Well for Starters Jetsons the movie and/or the Live action Flintstones movie would have to make more money for Universal Studios

Avoid the live action movies, don't go that type of big. I think possibly retaining Butch Hartmann and using his ideas could help for a while (I know his controversy's but his most succesful properties made bank)

In 1966 Hanna-Barbera was sold to Taft Broadcasting so without William Hanna and Joseph Barbera holding a major equity stake in the company and having family to carry on their work the first time that anyone drives a few dump trucks full of money to their homes H-B is going to be sold.
The main value of the company was in the extensive library and trade marks and not in future projects so having someone in charge who could see the potential in creating new and more importantly profitable products would be a great help in keeping H-B going.
Another thing is that with the demise of traditionally broadcast networks Saturday Morning cartoons a lot of new business just dried up and new money for capital for projects were not coming in.

marathag

Banned
Do some new properties, rather than coasting on stuff done in the early '60s thru 1980s, and cartoon versions of live action shows for Saturday morning

South Park and Simpsons shows you don't need Disney Cinema grade animation to have staying power, if you can get out of the Saturday morning ghetto before that goes down
People, young and old will put up with crap visuals is there is solid, cutting edge writing going on

Keep Tom Rueggar from jumping over to Warners, for starters.

HB peaked and was their rapid fire series and popularity that endure so long OTL, If anything OTL was the best fate...but a TL soon you might liked it, isn´t it @TheFaultsofAlts
Thanks for the recommendation, @Nivek.

I took the liberty of reading everyone's suggestions in this discussion board, and I don't think that you're going far back enough...

You see, Bill and Joe were once the golden boys of the MGM Cartoon Studio back during the 40's and 50's. Well, if you don't count Tex Avery, that is. I mean, tell me with a straight face that the classic Tom and Jerry shorts didn't make a whole lot of bank for the company!

Now, imagine, if you will, that Hanna and Barbera manage to see the writing on the wall for the old studio, as well as entertainment as a whole, and suggest to the bigwigs at MGM about letting them create their own animation studio in exchange for making said studio replace their theatrical shorts over time. After all, if old Uncle Walt can strike gold in television, then why can't they do the same? In other words, HB Enterprises(AKA: Hanna-Barbera Productions) would be MGM's comeback in animation, even if no one knows it at first.

So, what I'm saying is that, to really make Hanna-Barbera remain a viable company in the animation industry, you need to make the company a complete division of MGM, where they were originally hired, from Day One, if not Day Zero.

Thankfully, I already came up with that concept & put it to work. You can find it under the name of Tom and Jerry...and Scooby? if you're highly curious about this pitch. All you have to do to find it is to go to "Forums", search by titles only, type the italics you see directly at the bottom, and there's a high chance that you will find it.

Last edited:
I don't know how independently H-B operates from Cartoon Network but it needs to be its own division with a budget that it controls so that they can create products that can be sold to other corporate entities like Nickelodeon or Comedy Central.

Another thing is to get all the rights from other studios so they can control their intellectual properties and start thinking outside of the "Live Action Cartoon" trap that "The Flintstones" and the "Scooby Doo" movies fell in.
For example make a live action Jetsons movie that starts off as a comedy but is really a Dystopian look at the future with automation and climate change that has the middle class living and working in structures that are very high off the ground while the poor live on the ground that Jas toxic,air and land.

Thankfully, I already came up with that concept & put it to work. You can find it under the name of Tom and Jerry...and Scooby? if you're highly curious about this pitch. All you have to do to find it is to go to "Forums", search by titles only, type the italics you see directly at the bottom, and there's a high chance that you will find it.
Still can't find it, can you send a link?

That was a pleasure buddy, your TL so far deserved those kudos and mention.

I don't know how independently H-B operates from Cartoon Network but it needs to be its own division with a budget that it controls so that they can create products that can be sold to other corporate entities like Nickelodeon or Comedy Central.

Another thing is to get all the rights from other studios so they can control their intellectual properties and start thinking outside of the "Live Action Cartoon" trap that "The Flintstones" and the "Scooby Doo" movies fell in.
For example make a live action Jetsons movie that starts off as a comedy but is really a Dystopian look at the future with automation and climate change that has the middle class living and working in structures that are very high off the ground while the poor live on the ground that Jas toxic,air and land.
And that is how you Kill IP dudes, DON'T DO THAT

And that is how you Kill IP dudes, DON'T DO THAT
I don't know about that after the failure of the live action Flintstones and Scooby Doo movies which effectively killed the future prospects of further movies you need to break the mold and do something different that reinvigorate the possibilities of having live action versions of the classic shows.
Of course it all depends on the execution in getting good scripts, having directors see more then what is written, casting the right actors and importantly having a budget that allows the look of the films feel real to the audience instead of it looking like it was filmed on the studio backlot with leftover sets and costumes.

I don't know about that after the failure of the live action Flintstones and Scooby Doo movies which effectively killed the future prospects of further movies you need to break the mold and do something different that reinvigorate the possibilities of having live action versions of the classic shows.
Of course it all depends on the execution in getting good scripts, having directors see more then what is written, casting the right actors and importantly having a budget that allows the look of the films feel real to the audience instead of it looking like it was filmed on the studio backlot with leftover sets and costumes.
The most succesful Mature(and i can call it because was trully mature in all sense of the world, even if fumbled it a little) was the flinstone comic revival, that was amazing, what the movie should have been(ie Fred Insecurities and a changing world)

PSX_20201124_221614.jpg
PSX_20201124_222916.jpg

Clips from an alternate The Jetsons movie done by Pixar

I took the liberty of reading everyone's suggestions in this discussion board, and I don't think that you're going far back enough...

You see, Bill and Joe were once the golden boys of the MGM Cartoon Studio back during the 40's and 50's. Well, if you don't count Tex Avery, that is. I mean, tell me with a straight face that the classic Tom and Jerry shorts didn't make a whole lot of bank for the company!

Now, imagine, if you will, that Hanna and Barbera manage to see the writing on the wall for the old studio, as well as entertainment as a whole, and suggest to the bigwigs at MGM about letting them create their own animation studio in exchange for making said studio replace their theatrical shorts over time. After all, if old Uncle Walt can strike gold in television, then why can't they do the same? In other words, HB Enterprises(AKA: Hanna-Barbera Productions) would be MGM's comeback in animation, even if no one knows it at first.

So, what I'm saying is that, to really make Hanna-Barbera remain a viable company in the animation industry, you need to make the company a complete division of MGM, where they were originally hired, from Day One, if not Day Zero.

Almost happened OTL. This was rejected by MGM which forced Hanna Barbara to find another studio which was Columbia.