AHC: PM Hitchens

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to make one of the Hitchens brothers Prime Minister of the United Kingdom by the year 2010.

Bonus points if you manage to lay out a scenario for each brother where this happens.

While Peter Hitchens is a right winger, he hates the Labour right a lot more than he hates the Labour left. He's a social conservative, but he's never really been economically right wing.

I see what you mean but I don't think I could see him in Tony Benn's camp. If he entered politics later then he'd be conservative, but I don't think he could become Prime Minister.

Though imagine Prime Minister Christopher Hitchens for a Labour ministry and his brother Peter as Home Secretary.

I do agree with you to a large extent, so I think Christopher could play such a factional divide in Labour better than his brother.

I see what you mean but I don't think I could see him in Tony Benn's camp. If he entered politics later then he'd be conservative, but I don't think he could become Prime Minister.
Peter Hitchens agrees with Tony Benn on economics, foreign policy, and the EU, but disagrees on social issues. He disagrees with the labour right on pretty much everything. I think the only party Peter fits in now is UKIP, where he could maybe, just maybe become an MP in 2015. If Enoch Powell never made his rivers of blood speech or made it a lot less racists and the social conservatives stayed a key part of the Tories I could see Peter joining the Tories though.

I do agree that Christopher would do a much better job in politics because being a centrist neocon was for a time pretty mainstream and popular.

Peter Hitchens agrees with Tony Benn on economics, foreign policy, and the EU, but disagrees on social issues. He disagrees with the labour right on pretty much everything. I think the only party Peter fits in now is UKIP, where he could maybe, just maybe become an MP in 2015. If Enoch Powell never made his rivers of blood speech or made it a lot less racists and the social conservatives stayed a key part of the Tories I could see Peter joining the Tories though.

I do agree that Christopher would do a much better job in politics because being a centrist neocon was for a time pretty mainstream and popular.
Eh. I don't know about calling Christopher a centrist.

Peter Hitchens agrees with Tony Benn on economics, foreign policy, and the EU, but disagrees on social issues.

Again, you are indeed right but I think that with Peter's intense focus on cultural matters (and foreign policy too, so that helps him work with Benn which is necessary for party cohesion) would make him perhaps if not Labour right, an oddball in the party.

Eh. I don't know about calling Christopher a centrist.
He was definitely a liberal for a period of time.

Again, you are indeed right but I think that with Peter's intense focus on cultural matters (and foreign policy too, so that helps him work with Benn which is necessary for party cohesion) would make him perhaps if not Labour right, an oddball in the party.
The Labour Right were never right wing on cultural matters. It was Roy Jenkins who pushed a lot of the major reforms under Wilson. Peter Hitchens is probably closest to Peter Shore, who was on the Labour left.

The Labour Right were never right wing on cultural matters. It was Roy Jenkins who pushed a lot of the major reforms under Wilson. Peter Hitchens is probably closest to Peter Shore, who was on the Labour left.

I never said they were, but I now agree that overall he’d be closer to the left but I cannot accept that he’d call himself part of left Labour, unless of course he never gave up his views when he was younger which in that case Tony Benn would be to his right.

I never said they were, but I now agree that overall he’d be closer to the left but I cannot accept that he’d call himself part of left Labour, unless of course he never gave up his views when he was younger which in that case Tony Benn would be to his right.
He wouldn't call himself part of left Labour but he would probably be more closely aligned with the left of labour, but would be more of a left wing nationalist. He could do well as an MP in Northern England.

Peter Hitchens is basically what you'd get if the most conservative Republicans realised that liberal economics (the sort of thing Thatcher brought in) made going back to their idealised '50's society an impossibility and decided that that society was more important to them than the economics.

Peter Hitchens is basically what you'd get if the most conservative Republicans realised that liberal economics (the sort of thing Thatcher brought in) made going back to their idealised '50's society an impossibility and decided that that society was more important to them than the economics.
I remember seeing an interview with him where he said (in many more words of course) that this was basically the case.

I can maybe, just maybe, see Dead Hitchens somehow ending up as a truculent Labour forever-locked-in-as-a-backbencher-polemicist-eventually-transitioning-away-from-politics-into-being-a-public-intellectual for a short time - just about. Sort of like a more intense Foot pre-70 with a quick burnout. I have difficulty seeing Living Hitchens as even getting to the backbencher stage.

Given the lethal combo of personalities and views, and impulses, neither are remotely potential party leaders.

Interesting, because CHRISTOPHER Hitchens has said he admires certain things about Thatcher and market-economics generally(claiming to be following in the foosteps of Marx, properly understood). Given his socially liberal views, one can postulate that his outlook is the mirror image of his brother's, ie. the market leads to social liberalism, and that's good.

Speaking of Christophher, while he didn't become a Yank until the mid-2000s, I think he had been more or less identifying as an American, culturally speaking and of course in terms of residency, conisderably earlier than that. But, given his religious views, I don't think he'd get anywhere in the politics of his adopted country. Much as he might have liked to imagine a nation of Paine-like freethinkers, there really isn't a lot of a market for that in the Shining City.

For that matter, he would probably have been too scabrous even for the land of Monty Python. There has to be a reason why the Brits, famously secular though they may be, see fit to keep the Church Of England in business, and I'd imagine that, while unlike the Yanks they don't demand absolute devotion from their leaders, blatantly insulting religious belief a la Hitchens would not go over that well.

And can you imagine the sort of relations the UK would have with the Muslim world under a PM Christopher Hitchens??

Interesting, because CHRISTOPHER Hitchens has said he admires certain things about Thatcher and market-economics generally(claiming to be following in the foosteps of Marx, properly understood). Given his socially liberal views, one can postulate that his outlook is the mirror image of his brother's, ie. the market leads to social liberalism, and that's good.

Speaking of Christophher, while he didn't become a Yank until the mid-2000s, I think he had been more or less identifying as an American, culturally speaking and of course in terms of residency, conisderably earlier than that. But, given his religious views, I don't think he'd get anywhere in the politics of his adopted country. Much as he might have liked to imagine a nation of Paine-like freethinkers, there really isn't a lot of a market for that in the Shining City.

For that matter, he would probably have been too scabrous even for the land of Monty Python. There has to be a reason why the Brits, famously secular though they may be, see fit to keep the Church Of England in business, and I'd imagine that, while unlike the Yanks they don't demand absolute devotion from their leaders, blatantly insulting religious belief a la Hitchens would not go over that well.

And can you imagine the sort of relations the UK would have with the Muslim world under a PM Christopher Hitchens??
I've heard of his praises, and I never understood why he would praise Thatcher, seeing as how, even in his post 9/11 days, he still positively despised Ronald Reagan.

I've heard of his praises, and I never understood why he would praise Thatcher, seeing as how, even in his post 9/11 days, he still positively despised Ronald Reagan.

Lessons Maggie Taught Me

He gives her credit for a few breakthroughs in foreign-policy, and seems to admire her for going up against certain venerable old institutions like the monarchy and the Church.

He wrote that in 1990, after she had resigned. From what I recall of his autobiography, he might have expanded on the themes a little more in later years.

Heh. Not even a hedgehog.

Thanks for the delve into the archives.

Ronald Reagan claimed that the Russian language had no word for "freedom." (The word is "svoboda"; it's quite well attested in Russian literature.) Ronald Reagan said that intercontinental ballistic missiles (not that there are any non-ballistic missiles—a corruption of language that isn't his fault) could be recalled once launched. Ronald Reagan said that he sought a "Star Wars" defense only in order to share the technology with the tyrants of the U.S.S.R. Ronald Reagan professed to be annoyed when people called it "Star Wars," even though he had ended his speech on the subject with the lame quip, "May the force be with you." Ronald Reagan used to alarm his Soviet counterparts by saying that surely they'd both unite against an invasion from Mars. Ronald Reagan used to alarm other constituencies by speaking freely about the "End Times" foreshadowed in the Bible. In the Oval Office, Ronald Reagan told Yitzhak Shamir and Simon Wiesenthal, on two separate occasions, that he himself had assisted personally at the liberation of the Nazi death camps.

Stuff to keep in mind next time you hear someone say "I can't believe what Donald Trump has done to the party of Ronald Reagan!"