AHC: Save the Soaps!

As some of you may be aware, the last few years have been pretty rough on soap operas, with soaps being canceled left and right.

There are a number of reasons for this trend, of course; soaps can be expensive, most women work during the daytime hours, young girls don't watch 'em with their moms and get hooked anymore, etc.

So, I ask you this; what would have had to be different to prevent the great soap-opera die-off?

No Bobby Ewing coming-out-of-the-shower-it-was-all-a-dream style ridiculous storylines. Soaps weren't meant to be the Twilight Zone. Those storylines drove away viewers from the big 80's soaps by the bus load.

Have a new virus pandemic.... it does not kill you but reduces your IQ by 50%..... and hey presto soaps are popular again:rolleyes:

I would suggest altering economic conditions so that not as many women HAVE to work.

As muc has I hate to admit it, most married women with children would not work outside the home if circumstances did not neccesitate a secondary income for the household. You may have to alter the "Guns-and Butter" situation so that butter does a little better than in our timeline.

The Archers has been going for 61 years, so if others can do what they do, they should be find. But I did stop watching Neighbours when the twins left, since then no soaps for me.

The Archers has been going for 61 years, so if others can do what they do, they should be find. But I did stop watching Neighbours when the twins left, since then no soaps for me.
Two words, reality sjhows. The kinds of people that WOULD be watching soaps, now watch reality shows, for the most part.

What? Why would anyone want to watch those inane spectacles of narrative garbage? Why would you want to inflict them on more of the populace?
I say make them the only television available in prison, that way you get more viewership and encourage people to stay on the straight and narrow.

Have a nice day.
-MRegent

Some reality shows, like American Chopper, are basically soap operas anyway.

Reality shows about guys fiddling with cars, guns or trucking and most superhero comics are pretty much "soaps for men". Oh, and flicks like Rocky, etc. (wish fullfilment about common blue collar guy becoming a star thanks to his own hard effort, etc.).

I don't mean to be mean (hah, what a pun), but I personally wouldn't mind soaps going the way of the dodo, particularly if their demographic is steadily vanishing. ;)

Reality shows about guys fiddling with cars, guns or trucking and most superhero comics are pretty much "soaps for men". Oh, and flicks like Rocky, etc. (wish fullfilment about common blue collar guy becoming a star thanks to his own hard effort, etc.).

I don't mean to be mean (hah, what a pun), but I personally wouldn't mind soaps going the way of the dodo, particularly if their demographic is steadily vanishing. ;)
Neither would I, but then I am an arrogant cynical bitch anyway.

I have actually been a fan of Bold and the beautiful and Days of our lives(ok, my fanhood ended when Marlena got liberated from the devil that had taken possetion of her) and know why Bold atleast isnt attracting new fans. They are constantly reusing the same storylines. Have Brooke been together with everyone on the show yet? I havent seen the show for a few years

What? Why would anyone want to watch those inane spectacles of narrative garbage? Why would you want to inflict them on more of the populace?
I say make them the only television available in prison, that way you get more viewership and encourage people to stay on the straight and narrow.

Have a nice day.
-MRegent

-Soaps aren't just shows, they're institutions; many of those that have bitten the dust in recent years had been on the air for decades; there are characters that started out as children and now have grandchildren. Some of them started out on the radio! You don't find that just a little bit cool?

-The soaps are great way for actors to get noticed. The number of actors who got their start on one soap opera or another prior to going on to better things are legion.

-They're being replaced by reality and talk shows, which are even stupider.

I have actually been a fan of Bold and the beautiful and Days of our lives(ok, my fanhood ended when Marlena got liberated from the devil that had taken possetion of her) and know why Bold atleast isnt attracting new fans. They are constantly reusing the same storylines. Have Brooke been together with everyone on the show yet? I havent seen the show for a few years
Dunno. My mom (and thus, periodically me) hasn't watched Days in years. She watched One Life To Live until it was canceled, and still watches General Hospital.

Interestingly, GH seems to be doing pretty well as soaps go. Possible reason could be the inexplicable fact that a movie star (James Franco) keeps guest-starring. I've also heard it suggested that it's because the show is darker in tone than other soaps.

Last edited:
Yeah, it pissed me off when Law & Order ended its 20th and final season and everyone yawned. I would expect history fans to have a modicum of respect for the fact that shows like Guiding Light lasted for 70+ years.

The soap opera is never going to come back. It will never die, but it's glory days are over.

Now, if you want the Soap to never be seriously threatened, the best and easiest way to do that is twofold.

One create a change point that either prevents or lessens the severity of the several economic downturns we have had over the past thirty years.

Two prevent the rise of the reality show.

Oh, and three, prevent the rise of multi channel cable TV.