AHC: Russo-American Alliance

In history and the present day, the US and Russia are fierce rivals. Yet, under the Tsars, the US counted Russia an ally, and again against the Nazi menace, the Americans and Russians fought together. Your challenge is to create a stable and long-term Russian-American alliance, along the kind of terms as OTL's Special Relationship with the UK or American alliance with France.

destiple

Banned
well today would be a good time
look at traditional enemies of russia in the east and south
china , japan turkey, iran , pakistan , muslim countries NONE of them our natural allies and some of them not very friendly with us
if russia tames its aggressive impulses in europe mends fences with poland then we can have a real alliance

More concrete support for the Whites in the Russian Civil War could be apart of a White victory. Add American investment and support in rebuilding Russia. You might see the emergence of a Russo-American alliance.

destiple

Banned
maybe a lot more russian immigration toUSA with a huge diaspora in the west plains and along the east coast

kernals12

Banned
Not sure, it seems a World War is going to break out either way. Perhaps in 1916 or 1918?
By that point, Russia would have fully upgraded her navy and built out the rail network needed to accommodate the logistics of war and prevent grain shortages. The Russians would be much more likely to defeat Germany or perhaps Germany would be deterred from giving the Austrians a "blank cheque".

destiple

Banned
lets not make it a WW1 only thread guys

even if communism and WW1 I say somehow the sympathetic people in USA encourage more and more eastern europeans to come here and settle, so much so that polish belorussian ukranian and russian are second lanagages from Iowa to Idaho and Montana to Oklahoma.The "Slavic sphere " right next to the "german triangle"

well today would be a good time
look at traditional enemies of russia in the east and south
china , japan turkey, iran , pakistan , muslim countries NONE of them our natural allies and some of them not very friendly with us
if russia tames its aggressive impulses in europe mends fences with poland then we can have a real alliance
And what makes Russia different? Being white?

destiple

Banned
let me quote bismarck, he said something like "russia has no business in europe , it should focus on asia there it represents civilization"
actually most of russia is NOT white

let me quote bismarck, he said something like "russia has no business in europe , it should focus on asia there it represents civilization"
actually most of russia is NOT white
Lol, ethnic Russians are Slavs, and the last time I checked, Slavs are considered white.

So Russia is somehow more civilized than its eastern neighbors? That's a hoot.

destiple

Banned
Lol, ethnic Russians are Slavs, and the last time I checked, Slavs are considered white.

So Russia is somehow more civilized than its eastern neighbors? That's a hoot.
it reflects Bismarcks bias which was not isolated to him , lot of europeans at that time thought that way

The Tsars make it difficult pre-WWI. Yeah, America cozies up to dictators when convenient but that's a lot different than the ties we have to the British. Dont think immigration changes that. There were a lot of Germans in the US in 1914 and that didnt prevent the US from fighting against Germany.

An interesting thought is a POD where Alexander II never faces multiple assassination attempts, including the one that resulted in his death (Probably the greatest overlooked POD on this board). You might have a much more liberal Russia in this case, including one that starts to resemble the ceremonial monarchy of the UK. Which brings us around to the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Better leadership in the government combined with an assertive Japan could possibly lead the US to a more active role in the war and thus much stronger ties. Hard to get all this to happen so its a massive long shot. But an interesting one.

kernals12

Banned
The best possible 20th century assuming World War I happens
Russia's February Revolution succeeds
Germany collapses during that summer and the Kaiser is overthrown

1917, not 1989, becomes the end of History.