AHC: Personal Union between Britain and Russia

Under what circumstances could this be achieved?
Its very difficult.
You would probably need to change Russia a lot or change England-United Kingdom a lot, or change the world in which Russia and Britain are, due to religious differences, geo-political interests and things like that.

There are practically no chance with a OTL setting.
*I think OTL Ivan IV proposed to Elizabeth I. But I dont think this would really have ended in a personal union.
*A marriage between Empress Victoria and who would be later Alexander II of Russia would not happen, but they did meet.
"Bowled over by a grand duke
Victoria became Queen in 1837. Two years later, Tsar Nicholas I sent his heir Tsarevich Alexander to England. Despite reservations about meeting him, Victoria was bowled over by the handsome Alexander during balls at Buckingham Palace.
I really am quite in love with the Grand Duke,” the twenty-year-old Queen wrote. But the Tsar quickly summoned his heir home: there could be no question of a marriage between the Queen of England and the heir to the Russian throne
."

Maybe get an Orthodox England, Pagan nordic leadership of England and Russia or a Catholic/Protestant Russia with a Catholic/Protestant England.

Nephi

Banned
That sounds like a West Virginia romance right there, I mean 🤣

That's basically dear diary my cousin sure does crank my tractor.

Very very difficult if not ASB. At least PU between Britain and Russia is probably impossible since hardly both are intrested about that and probably not even willingful. And there is probably many other things too which make that extremely difficult.

And probably even between England and Muscovy Russia such thing would be pretty difficult.

We have a timeline for it, @DJP wrote a story called to Empires unite, which for some reason I can't paste here. Must be mobile Chrome messing with the board software. Anyways, it's in his profile

Last edited:
*A marriage between Empress Victoria and who would be later Alexander II of Russia would not happen, but they did meet.
"Bowled over by a grand duke
Victoria became Queen in 1837. Two years later, Tsar Nicholas I sent his heir Tsarevich Alexander to England. Despite reservations about meeting him, Victoria was bowled over by the handsome Alexander during balls at Buckingham Palace.
I really am quite in love with the Grand Duke,” the twenty-year-old Queen wrote. But the Tsar quickly summoned his heir home: there could be no question of a marriage between the Queen of England and the heir to the Russian throne
."
Perhaps such an encounter could still occur and then lead to marriage if William IV had left legitimate issue. We'd fulfill the challenge if that branch of the family subsequently died off too rapidly to take *Alexander III out of the succession sometime after his parents died.

I wish I could name specific circumstances for this, but then this is almost impossible to even consider given the historic rivalries between the two countries.

Maybe Henry VIII could convert to Orthodoxy instead of creating Anglicanism.
Having the same religion would help to have marriages between the two royal/imperial families. Then, just have the right people die at the right time.

The Romanovs and Windsors are essentially both from the same German aristocratic lineage so that part is easy. The subsequent religious and cultural heritage evolves quite differently so that becomes a big hurdle.

Having the same religion would help to have marriages between the two royal/imperial families. Then, just have the right people die at the right time.

British Orthodoxy....that'd be weird.

We have to considered whether other countries would allow that to happen.
Two powerful empires coming together?

Why didn't he convert to Orthodoxy IOTL? We would need to get rid of this reason

Geography is the biggest issue. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Different government styles, different religions, and different agendas. Britain and Hanover couldn’t get into a union even though Hanover was way smaller.