Ahh cheers for the fix there Yulzari :) I was watching this

And it reminded me of the vickers and I thought the ones on the older planes were the same gun (and basically are but with a different cooling method as you described :) )

You could probably put them on some simple kind of tripod mounting, have one designed and then put together in a workshop. You don't need something over the top, just a big tripod mount and bracing for one or two MGs, a simple sight and a trigger. Or failing that, as you said, give them to the Home Guard if you can convert them back into water cooling, they'd probably be thankful for them.

Not a simple tripod but an actual AAA mount

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/MarlinMG/Marlin Quad Mount Manual.pdf

they could also be adapted for air cooled Vickers and other weapons the RAF, Home Guard and second line forces had lying around.

Re anti-aircraft guns in general, the UK's anti-aircraft defences never seem to get much limelight, I don't know how effective they were, but with the 3.7-inch AA gun they had a potent weapon for sure. Hell the UK even put 5.25-inch guns in their turret mountings ashore as anti-aircraft weapons.
There were also some 4.5" turrets added eventually as they felt the 5.25 weren't as practicable.
IIRC the 4.5-inch formed the basis of the final model of the 3.7-inch by re-lining the barrels down and mating the 3.7-inch shell to the larger 4.5-inch casing, the increased propellant giving it an extra kick. This is aside from the regular 4-5 and 5.25-inch guns that were often placed near Royal Navy bases for commonality of ammunition. They also did some very interesting work with automatic loader/fuze setting machines.

Last edited:
IIRC the 4.5-inch formed the basis of the final model of the 3.7-inch by re-lining the barrels down and mating the 3.7-inch shell to the larger 4.5-inch casing, the increased propellant giving it an extra kick. This is aside from the regular 4-5 and 5.25-inch guns that were often placed near Royal Navy bases for commonality of ammunition. They also did some very interesting work with automatic loader/fuze setting machines.

I actually bought a book about the architecture of AAA Command... I use it to get to sleep. I'll have to dig it out as it did discuss the various weapons used.

Well I would argue that simply by dint of having more airframes available the RAF could be in a position to mitigate many of the advantages of Sickle Cut in its area of frontage - especially the broad breakdown in LOC and Recce that took place.

Cannon armed fighters would absolutely mince the panzer divisions too....
With so many Spitfires and such a competent air ministry who would obviously think about how to conduct an effective bomber campaign would some get diverted PR use? A mere handful ready for the BoF might change everything if they located the Panzers early on?

Excellent update as always :) The advantages of cannons are becoming rapidly obvious as is a need for tighter control of aircraft whilst in the air.

I was going through my British Army folder and found this spreadsheet that I had forgotten about.

AA guns belonged to the Royal Regiment of Artillery, which was why they were organised into batteries.
HAA = Heavy Anti-Aircraft and a HAA battery normally had 8 guns
LAA = Light Anti Aircraft and a LAA battery normally had 12 guns​

Searchlights belonged to the Corps of Royal Engineers, which is why they were organised into companies (usually with 24 lights) instead of batteries. That is until about 1938 when the searchlights were transferred from the RE to the RA.

The Romer Plan was the Army part of the 52-squadron Home Defence Scheme of 1923. In common with the RAF the original completion date for the plan was 31st March 1928, but this was put back several times.

Not all of the Ideal Plans were approved by the Cabinet.

I haven't checked my notes so all of the following is IIRC.
5 AA divisions were actually in existence in September 1939 with another 2 planned.
There were eventually 12 AA divisions divided among 3 AA Corps, which covered the following territories:
I AA Corps corresponded to Nos. 10 and 11 (Fighter) Groups of RAF Fighter Command
II AA Corps corresponded to Nos. 9 and 12 (Fighter) Groups of RAF Fighter Command
III AA Corps corresponded to Nos. 13 and 14 (Fighter) Groups of RAF Fighter Command​
The division and corps structure was found to be unwieldy. At some point after the Blitz ended they were abolished and replaced by a number of AA groups.​

Air Defence of Great Britain - AA Guns - Searchlights - Barrage Balloons.png

Can the MG variants of 13 Group simply have the wings removed and replaced with cannon-variant wings, and be re-ballasted, rather than having to divert entirely new aircraft to the Scottish front?

That will probably happen but only when the aircraft go back to the maintenance depots for inspection and rebuild, it's not a job Squadron ground crew would do.

I'm quite eager to see the Defiants in action soon, will they end up with a better name in TTL?

Can the MG variants of 13 Group simply have the wings removed and replaced with cannon-variant wings, and be re-ballasted, rather than having to divert entirely new aircraft to the Scottish front?

Another job for the CRO, perhaps? BTW, what's happening with that ITTL?

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
7.2 and 7.3 lack threadmarks?
Yes. My bad. The two posts for March take us well over the start line for the war. And the OR are focusing effort on the killing blows.

Are the Fencible Army Nursing Yeomanry and Cambridge University Naval Training Squadron both true?

Cambridge has/had a Sea Cadet branch and most major universities have a training squadron, Cambridge University included. The exact wording? We can only hope.

Last edited:
7.4 Legalities And Casualties
7.4 Legalities and Casualties.

Sir Phillips final task on reviewing the first six months of hostilities was to read again the reports from Bomber command. When the war started to many squadrons were flying obsolete aircraft types and some of the more modern aircraft issued to Bomber Command were really not suited for a prolonged strategic campaign. Both the Battle and the Blenheim really fell into this criteria and hence as many as possible had been sent to France where their lack of range was not such a handicap. For UK based squadrons there were Hadley Page Hampdens, Armstrong Whitley’s and Vickers Wellingtons. The decision taken prewar to concentrate on a night bombing campaign was undermined by two separate but converging opponents. The first was purely political, the peace time fear of the bomber carried over into the war and politicians argued over the legality of bombing private rather than government property, add to this the appeal by President Rosevelt for war mongering nations to avoid civilian casualties and not bomb undefended cities.

This led to such restraints on the RAF as to what they could and could not bomb as to all intense and purpose neutered the bomber force. For instance the Krupps armament works was privately own and could not be bombed as was the Blomm and Voss shipyards. These constraints therefore made night time raids impossible because the probability of hitting private property and killing civilians was just two high. These targeting restraints played into the hands of the remaining ‘Trenchardists’ in the RAF who argued that modern bombers with their defensive machine guns could fight their way to and from a target in daylight. So from the first full day of the war the only night time sorties carried out over enemy territory carried nothing more lethal than leaflets.

When a daylight raid was conducted on the anchorage at Wilhelmshaven on the 4th of September no less than five of the ten bombers were lost. Despite this a further visit by Wellingtons was carried out on the 14th of December to targets north of Wilhelmshaven this had resulted in the loss of five of the fourteen aircraft sent. Despite these high losses of between thirty and fifty percent on each of these raids a further sortie against the German navy in Wilhelmshaven was carried out on the 18th of December by a force of 24 Wellingtons from three squadrons, No’s 9, 37 and 147, flying from bases in Norfolk and Suffolk. As far as Sir Phillip was concerned the result of this raid had been all to predictable. Half the aircraft were lost, twelve crews just thrown away and to add insult to injury not only had most of the bombers not dropped their bombs because of the injunction not to risk civilian casualties the ground based senior officers had subsequently blamed the losses on poor formation keeping by the bomber pilots. Sir Phillip however had read deeper into the reports and found that here had been poor briefing and co-ordination between the constituent squadrons by the officers responsible for the raid planning. Thankfully this was the last time a formation oh bombers was sent to attack a heavily defended target in day light.

Reports from Maritime Command regarding the big four engine Stirling had been very favourable and in fact the command was trying to monopolise the entire Stirling production. However with the second production line in Belfast about to start production Shorts at Rochester would soon concentrate solely on the bomber version. The first Short Stirling Squadron should be operational in early September with the first Manchester squadron vying to beat them to it. Despite Fairey Engineering increasing production capacity Sir Phillip could foresee a shortage of the Monarch engines causing problems. Especially when both the Hawker Tornado and the Fairy Barracuda commenced serial production as well. Sir Phillip considered it a forlorn hope that Napier would get satisfactory Sabre engines delivered an time soon to ease the situation. The delays with the Bristol Hercules was also causing head aches but the cancellation of the Taurus engine had freed up capacity and when Bristols final cured all the Hercules ills Sir Phillip could see a good supply becoming available. Currently Alvis with Armstrong Siddley were producing sufficient Pelides to meet both the considerable demand from the FAA, who were using this engine in the Follond Fulmar, The Bristol 148 being built by Cunlif Owen and the new Fairey Albacore monoplane TBR aircraft being built by Austin in lieu of the Battles they were originally contracted for and Gloster’s who were using the engine for the Reaper.

Talking of engines There was much excitement at Powerjets a few days ago when the first flight worthy engine produce 850lb of thrust on the test stand and did not blow up! Power Jets and Glosters were talking of a first flight for the Gloster E28/38 by late summer and shipping two engines to Westlands before then. The big question after that would be getting a production line up and running.

With the Famingo’s and the Hudsons sharing the near water patrols, the LRMPA Stirlings were covering doing the mid-atlantic whilst the Sunderlands filled the gap between them. Maritime Command were holding their own at the moment against the u boat and had been tracking neutral shipping and potential blockade runners. Resources were still stretch and more long range aircraft and crews required for which there was stiff competition from the rest of the RAF.

Cannon production was only just keeping pace with the new aircraft production and there were no surplus as yet to make up grading existing earlier marks of aircraft to cannon configuration. So the policy of transferring the older marks to reserve and training would continue.

After much discussion in cabinet the decision was made, After much agitation by Churchill, to send two full Squadrons of Hurricane to Malta. This was intended to serve two purposes, Hopefully it would deter the Italians from making an attack on the Islands, Secondly it would show our allies in the region that we were serious about the defence of the Mediterranean sea lanes.

Last edited:
Another excellent update. Looking forward to reading more.

Forgive me if I missed it but when are we expecting the introduction of the Mosquito? With full development support early on I don't see why you couldn't knock a considerable time off its OTL in service date.

The Flamingo was also a transport aircraft IIRC. IOTL, the various supply agreement with the US effectively put a handbrake on British transport aircraft design and added a bit to the lend lease bill.

With Britain making their own transport aircraft, this makes Britain less dependent in US aid, and could make British commercial aviation more competitive post war. Still, this is well into the future

Two squadrons of Hurricanes in Malta is far better than what it had OTL as the island was near naked save for a squadron of Gladiators at the outbreak of the war. They could also probably send some Hurricanes to Egypt in the future too. But any movement West by the Germans would probably prevent that.

I wouldn't be surprised it the Admiralty was also producing 20mm cannons for its ships and an earlier introduction of the Oerlikon cannon aboard ships could stave off potential losses there as the RN at this time has the 40mm pom-pop and the Vickers .50cal as its AA guns once you get outside of 4-inch territory and the 20mm would give additional firepower at a greater range than the 50cal's could.

And speaking of the Admiralty, it sounds like the Ark's damage was a bit more severe than was let on, so for Norway she's probably not going to be available, but Furious, Courageous and Glorious are as well as the Eagle and Argus.

ITL the Ark had shock damage that shut down her electrical generators and some underwater damage, (sprung plates) requiring a spell in dry dock. This damage had a major effect on her damage control arrangements including provision of no steam powered generators separate from the engine room spaces. The close shave with Ark Royal has also butterflied the loss of Courageous ITTL. However TTL is an AM Britwank (as plausible as I can make and not an RN/FAA one) and of course having Courageous around does effect aircraft deliveries to Malta and other places.

Two squadrons of Hurricanes in Malta is far better than what it had OTL as the island was near naked save for a squadron of Gladiators at the outbreak of the war. They could also probably send some Hurricanes to Egypt in the future too. But any movement West by the Germans would probably prevent that.

I wouldn't be surprised it the Admiralty was also producing 20mm cannons for its ships and an earlier introduction of the Oerlikon cannon aboard ships could stave off potential losses there as the RN at this time has the 40mm pom-pop and the Vickers .50cal as its AA guns once you get outside of 4-inch territory and the 20mm would give additional firepower at a greater range than the 50cal's could.

And speaking of the Admiralty, it sounds like the Ark's damage was a bit more severe than was let on, so for Norway she's probably not going to be available, but Furious, Courageous and Glorious are as well as the Eagle and Argus.

I think Norway is going to turn into Coastal Commands finest hour. With better aircraft and more of them it should be possible to locate most of the German naval assets at sea earlier than OTL. This should allow the RN to bitch slap the German Navy and reduce the supply of men and material to the German ground forces helping the army when they arrive.

Of course as First Sea Lord Churhill gets much of the plaudits for the naval victory and "luckily having ground forces available to save the Norwegian's". This keeps Chamberlain in the top job a little longer but unless the PAM allows a big butterfly to swoop down and crush the Panzer Divisions on the French northern plains. Chamberlain falls on his sword in the aftermath of the allied defeat. But when Churchill takes over he does so from a position of strength due to a better Norwegian campaign and remembers the invaluable assistance the RAF gave in this moving forward.