AHC: Smallest, most desolate rump state possible

On a similar note, an Ottoman Empire reduced to Ada Kaleh could count as well in a scenario where the Greeks take Constantinople in the Turkish War of Independence with neither the Orthodox Greeks nor the Republican Turks wanting to do anyhting with the Sultan-Caliph resulting in the Sultan-Caliph being sent off to Ada Kaleh in TTL's Lausanne Conference, which would be the location of the Ottoman Empire/Caliphate from then on.
Hmm talking about that part of the world Mt Athos was chartered by the ERE and is still there Does it technically count

I'm a bit surprised nobody suggested the Dry Tortugas as a possible site for a rump US, regardless how unlikely that might be. The islands are accessible only by water or air, and are uninhabited save for "a handful" of park rangers and maintenance workers that are billeted in/near the Civil War era fort. Plenty of sea birds and turtles and not much else--and vulnerable to hurricanes in the bargain.
Or it could be a place for a rump Confederacy in an American Civil War timeline, but I think it just gets invaded by the sea. Also a lack of water would probably kill any rogue state/rump state idea from there.

If the retreat to Taiwan fails, you could still have a tiny version of the ROC in Kowloon Walled City (1949- 1997)
RvBoMally did something similar with the Qing Empire, on that note.
Broke: Rump Qing Empire and RoC in the KWC after their respective overthrows.

Woke: Tiananmen Square leads to a Ceaucuescu-like mass uprising. The rump CCP leaders use their connections with the Triads to sneak across the border to British Hong Kong, and re-appear in the KWC. They insist they retain control of the PRC's seat at the UN, and its international assets, and demand that the British hand over Hong Kong to them in 1997. There are now three entities claiming sovereignty over the Chinese nation.

Broke: Rump Qing Empire and RoC in the KWC after their respective overthrows.

Woke: Tiananmen Square leads to a Ceaucuescu-like mass uprising. The rump CCP leaders use their connections with the Triads to sneak across the border to British Hong Kong, and re-appear in the KWC. They insist they retain control of the PRC's seat at the UN, and its international assets, and demand that the British hand over Hong Kong to them in 1997. There are now three entities claiming sovereignty over the Chinese nation.

I would read that Timeline

The Falklands may be a possibility. Yes Argentina is a threat but if the defences were bulked up then it may work.

On a similar note, an Ottoman Empire reduced to Ada Kaleh could count as well in a scenario where the Greeks take Constantinople in the Turkish War of Independence
But Ada Kaleh was annexed by Hungary in 1913.

On another note, I'm surprised noone mentioned Jeju Island yet. It would the perfect location for a rump South Korea.

The Abaco Island, now part of The Bahamas, had an independence party in the 70s named Abaco Independence Movement (AIM) led by libertarians. Let's say they gain enough momentum and political force to achieve their dreams and get their independence, thus you would end with a tiny island in the Caribbean Sea.
The Island of Tanna, now part of Vanuatu, also had an independence movement in the 70s. Let's say Britain and France don't have problem with it, then you would end with a tiny island in the Pacific.
The United Arab Emirates was also a good option, if for some reason one of the emirates didn't want to be integrated with the others and kept its independence to this day.

It would fit, but the Aleutians alone aren't likely to survive long. The US was isolationist before Pearl Harbor and they wouldn't protect them like they did Taiwan, meaning even the USSR's shit tier Navy could get the job done eventually. And hell, it's more likely that the Japanese grab them during the RCW instead, along with North Sakhalin and the Primorye region. They might give up the Aleutians like they did the rest, or they might keep it, but the Whites are probably fucked.

The contrarian scenario is the rabid anti communists in the US take on support of this rump, or skelton state. Only a few thousand actual inhabitants, but providing 'Russian' passports to exiles across the globe for a nominal fee. Other income from clubbing baby seals and servicing stray fishing boats.

A exhausted Union is unable to tidy up when the ACW drags out a extra couple years. Some enclaves west of Terra Lengua & in South New Mexico keep up a independence, claiming to the the Confederacy.

If Denmark had sought to settle Greenland with European Danes, it would likely have ended up rump Denmark under WWII instead of being semi-occupied by USA and have ended up Denmark-in-exile if Germany won or Denmark ended up in the Soviet occupation zone. Of course while it would be the most desolated rump state, it would not be small.

I’ve seen Korean War scenarios where the US, to not draw China into the war, agrees to leave a tiny strip of North Korean land on the Yalu, so that the unified Korea doesn’t border China. This Korea would be barren as hell, and easily one of the worst places to live on the planet. May be too big to qualify, though.

And what the hell, just to shamelessly shill: my timeline also features a Republic of Korea that only features Jeju and some of the other small islands South Korea owns (such as Ulluengdo) after South Korea loses the Korean War, that’s just a bunch of barren rocks, and considered an “Asian banana republic”.

marathag

Banned
To me, a Rump State, must still have part of what EU4 calls 'Core Provinces' otherwise, its just an exile, which is not the same thing
So in an 1815 gone bad, a USA rump state would just parts of Georgia.

I was wondering if someone would mention Büsingen. That neutrality is the sticking point, isn't it? If they let them through, it might be a violation of neutrality, but if they don't, they will find their large neighbor less than pleased. Personally, I'm leaning towards they would let them through, as they allowed Allied troops to cross over to get the place under control at the end of WW2.
Had never heard of Busingen before