AHC: That there are more TV stations in the United States

Between 1940 and 1985, there were only 3 Broadcasters in the United States (ABC, CBS, NBC), later FOX appeared.

With a POD between 1930 and 1970. Is it possible to have more Television Broadcasters? that there are between 5 and 10 television stations. And if it's plausible, what do you think they might be called? and what would be its acronym (as long as it does not exceed three letters)?

I think you mean networks not stations. There is a difference because there were independent stations.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
border%20blaster%20maps.jpg

http://www.modestoradiomuseum.org/border stations geo.html

These were "Border Blasters" Radio stations.

So, maybe something similar with TV?

marathag

Banned
Between 1940 and 1985, there were only 3 Broadcasters in the United States (ABC, CBS, NBC), later FOX appeared.

With a POD between 1930 and 1970. Is it possible to have more Television Broadcasters? that there are between 5 and 10 television stations. And if it's plausible, what do you think they might be called? and what would be its acronym (as long as it does not exceed three letters)?

DuMont Television Network 1946-1956 with 200 Stations at peak.
They got screwed over by the FCC, long story short.

If Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball had decided it was better for them to set up an independent network for the shows they produced, I could see there being a DLTV or maybe DLN, Desilu TV and Desilu Network respectively. That would have made a big change in TV I think, especially with having The Untouchables, Star Trek, and Mission Impossible all on the same network.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'

From it's inception in the late '60s or early '70s, Southwest Airlines was not regulated by the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) because it operated wholly within the state of Texas.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'

And I think Pacific Southwest Airline was the California equivalent.

gearing up for an analogy . . .

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
But . . . most radio stations only operate in one state anyway! . . . but FCC regulation may have developed for the crowded Northeast.

this could be a delaying tactic played well, or an ace to go ahead and "conform" and get the FCC license, or it could backfire big time. Business people do risky things only some of which work out.