AHC: Swap the economic/political fates of Australia and Argentina

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Rush Tarquin, May 28, 2013.

1. yofie Banned

I really wasn't meaning to be racist at all - I love people of all different colours. I was just being objective about what has actually transpired - that it's been Europeans who have been the biggest movers and shakers of the world system in the last few hundred years, and non-Europeans have been unfortunately victimized on the whole and have been undeservedly labelled as savages at worst. If you guys still aren't convinced about the superior quality of the British legal system and British political institutions in playing a role in a country's economic development, as compared to those of France, Spain, etc., take a look here.

2. Æsir Counter-Revolutionary Leftist

On the pavement thinkin' bout the government
    Haven't you read enough "developed Argentina" threads yet to understand? The Anglo-Saxon, Germanic race has the innate qualities required to run a state whereas Latins have never and will never be able to develop competent administrations. And of course, as bad as the French are, that doesn't even compare to the Spanish. Africa begins at the Pyrenees, after all. :rolleyes:

3. juanml82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, to think that if the locals hadn't beaten the crap out of the British in 1806-07 Argentina could be sharing the glorious fate of former British colonies such as Kenya, Pakistan or Myanmar...

4. Æsir Counter-Revolutionary Leftist

On the pavement thinkin' bout the government
    To be fair, Burma and Kenya have potentially bright futures ahead of them. It's just that this comes after decades of systematic problems, and decades of British colonial oppression and fuckuppery before that. :p

But Pakistan is still screwed.

5. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

How did you manage to hide this level of hyper-nationalism and racial elitism for so long?

In any case, you have allowed it to escape and foul the Board.

Banned.

We Divorce you.

To Coventry with you.

6. Nassirisimo Angry Arab

It its a bit too late, seeing as how you live in Coventry and all now, but I've noticed a few errors in that source of yours. Seriously people. Mixing up Vilayet and Millet should be a crime punishable by harsh Muslamic stoning. It is the only law that our crony societies know.

7. Coyote Knight Witch-King of the Apiary

Apparently Australia was susceptible to coups, but a better armed and more violent Aborigine population as well as a historically unheard of level of drought might be able to help push Australia over the edge so to speak.

8. TxCoatl1970 Well-Known Member

Can I ask a WI?

Would Australia's economic development have been more canted to industrialization if WW2 hadn't given them an incentive to develop as much as they could locally due to the OTL Japanese threat?

Also, WI Western Australia seceded in the 1930's?
    Couldn't that have buggered Australian economic development for couple of decades, regardless of coup attempts?

Argentina seemed to go from economically promising to silly pretty much from 1920 on, mainly b/c they had a rather prosperous agribiz sector
    that was fat, dumb, and happy able to buy what they wanted from abroad. They didn't need industry locally building stuff.

The last thing the farming and ranching interests wanted was for wages in the cities to be competitive, luring gauchos off the pampas and allowing for a lot of progressive ideas to have more of a constituency.

Butterfly that and Argentina contnues being prosperous I'd say on the same track or better than Brazil. YMMDV