AHC: "Northern Irish" Canada

In the Canadian Colonies thread I went off on a tangent and speculated upon a Canada with Northern Ireland-levels of division between Catholics and Protestants. Here it is:

I've had the thought: after the American Revolutionary War and Irish rebellion, the British require settlers in Upper Canada to swear an oath of loyalty to the King/Queen, and specifically rejecting Popery. Irish Catholics are required to settle in Lower Canada and are "encouraged" to marry with Quebecois, thus assimilating them.

Meanwhile, Europe and/or Britain is wracked by another round of Catholic/Protestant conflicts in the 19th century. The British seek to populate British North America, but are fearful of Catholics.

When the Prairies are opened for settlement, farmland is allocated based on religion: Protestants receive the most fertile and accessible land, while Catholics receive less optimal land. High level civil service are tacitly restricted to Anglicans.

By 1900, the religious balance of Canada is as follows:

Quebec: 85% Catholic, 10% Anglican, 5% Presbyterian and other Protestants, some Jews

Ontario: 70% Anglican, 10% Presbyterian, 15% other Protestants (German and Scandinavian Lutherans, Dutch Reformists, a smattering of others), 5% Catholics (mostly underclass workers from Quebec)

Prairies & West: 60% Catholic, 15% Anglican, 15% other Protestants, 10% Russians, Jews, and Chinese thrown in

I've just turned Canada into a giant Northern Ireland! :eek:

Would the British, and later Canadian Family Compact, entertain this policy, especially given how adept they were at divide-and-rule throughout the Empire? Even Australia was beset with such tension until relatively recently.

katchen

Banned
I suspect that one of the reasons why something like this did not happen IOTL was that so many Ulster Scots Irish protestants immigrated to the American colonies and settled in the Appalachian region before their descendants spread throughout the South and particularly the Middle Border. See "Born Fighting" by former US Senator James Webb.

There was a lot of fighting between Catholics and Protestants in OTL. In fact, in central Ontario a group of Protestants called the Cavan Blazers set fire to any Catholic church being built. The only ones which survived were the ones that parishioners slept inside with their shotguns. Ontario also set up two separate school boards, so that Protestants didn't have to send their kids to the same schools that Catholic kids went to. These two boards are still around today.

Elections in Newfoundland were also fought strictly along sectarian lines for the longest time.

And in a lot of places the high positions of government were tacitly restricted to Protestants. The Orange Order ran Ontario for decades, and Montreal was run almost exclusively by Presbyterian Scots.

This would be easier anywhere but the Prairies, unless your POD is restrictions on Central and Eastern European immigration. British Protestant v. Catholic isn't going to be an issue where 80% of the area is settled by Ukrainians, Germans, Russians, and Poles.

This would be easier anywhere but the Prairies, unless your POD is restrictions on Central and Eastern European immigration. British Protestant v. Catholic isn't going to be an issue where 80% of the area is settled by Ukrainians, Germans, Russians, and Poles.

A lot of those Slavs were Catholics though. There's a heck of a lot of Catholic Ukrainian churches around Canada (and the Poles are clearly Catholic). They might toss the Orthodox as a middle group though, not quite WASP but not prone to Popery.

Um, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Canada has pretty much always been a majority (or at least major plurality) Catholic country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada#Religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada#Religious_mix

True, but skewed by the presence of Quebec. Before the post-war rise in immigration, Anglophone Canada was 70% Protestant (by implication). Much of the 30% were Irish.

IOTL religious denomination was close to a non-factor in the settlement policy of all white settlement colonies (no swarthy people allowed, Jews face tougher scrutiny, aboriginals will become "civilized", anyone else is likely swarthy anyways).

The challenge is to create such discrimination which lasts to the present day, like in Northern Ireland. When one side receives overtly favourable government treatment, pre-existing hostilities intensify.

True, but skewed by the presence of Quebec. Before the post-war rise in immigration, Anglophone Canada was 70% Protestant (by implication). Much of the 30% were Irish.

Yeah, but there were plenty of Irish, Ukrainian, and Polish Catholics outside of Quebec, particularly in western Canada. Even before western settlement, there was a significant Irish Catholic presence in the Ottawa valley in the mid 1850's.

I was quite surprised when I realised how sectarian Anglophone British North America was in the 19th century. I'd sort of assumed it had been somehow hand-waved away like in New Zealand.

katchen

Banned
Australia was also extremely sectarian--divided between Anglo-Protestants (Liberal Party) and Celtic Catholics (Australian Labor Party) at Federation. It took until the 1960s for those distinctions to really begin to disappear there,

Australia was also extremely sectarian--divided between Anglo-Protestants (Liberal Party) and Celtic Catholics (Australian Labor Party) at Federation. It took until the 1960s for those distinctions to really begin to disappear there,

More the rough and tumble (low level violence, marches etc) side of sectarianism as opposed to distinct communities who don't' particularly like each other.

New Zealand, just like the others had all of these divides too, but the low level violence/marching only really happened on a low scale before WW1. There are a couple of documented Orange Order marches here and there and of course counter protests, which the Irish Catholics got the worst of, but nothing like what I understand happened in Canada.

In the part of the country where I grew up the sectarian differences really just went away but recently. Older people (60s plus in the late 80s-90s) often held such views, but they were not really held by anyone younger than that in any numbers. The parallel education systems (Catholic private, Protestant state (although not formally so)) had sort of both been merged and the practical differences very low.

IT can be over-egged though. In my instance, my ancestors seem to have married out between RC, Presbyterianism and Anglicanism nearly every generation. Which is one reason why some left Ireland and the UK.