AHC: President Patton

Patton was very good at stirring up a crowd (though they were military so that is different speak than with civilians) so lets have you make President Patton a reality and not my fever dream.

This guy had a greater foot in mouth syndrome than VP Biden. You would have to change a significat part of his temperament.

Possible- it would be more of a surprise if alternate history wasn't composed of alternate people after all- but start at the end and work backwards; under what circumstances would America be willing to elect George S. Patton? What is the problem to which he would look like the solution?

Assuming that he is actually alive to elect, that necessarily- a major cold war confrontation early on, perhaps, might make him look good.

Say McArthur drops the ball spectacularly during the Korean War; or Stalin suffers a severe attack of lizard- brain, and the hordes pouring south over the border are not Chinese, they're the Soviet Far Eastern Strategic Direction.

A catastrophic conventional defeat, fast enough to amount to a fait accompli before the orders can be passed along the nuclear chain of command; America's Viceroy of Japan dead, the entire eighth (US) army dead or prisoner, Korea in Soviet hands, revenge for the humiliation of the Berlin Airlift.

In conditions like that, Patton might have a shot at the 1952 elections. America might actually want someone like him, in a much hotter cold war.

Probably still well into fever dream territory, though.

Patton was in poor health even at the time of his accident, so he might not even live to the time when he could run for office.

I don't believe Patton had any real interest in politics. I may be wrong, but I believe he was against such a thing in a very Shermanesque way. Also, he was a jerk and an antisemite, and a list of other horrid things. He's interesting, but a bastard.

Wendel Wilkie wins. Of course WWII still takes place along somewhat normal lines. Patton of course is being a pain in Eisenhower's back side. Ike writes to president Wilkie asking that he do something about Patton. Just after reading the letter Wilkie is informed that his vice president (sorry can not remember his name at the moment and do not wish to look it up right now) has died (death was otl). Wilke decides to take care of both problems at the same time and selects Patton as vice president. The senate approves the nomination. Wilke then as Otl dies before finishing his term. There you have president Patton.