AHC: Save a lost or destroyed city

Albrecht

Banned
Mongols stopped in Mongolia itself would have had many cities survived. Old Bactria, Samarkand, Merv, Old Banyan, Round City of Baghdad and many in Russia, Poland, Central Asia and also the Middle East.

Albrecht

Banned
What do you mean by lost? Abandoned/destroyed or conquered by someone else? If letter, then I can add many.

Constantinople, Iconium, Ancyra and Adrianople: Have close relations between the Byzantines and the Latin Kingdoms. This could easily save the Byzantine Empire and Constantinople. Though it would get a different character than the predominantly Orthodox one.

Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, Amida, Memphis, Cyrene and Carthage: A few Centuries after conquest by the Arabs, the Byzantines develop strong relations with the Franks, HRE and Hungary in a similar scenario as I described and merge both the Churches of Constantinople and Rome. This leads to a reconquest in the Arab conquered regions of Middle East and North Africa. The cities towards the West of the Middle East are won back while cities like Damascus would be contested as they already bordered Arab majority regions even before Islam. However, if those Arabs remained Christian, getting back Damascus and Petra would be a cakewalk.

Vijaynagar city could easily have survived after the battle of Talikota if thé new emperor had decided to maintain it as the capital.

This is an easy one for me, the influential and at the time sizeable former capital of Scotland survives to be a city comparable with Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Make the Scots generally more successful in their encounters with the English during the Middle Ages. For starters the English never take Berwick Upon Tweed in 1492 which in IOTL starved Roxburgh of the economic benefits of having a coastal port to facilitate its trade.

Just imagine Scotland may have another large city with a border further south than it is today making it a more equal partner within the Union.

Your challenge is to take a city that was lost or destroyed IOTL and have it be spared that fate.
Rome loses to Hannibal and is destroyed as punishment permamently. An ASB scenario: the Vulcanic field in the Mediterranean Sea erupts on the day of the Vesuv eruptio, Rome is also destroyed.

If the Bronze Age Kingdom of Mitanni survives longer (I believe there's a current timeline on this them), say by successfully resisting the Hittites and/or the Assyrians, then its capital, Washukanni, would survive longer, perhaps being rebuilt several times before its probable eventual decline, but still being a small settlement in the present day. In OTL we don't actually know where it was situated, though there are theories. In this ATL we do, and modern archaeological investigations reveal (drool!) a large library of cuneiform tablets.

Your challenge is to take a city that was lost or destroyed IOTL and have it be spared that fate.
Aztec Capital is not destroyed, is preserved to modern day. Wonder if theoretically Aztec ruler converts and his people accept it if the Spaniards are halted from destroying the Aztec Empire like that.

The Brits decide to keep Louisbourg in 1748 and accordingly make it (rather than the as of yet unbuilt Halifax) the capital of Nova Scotia and their primary naval base in the western Atlantic. Accordingly it isn't destroyed in 1760 and left largely untouched until the 1960s.

Given the massive coal reserves of Cape Bretton I imagine it'd be a major industrial centre for much of the 1900s.

The problem is we need an entirely different Roman Republic, and with that a completely different relationship with Carthage.
Maybe the Carthage adopts a Roman style military, i.e, based on the citizens rather than mercenaries, giving them more manpower. Also, unlike in OTL, where they tried to appease Rome till the end, they could be more assertive and try and unify Tunisia. While it may still not be able to compete directly with Rome, it may be able to beat the Romans on home ground.

Maybe the Carthage adopts a Roman style military, i.e, based on the citizens rather than mercenaries, giving them more manpower. Also, unlike in OTL, where they tried to appease Rome till the end, they could be more assertive and try and unify Tunisia. While it may still not be able to compete directly with Rome, it may be able to beat the Romans on home ground.

Carthage didn't have the manpower to adopt a citizen-based military, nor would they implement one. The last time they did this, they suffered huge loses to Syracuse during the Sicilian Wars. If they did this during the Punic Wars, Carthaginian might would've been shattered much earlier. Furthermore, being more assertive in Tunisia would be useless, since they held all the important lands along the coast and the more fertile inland positions. Carthage would've done better if they focused on expanding their holdings in Iberia and tried to foster a larger foreign population that they could give citizenship to. This is, of course, in the scenario that they lose the First Punic.

Thomas Jefferson doesn't move the Virginian capital to Richmond due to petty dislike of W&M College and so Williamsburg stays a major American city, its lack of port eventually recitrified by natural growth.

Kaze

Banned
Petra.
Petra_Jordan_BW_21.JPG

Petra - all it took was a single earthquake and a sand storm - then the rivers and wells dried up. If the city might prosper into a massive location along the Silk Road...

But... I fear what will happen in the Future.... I cried a little about the iconoclasts of the modern age.