I'd have to look it up, but iirc in Whale Has Wings I actually put in an OTL reference to an RAF attack during the Norway campaign that actually DID miss the sea!

The RAF personnel aboard the cruiser is as OTL. In the PAM with Francis Chichester being navigation consultant pre-war and now serving as the AM's chief of air navigation, the RAF ITTL are generally arriving on the right target, on the right continent ant the specified time!!! not always but more often than not.

I'd have to look it up, but iirc in Whale Has Wings I actually put in an OTL reference to an RAF attack during the Norway campaign that actually DID miss the sea!
I could well believe that in the raids on Brest (and other U-boat bases) in at least one case the bombers dropping mines did so over land and those meant to bomb the port dropped them in the sea

Anyone know of such an event?

I could well believe that in the raids on Brest (and other U-boat bases) in at least one case the bombers dropping mines did so over land and those meant to bomb the port dropped them in the sea

Anyone know of such an event?

The Luftwaffe managed to drop a few magnetic mines on dry land allowing the British to devise countermeasures.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
First among those was to exploit the longer range available to the Hurricane Mark III conferred to it by it’s ability to carry two of the FAA’s fifty five gallon torpedo style drop tanks on the wing bomb shackles.
One of the issues with Hurricanes is their poorer rate of climb, right? So they are still going to struggle, although they might find it worthwhile to have limited standing patrols with drop tanks?

That is the problem facing the RAF in the Mediterainean at the moment, with the arrival of the newest Me 109's the Hurricanes and Falcons are outclassed.

In the PAM TL as in OTL by 1941 the Hurricane with the Merlin XX had just about reached it's performance design limit. Hence it's phasing out in the UK.

Don't know they managed to hit not only the wrong countries but ones that were in completely the opposite direction.
Probably flying on a reciprocal, it’s a very common navigation problem that was a factor in some of the “oops, this is THEIR airfield“ moments that gifted the UK with FW190s etc.
On which note the LW also bombed Germany, the USAAF bombed Switzerland and Oklahoma, etc etc. So while the RAF might have been undisputed champions of the bombing blunder it’s not like they were playing unopposed.

That is very interesting, I did not know about her but I did know about the mathematical calculation that was used to Justify the eight gun armament.
Thanks for the information.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
That is the problem facing the RAF in the Mediterainean at the moment, with the arrival of the newest Me 109's the Hurricanes and Falcons are outclassed.
The Hurricane suffers from leading edge drag. It has rough, sagging, gapped and bumpy surfaces. The wings are way too thick at 19% thickness to chord ratio at the wing root (cf 13.5% for the Spitfire). Could something like the P-51 be built by Hawker domestically?
s-l1000.jpg
P-51D.jpg
The spitfire is not the last word on drag reduction. The FW-190 looks like it shaves it, for an example.

Last edited: