackson (1958-1985): If Jackson dies in 1985 (maybe as a result of a painkiller overdose), he probably is on the Mount Rushmore of people who died at the peak of their careers (move over, Buddy Holly) and could have done more. His reputation will not have been affected by the child abuse allegations, but we lose Bad. Thriller's singles are re-released and "Wanna Be Starting Something", "Human Nature" and "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" go to #1 with a bullet; "We Are The World" is also re-released and also hits #1...

Simon Le Bon (1958-1985) -- He becomes an icon of the '80s comparable to Kurt Cobain in the '90s, immortalized as a "voice of a generation", and perhaps the New Wave icon. Also, because Duran Duran's only material would be the trilogy of their self-titled album, Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger, their final single was A View to a Kill, and their last performance was at Live Aid, they would be viewed as an absolute classic. In other words, people would only ever see the best of Duran Duran and the band would end on a tragic note, as his death would bring great sadness to fans worldwide.

Funnily enough, this was almost the case, as he had a near-fatal sailing accident in August 1985 which would've been just a few months short of his 27th birthday.

• Donald Glover (1983-2011) i think his death in alternate universe could be accidental shooting or maybe having an heart attack,the actor will died without going get an role of spiderman or doing an music tracks,everyone will upset about his death and this could be different if he did taking on pills and go to ER
If Glover died in 2011, it would also heavily affect Community. He'd have died around the end of Season 2 and start of Season 3. Depending on when he dies, we don't get arguably the greatest Community episode, Remedial Chaos Theory. He would definitely be seen as an up-and-coming actor, musician, and comedian (he did a stand-up routine in 2010 on Comedy Central) taken away far too soon.

I've done one for Daft Punk

Guy-Man: Falls down a flight of stairs in June 2001, days after Digital Love is released as a single. The release of several other singles are brought forwards and Interstella 5555 is never released.
Thomas: Hit by a taxi near their studio in late December 2002, just shy of his 28th birthday. Interstella 5555 is released in his honor.

Either way, we definitely don't get Human After All, Electroma, Alive 2007, the Tron soundtrack, Random Access Memories or their work with The Weeknd. The remaining member would probably just stick to solo works afterwards and the electronic scene is left missing something. An upside is, this probably makes acts like Justice better known to the general public.

marktaha

Banned
Frank Sinatra (accident entertaining troops in Europe)
Bing Crosby ( drunk driving accident)
Al Jolson
Vera Lynn (accident

Robert Plant could very well have become a member of the "27 Club" when he was involved in a potentially fatal car accident while vacationing with his family in Greece in 1975. Would Led Zeppelin's demise have occurred 5 years earlier than OTL (in the aftermath of the death of the band's drummer John Bonham) had the accident taken Plant's life, or would the surviving members of the band carry on and seek out a replacement lead singer? Somehow I am inclined to believe the former scenario taking place.

• Prince - He dies of a drug overdose in 1985, with Prince and the Revolution: Live being the last movie he appears in (technically a documentary)
  • Frank Sinatra - He dies in 1942 (don't know how), we lose classics like My Way, That's Life, and Fly Me to the Moon. His version of the Rat pack doesn't exist and he'll never record any albums. His last film is Ship Ahoy being uncredited.
  • Marvin Gaye - Dies in 1966 with Ain't No Mountain High Enough being released posthumously, we lose Let's Get It on. We also lose Got to Give It Up and Sexy Ways which butterflies away the lawsuit against Blurred Lines (and maybe the entire song as well)
  • Johnny Cash - Dies in 1959, his last album would be Songs of Our Soil. We'd lose Ring of Fire, Hurt, Man in Black.
  • Bruce Springsteen - Dies in 1976, no Born in the U.S.A. Last album is Born to Run.

• Prince - He dies of a drug overdose in 1985, with Prince and the Revolution: Live being the last movie he appears in (technically a documentary)
  • Frank Sinatra - He dies in 1942 (don't know how), we lose classics like My Way, That's Life, and Fly Me to the Moon. His version of the Rat pack doesn't exist and he'll never record any albums. His last film is Ship Ahoy being uncredited.
  • Marvin Gaye - Dies in 1966 with Ain't No Mountain High Enough being released posthumously, we lose Let's Get It on. We also lose Got to Give It Up and Sexy Ways which butterflies away the lawsuit against Blurred Lines (and maybe the entire song as well)
  • Johnny Cash - Dies in 1959, his last album would be Songs of Our Soil. We'd lose Ring of Fire, Hurt, Man in Black.
  • Bruce Springsteen - Dies in 1976, no Born in the U.S.A. Last album is Born to Run.

I mean, given Sinatra's rumored mob connections, I think we can extrapolate what does him in.