AHC: Prime Minister Ed Miliband

A challenge:

With a POD no earlier than Ed Miliband's appointment as Secretary of State for Energy and Climate change (which I think is October 2008), have Edward Samuel Miliband serve time as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (either still continuing or for a period in the past).

Rules:
Only one - no nuclear war/national disaster wiping out the Conservative Party MPs leaving him as last man/party standing in the House of Commons

Nice (bonus points for) but not essential:
Have him serve at least one year
Should be as a Labour MP
Would be nice to keep the Union together (or if you do want a split, it should be Scotland splitting rather than England and Wales buggering off)

I always like to try at least one go myself, so I'll get the obvious one out the way:
2015 general election results follows the polls. Labour under Ed get about 270 seats, with Conservatives on only 290 or so. Confidence and Supply with the 56 seat strong SNP, and off goes PM Miliband. Might only last a year but that's all we need.....

Popular vote gap between the Tories and Labour in 2015 was 6.5%, with Labour often or usually leading in the polls in the previous parliament. It doesn't really take much to put Labour in under these circumstances.

Heavy

Banned
How about he loses the leadership election to his brother, who loses to Cameron (possibly worse?) in 2015, Ed is elected to succeed him, campaigns hard for Remain in the EU referendum and (regardless of the outcome of the vote) gets in when the Tories eat themselves in the aftermath.

I did my dissertation on the 2015 election and why Labour lost, simply put they weren't trusted on the economy and Ed wasn't seen as a Leader but it's not that hard to make Ed PM. I say firstly there is issue of economic competence. If you want to eliminate the issue of trust on the economy the Labour leadership was a problem as during this period Labour were focused on it while the Tories and Lib Dems blamed Labour for everything. Ed or whoever wins needs to defend Labours governmental record, as it allows Cameron or whoever to blame things on Labour. I think getting Alan Johnson or David Miliband would be good, as Ed Balls was too linked to Brown. You need a clear platform as well so once you've got stability go for a message , I think sticking with the one nation stuff would be good , Axelrod got rid of it. On Scotland, Scottish Labour has a lot of issues but get rid of Iain Gray and stop the SNP getting a majority and therefore no mandate for the independence referendum. The Tories spent far more money and this money allowed them to target advertising far better than Labour who could just hand out generic leaflets to anybody, Torys could taylor it to the area and various voters. The media was an issue in terms of agenda setting this is harder to remove but with Labour having defended there image it might be less effective. Even if you ignore this, if Ed had said clearly no to the SNP the Tories camapagin would have been not as effective and with a straight debate between Ed and Dave, Ed could have won as he has lower expectations than Dave and according to polls did well enough in the one OTL. Theres lots of ways to get Ed PM, just depends on the time and POD.