AHC: Pirates vs Ninjas in real life

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Night Gaul, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

1. Night Gaul Well-Known Member

I'm sure pretty much all of us have heard of the "pirates vs. ninjas" meme. Your challenge is to somehow have pirates and ninjas fight in real life.

Note: when I say "pirate", I don't necessarily mean the stereotypical "golden age" buccaneer. Anyone committing acts that meet the definition of piracy will do.

Aloha likes this.
  2. nlucasm from the Chilean Wallmapu

Thande did it in Look to the West

xsampa and wcv215 like this.
  3. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

When Japan closes their borders, the Emperor sends out their direct servants, the ninja, to recover all Japanese from overseas.

The ones who fight back are the pirates.

Ironshark and RGB like this.
  4. Magnum Well-Known Member

Pretty sure lots of communities in and around the Japanese Home Islands engaged in piracy

5. alexmilman Well-Known Member

Which “pirates” are you talking about? There was plenty of Chinese, Malayan and other Asiatic pirates so there is no reason to look for the European “celebrities” like l’Ollonais or Henry Morgan. At least Zheng Zhilong was operating in Japanese waters, married Japanese woman and had Japanese in his fleet.

6. 9 Fanged Hummingbird Some Random Guy

The Japanese were themselves notorious pirates back in the day, see "wokou". It's not impossible to imagine that a shogun might've dispatched ninjas to spy on, assassinate, or otherwise frustrate any of the disparate pirate groups operating in the area.

7. Fabius Maximus Unus qui nobis cunctando restituit rem

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that such a thing already happened IOTL.

8. Nivek Lions got robbed 14/10/2019 22:10:00

The Ninja double as pirate in japan too...